PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help.

nik0tine
04-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Okay, well I just got my computer back from the shop. It had a load of viruses and spyware on it, and now everything on my machine is gone. It seems like they reformatted my harddrive or something. However, they said that all of my stuff was saved or something. I assume it is all backed up. Does anybody know how to retrieve these old files?

Also, my speakers no longer work. Yes they are plugged in but I can't figure out how to get them to work. Help in this area is also appreciated.

And one last thing... The shop owner said that AIM deposits spyware on my computer. My question is, is it possible to not get this spyware, or to remove it after AIM has been installed.

VoodooChild
04-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Ok have you installed drivers for your speakers? I think you need drivers for everything - Im really not sure, but its worth a try

nik0tine
04-06-2005, 03:49 AM
I don't know why I needed them installed, I never installed them before. When I bought these speakers, I just plugged them in and they worked great. However, now I don't know what to do.

Also, I have one more problem. The color is strange (Although acceptable) and things are ever so slightly blurry.

Samuraid
04-06-2005, 05:42 AM
For the backup:
The people who repaired your computer might have placed all your backed up files in a folder on your hard drive. Look through your hard drive to see if you can find any of the backed up files. If not, call them and ask where they placed all of the backed up data.

For your speakers:
Double check to make sure your speakers are correctly powered and plugged into the correct plug on your computer. (Also, try plugging the speakers into another computer, if you have one handy, to make sure the speakers work.)

For AIM:
Many programs could be considered "Spyware" since they gather some form of information from your computer and report it back to the parent company. Instead of using AIM, I would suggest downloading the program called GAIM. GAIM is a 3rd party chat program that works exactly like AIM (it allows you to use your AIM screen names) but its a lot better, and safer, and has better features.
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

As for the blurry screen:
Make sure your monitor cable is securely connected to your computer. Try updating your video drivers to the latest version.

If these solutions don't work, please do the following (to help us figure out what is wrong):
- Go to Start -> Run and run "dxdiag"
- Click the "Save all Information" button to save your computer info to a text file
- Attach the text file to this topic

I hope at least some of this helps. :)

Yrkoon
04-06-2005, 07:37 AM
well if your comps been formatted the sound card dirvers wont be present try installing em and see if it fixes the sound :)