PDA

View Full Version : Aeris: a mary-sue?

Imperia
04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
If you don't really know what a mary-sue is, it's a girl in a story who is almost perfect or is too perfect (though sometimes they are just fictional versions of an author) :) . Do you think Aeris is a mary-sue? If not, why? I'm having trouble deciding this myself.

Chris
04-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Most definitely not.

crazybayman
04-06-2005, 03:50 PM
no.

It was decided on previous threads that she's a drug dealer, and a ho. :p

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 03:50 PM
I dunno, but she's certainly become Mary-Sue like in the eyes of many fans. People tend to overlook her flaws and bad points for the overall 'purpose' of her character. For example, many talk about how shy and quiet and naive she is... which really isnt true. She's very straight-forward and openly flirtatious (and quite mean to Tifa at times, what with the very pushy Cloud-flirting), but people have this idealized view of her as a gentle flower-girl healer.

I'm not saying she's a bad character, but I've noticed that fans tend to overlook her flaws (and Cloud's as well) moreso than the other characters.

When it comes straight-down to the Mary Sue definition, she certainly fits a Mary-Sue mainstay; the tragic death that all the characters mourn and which comes back into play and is re-iterated many times in the story.

Perducci
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
no.

Lenna
04-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Nope, I mean come on!!! She thought of cloud dressing up as a girl!! she probably gets some sort of kick out of it lolol. And she WANTED to go into Don Corneo's mansion regardless of knowing what went on in there!! :P Plus she cant be that innocent asking Cloud to go on a date as reward for being her bodyguard lolol. Even I'm tooo shy to ask someone out on a date yet I'm not innocent *smirks :P*

Drift
04-06-2005, 05:54 PM
nobodies perfect even the person u admire aint u jst dnt wanna see their bad stuff so ur subconscious blocks it out...i bet aeris was swearing in every sentence bt we didnt notice it :P

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Just as an aid for this thread, here's the definition of a Mary-Sue.

Mary Sue: A story in which a new character is so brilliant, witty, amazing, attractive and wonderful that one (or all) of the main canon characters completely falls head over heels for. Basically, this character tends to be a thinly disguised wannabe of the author themselves. This type of fic is usually associated with romantic stories in which the female author lives out her fantasy of being with a particular character through her story. However this designation has come to mean any character that is over-emphasized, whether in the fanon or canon world. When you see or hear something or someone called a "Mary Sue," it tends to be meant as an insult.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Basically, this character tends to be a thinly disguised wannabe of the author themselves.Aeris, however, is a thinly disguised wannabe of the author's dead mother.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Aeris, however, is a thinly disguised wannabe of the author's dead mother.

xD

Oh, and just to make it clear to the world in general, I didnt write that, got it from a website.

Destai
04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I wouldnt think so. I think shes very straightforward and not at all naive at times.

Squall of SeeD
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Aeris, however, is a thinly disguised wannabe of the author's dead mother.

Aerith's death was Nomura's idea. The emphasis on life and death itself was Sakaguchi's, whose mother died early on during the production of the game. Both of the two are credited as coming up with the overall basis for the story, which Nojima and Kitase then fleshed out. In other words, the commonly believed idea that Aerith's death was due to the death of Sakaguchi's mother and that he came up with the idea as a result isn't so. He only ever claimed that it made him think about studying life in a mathematical or logical manner, whereas Nomura claimed to have come up with Aerith dying.

Spiffing Cheese
04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
no.

Heh. V.funny.

Destai
04-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Aerith's death was Nomura's idea. The emphasis on life and death itself was Sakaguchi's, whose mother died early on during the production of the game. Both of the two are credited as coming up with the overall basis for the story, which Nojima and Kitase then fleshed out. In other words, the commonly believed idea that Aerith's death was due to the death of Sakaguchi's mother and that he came up with the idea as a result isn't so. He only ever claimed that it made him think about studying life in a mathematical or logical manner, whereas Nomura claimed to have come up with Aerith dying.I thought he was kidding, but nevertheless *IMPRESSED*
Do you have contacts in Square or something? :p

Ikwens
04-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Most of the Aeris fans think she's a angel. I don't think she's a Mary-Sue.

Luthien Rogue
04-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Aeris isn't a Mary-Sue... she's a daemon's soul in an angel's body, that tricky little bi@tch. ;.;

I thought he was kidding, but nevertheless *IMPRESSED*
Do you have contacts in Square or something?

No, don't be silly. Of course he doesn't have contacts at Square-Enix. Squall's just a sliver of God's supernal spirit, handed to us on a silver platter. :crying2: We are so blessed to have such a beautiful wellspring of knowledge and love in our company. :crying2: He writes in a fanciful and elegant style, but not nearly enough. He has beautifully wicked eyes that one girl cannot help but gaze into for hours upon end. His smile is heartfelt and spreads to her face whenever she sees it. He profusely envelops the dragon lady's heart with love, and goes to her as balm for all scars. :crying2:

But my lionheart must learn to be still, for there's a revolution ready to pounce, when at last he will hold his love in his arms, and we will taste Heaven.

But do not fret, dear Destai, for you too can learn how to read online articles regarding Final Fantasy VII and regurgitate them before an assemblage of pixels representing people. :spin:

~Rogue :skull3:

Squall of SeeD
04-18-2005, 08:12 PM
[Stuff]

^____^ :love:

What she said, Destai. ^_^

TurkSlayer
04-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I just thinks she's an evil demon of the underworld out to consume Cloud's soul. But I called her a Mary Sue because I hate Mary Sues. *Holds up sheild in preperation for angry beating from Aeris fans*

BG-57
04-18-2005, 11:37 PM
She doesn't fit either definition of Mary Sue.

However, I'm curious if the term comes from an actual person/character named Mary Sue.

TheAbominatrix
04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
The name comes from a Star Trek fanfiction writer whose character Mary-Sue (I believe it was the author's name as well) was made specifically to be a love interest for Spock. Her character changed Spock's personality completly, and then she died in some dramatic way, causing a butt-load of angst (Aerith does fit honorable death = super angst clause).

Cybele
04-18-2005, 11:54 PM
I just thinks she's an evil demon of the underworld out to consume Cloud's soul. But I called her a Mary Sue because I hate Mary Sues. *Holds up sheild in preperation for angry beating from Aeris fans*

Um, yeah, okay...you must be a major Tifa fan. This is really getting annoying now. :mad:

But um, on topic, she's about the closest thing you're going to get to a Mary Sue in an FF game. That's not saying that much though (considering that every character seems to have some problem and a lot of characters did seem to like Aeris, not head over heels though). Actually, if anyone is a Mary Sue, it's probably Yuna. Aeris was no where near naive or shy, she was outspoken and usually had a good idea of what was really going on. That's why I like her. I've never really liked a shy character because in a game, particularly an FF game because of how much a character's personality matters, it just annoys me. I'm not by any means saying that a shy character is bad, but they just annoy me for some reason. I guess I just don't have enough patience for them.

PearlRose
04-19-2005, 01:00 AM
While I don't consider Aeris to be a Mary-Sue, I do agree with whoever said earlier that the fan interpertation of her overlooks the flaws and makes her seem very Sue-ish.

Nothing against Aeris, and if one were too really look at her character and whatnot, she's really not that unbalanced. She'll still never be one of my favorites, but that is just my personal opinion. ^^

In short Aeris isn't a Sue, despite how so many of the fans characterize. She does embody some Sue-like qualities (ie. tragedy and magical powers) but not enough that it overwhelms her entire character.

A lot of characters in RPG's tend to mirror at least one or two of the generalized "Mary-Sue traits" - I think it's just the nature of the genre.

TurkSlayer
04-19-2005, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=TurkSlayer]I just thinks she's an evil demon of the underworld out to consume Cloud's soul. But I called her a Mary Sue because I hate Mary Sues. *Holds up sheild in preperation for angry beating from Aeris fans*

Um, yeah, okay...you must be a major Tifa fan. This is really getting annoying now. :mad:
QUOTE]

Actually, I'm not too huge of a Tifa fan. I like her a lot more than Aeris, but I'm not a major fan. I just Really HATE Aeris.