PDA

View Full Version : How come...

Spiffing Cheese
04-06-2005, 10:17 PM
How come AC isn't coming to cinemas? That would rock!

Destai
04-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally it was too short to be released in cinemas but Square are discussing it with the companies helping make the movie. Plus the staff still get nightmares from the spirits within.

Greiver205
04-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Yea it would be awesome seeing cloud on the big screen...but not everyone knows or has played FF 7 so it might not interest everyone...mostly fans would watch it

Spiffing Cheese
04-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally it was too short to be released in cinemas but Square are discussing it with the companies helping make the movie. Plus the staff still get nightmares from the spirits within.

That has to be the worst film I have EVER seen. And I have seen a LOT of bad films.

Lunar Yuna
04-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Americans have to format the movie not to mention translating and all that business. I think it also has to do with movie rights in Japan...I don't think they're allowed to show it here. For example, I went to an anime in a small theater in downtown Nashville (near where I live), and they were playing it off a dvd player. You aren't allowed to charge money--it's illegal and they don't have the rights. It's the same as if you invited your friends over to watch an anime--you can't charge them (you shouldn't, anyway, and it's illegal).
So, it has more to do with the rights and such than anything else.

Squall of SeeD
04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Americans have to format the movie not to mention translating and all that business. I think it also has to do with movie rights in Japan...I don't think they're allowed to show it here. For example, I went to an anime in a small theater in downtown Nashville (near where I live), and they were playing it off a dvd player. You aren't allowed to charge money--it's illegal and they don't have the rights. It's the same as if you invited your friends over to watch an anime--you can't charge them (you shouldn't, anyway, and it's illegal).
So, it has more to do with the rights and such than anything else.

It's perfectly fine and dandy when it's licensed by an American company for distribution in American theatres, the same as was the case with Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away.

My name is...something..?
04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
True it would be cool, I just don't think it's going to happen.
I mean the last time they released a movie they lost MILLIONS of dollars. Getting the movie companies involoved is expensive,and I don't think they'd take the risk. While I can see it coming out in theaters in Japan easily enough, getting it to come out in America is just a huge financial risk.

Of course I could be wrong, but I won't get my hopes up.

Lunar Yuna
04-06-2005, 11:54 PM
It's perfectly fine and dandy when it's licensed by an American company for distribution in American theatres, the same as was the case with Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away.

I don't recall Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away ever in American theaters....lol, I know it's TN, but I was sure it would be in at least one of our theaters..... :confused:
Maybe I'm just never paying attention...

BackRoomKid
04-07-2005, 12:00 AM
^^^you said you went in a small movie theatre right? And someone was playing the movie off the DVD player? Well, it's not only against the law for JUST Anime movies, it's against the law for American, Italian, French, German....etc movies as well. Usually before a movie there's that big FBI WARNING and it talks about public display of the movies for commercial purposes and reproduction...it's for every movie

it's possible they may release it in select independant theatre's approved by Japan and SE

Lunar Yuna
04-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, I know it wasn't an illegal display--so many people come and I'm sure they've done it a lot before.
I think they somehow got permission.

Now I'm not a copyright pro, so I can't really back it up with accurate theories, but I really don't think it was illegal.

Destai
04-07-2005, 01:04 AM
I can picture a wide categorey of people drawn to FFVIIAC because of the CGI. good reviews would help.

Big D
04-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Advent Children would be of no interest at all to anybody except FFVII fans. The plot and characters would be meaningless and incomprehensible to those who don't know the full story.

Thus, there just wouldn't be enough demand to warrant releasing AC in cinemas. Too few people would go and see it.

Spiffing Cheese
04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
I didn't think about that.

TheAbominatrix
04-07-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't recall Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away ever in American theaters....lol, I know it's TN, but I was sure it would be in at least one of our theaters..... :confused:
Maybe I'm just never paying attention...

They were, as were My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Anyway, Square isnt looking for a repeat perfromance of TSW fiasco. It costs a lot more to put a movie into theatres and to promote it, and without garunteed financial gain they probably arent willing to risk it. However, it will probably be in a few independant theatres (a theatre in my area showed Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door), and I'll be seeing FFVII:AC on the big screen at Cal State Fullerton.

Big D is completly right, as is usually the case with him. There's no draw for the average movie-going public.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Isn't it going to be just 70 minutes long, anyway?

Spiffing Cheese
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I didn't realise it was that short :p

MecaKane
04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
(a theatre in my area showed Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door), and I'll be seeing FFVII:AC on the big screen at Cal State Fullerton.
I think Knockin on Heaven's Door was in limited release like other anime movies, it was rated by the MPAA and stuff, they even rated the trailer and rated it R, too.

Destai
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Isn't it going to be just 70 minutes long, anyway?Thats what the most recent interview said but an interview with a much more known creator said it would be 90 mins in an older interview.

Razo
04-07-2005, 11:43 PM

That has to be the worst film I have EVER seen. And I have seen a LOT of bad films.

Yeah, i hated it.. I mean, i tried to like it the second time, but noooo... :'(

Lenna
04-08-2005, 03:15 AM

Yeah, i hated it.. I mean, i tried to like it the second time, but noooo... :'(

When I saw TSW, I disliked it immediately, (my little sister liked it but shes got no taste lol!), it hard hardly anything to do with Final Fantasy at all.. I mean, Gaia was the only connection I think. It was too boring, and too much of an Action movie to be classed as an FF :/, I hope it gets deleted from the UK in years to come. then we'll be freed from the rubbishness of it.

Squall of SeeD
04-08-2005, 06:15 AM
When I saw TSW, I disliked it immediately, (my little sister liked it but shes got no taste lol!), it hard hardly anything to do with Final Fantasy at all.. I mean, Gaia was the only connection I think.

In which case it had as much to do with Final Fantasy as most any other Final Fantasy.

Warning: Final Fantasy VI-X-2, Tactics, and The Spirits Within spoilers ahead.

The film very much fit in with the rest of the Final Fantasy series in terms of theme. The Gaia concept of The Spirits Within is exactly the same as the Lifestream concept of Final Fantasy VII and the Cycle of Souls of Final Fantasy IX. Earth's Gaia (The Spirits Within) is that Planet's Lifestream, the same as Gaia's Lifestream (Final Fantasy VII) is that Planet's Gaia, and the other Gaia's "light"l (Final Fantasy IX) is its Lifestream/Gaia.

Further still, seeing as how Final Fantasy X's Magic concept is exactly the same as Final Fantasy VII's (Pyreflies/Spirit Energy crystalize into Spheres/Materia) and the Farplane at the center of Spira is full of Pyreflies (Spirit Energy) in a very similar fashion to the Lifestream at the center of Gaia, which is composed of Spirit Energy.

What we're told in The Spirits Within is that a spirit returns to the Gaia, taking with it the memories and experiences of its body's lifetime. Bugenhagen says the same thing in Final Fantasy VII about one's Spirit Energy returning to the Lifestream. We're further made aware that the memories within the Materia (crystalized Spirit Energy) is what interacts between the Materia's holder and the Planet, calling forth Magicks.

In Final Fantasy X and X-2, we have Spheres, which are also composed of Spirit Energy (Pyreflies) and which contain memories (most strongly emphasised by the Dresspheres and Lenne's Spirit Energy having become the Songstress Dressphere). Further still, the Fayth of Final Fantasy X created a new Zanarkand in a dream dimension from their memories of the place, and Yu Yevon was able to tap into the power of these memories and fashion them into Sin. Also, Yuna experienced Lenne's memories while wearing the Songstress Dressphere.

In Final Fantasy VIII, we have People lose their memories when they're Junctioned to a GF, essentially acting as a "Fayth" of sorts for that GF .

In Final Fantasy: Tactics, when someone dies in battle, if their timer reaches "0" and their spirit becomes a crystal, by moving another character to the spot where the crystal sits, they can learn an ability that the Person who died knew.

In Final Fantasy VI, when Espers die, their spirits crystalize into Magicite. By equipping this Magicite, People can learn Spells that the Espers knew (such as Fire Spells from Ifrit).

In Final Fantasy IX, the Mist that covered Gaia was the excess energy of those spirits that were unable to return to the Crystal due to the Iifa Tree's intereference. The Black Mages were manufactured from this Mist. The Black Mages had inherent Magical abilities.

In Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Aki had recurring experiences of the death of the Phantom homeworld (in a similar fashion to how Yuna had recurring experiences of Lenne's death in Final Fantasy X-2) after a piece of a Phantom became isolated inside her body. She was experiencing that Phantom's memories. Further, the Phantoms were all ghosts, carried to the Earth on a chunk of their planet that contained their Planet's Gaia. Also, the Energy Packs used to power everything were some derivative of organic material we're told, but they obviously contain some spiritual properties in that one of the Eight Spirits was an Energy Pack.

It's likely that every Planet in the Final Fantasy universe has a Lifestream, and in the cases of several games, Spirit Energy and memories are shown to be the source of Magicks. In this respect, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within very much fits with the rest of the series. And for those who are just looking for mascots, a Chocobo emblem appears twice during the film, once Aki's shirt when she wakes up early in the film before the conference with the Council, Hein, and Dr. Sid, and a second time when an airship's pilot and co-pilot are taken out by a Phantom and the airship is crashing, one of the fleeing pedestrians carrying a briefcase with the emblem on it. Further, there is a Sid/Cid.

There's always a tie between the Final Fantasies, I assure you. If you're not seeing it, you're simply not looking in the right places.

Big D
04-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Also, the Energy Packs used to power everything were some derivative of organic material we're told, but they obviously contain some spiritual properties in that one of the Eight Spirits was an Energy Pack.Yep; in the film, we're told that they farm micro-organisms in order to extract their bio-etheric energy ('spirit' energy) and use it as a source of power.

When the phantoms invade New York City, they travel through the energy conduits, riding the energy pathways like a surfer on a wave.

It's a great concept, and the film dealt with it well, although in too little detail. I prefer FFVII's handling of the matter.