PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons

ViVincent
04-07-2005, 04:20 AM
My friends are planning on starting a game of D and D. I have never played and have tried to read a players manual to just grow more and more confuesed. Can anyone make any recomedations on this to do or characters to be etc. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Work on the basics of the character (what race, what class, what backstory, etc.) and roll whatever dice they tell you to roll. While playing, remember your character has the freedom to do whatever you can do and more (so long as you make the appropriate skill check when necessary).

Super Christ
04-07-2005, 06:30 AM
It's pretty easy. Assuming your friend knows what he's doing, come up with a character idea of what you want to play and he should help you try and build it. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of GMs who don't want to put the work into making a custom class for your character or something like that. Anyway, assuming the guy knows what he's doing he should be able to walk you through it fine, and it's pretty easy to pick up once you actually start playing it.

KoShiatar
04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Try to fit in the character's mental scheme as much as you can.
For instance, a cleric will never say such things as "The Gods don't care about us" , a druid will never make the animals he evokes die in stupid ways because he respects them all deeply, and a drow won't go around in the full sunlight and make friends with all the Elves he meets (a standard drow, at least.)
As for the rest, if you have a good master he'll help you fit in the setting and keep an eye on your skills. Just do what he says and you'll have a whole world of fun.

Good luck!

Shoeberto
04-07-2005, 08:26 PM
If you've played nothing but console RPGs in the past, you're gonna get reaaal bored.

Palindrome
04-07-2005, 09:29 PM
i tried D&D once. Had a few good sessions but for me it was the final step into nerdism. I never want to go back to that.