PDA

View Full Version : Jpop/Jrock...Who loves it??!?!??

AkiraMakie
04-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Ok, im sure this is a topic that has been posted before, but since im new here, i havent seen it. Who here likes Jpop/Jrock and what are your favorite bands/singers.

As for jpop,

I dont accually listen to alot of jpop but this is one girl i defiantely listen.
I love Utada Hikaru. There's just something about her. Not only that, when she sings and uses English, its accually fluent english and not something just thrown together like in Most jpop/jrock songs(this is because Hikki was raised in NYC, so she's fluent in English). I have two of her CD's.

As for Jrock,

Luna Sea would be my favorite. They have so many great songs. Hell they have so many great albums. Definately one of the best jrock bands there ever was.

L'arc~en~ciel is a good band too. They sing one of the theme songs to fullmetel Alchamist, Ready steady Go. They are ok, but i some times i dont really like how the lead singer hyde sings. Definately up there as a band to me though.

These are my two favorite jrock bands

Now This is a are a group i like, but i dont really know how to classify them. But they probably fall closer to jpop if anything else.

Do as Infinity. They are good, they do one of the ending songs to inuyasha, "Fukai Mori". Pretty good song. i guess.

anywayz, i love jmusic, its what got me into really wanting to learn and study the japanese language. i had always wanted to learn it, but when i started listening to jmusic, i really got serious about it.

what about the rest of you?

TheAbominatrix
04-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I've loved J-music for many years, I cant get enough of it.

J-pop = Bonnie Pink, Hikaru Utada, BoA (though she's C-pop technically), Morning Musume, Hitomi Yaida, 3nin Matsuri, Ali Project, Ayaka Komatsu, Keiko Kitagawa, Puffy AmiYumi, Psycho le Cemu

J-rock = 12012, 175R, B'z, Shiina Ringo, Aucifer, Gackt, L'Arc~en~Ciel (they do a lot of anime themes), Doping Panda, Fra-Foa, Glay, Globe, Judy and Mary, The Pillows, Mad Capsule Markets, Smap, X-Japan

J-punk = Baiser, Balzac, Guitar Wolf, Blankey Jet City, Brahman, The Jet Boys, The Stalin, The Piass, Tokyo Sex Destruction, Yellow Machinegun, Melt Banana

I made my lists long for people who may wanna explore these bands. I could have made em waaaay longer, considering all the music I have and all the ones on my hard drive.

I first got into J-music from anime, as most people do. The first song I fell in love with is Dali's "Moonlight Densetsu", the theme song to Sailormoon. Ever since then I've been an avid collector of J-music cds and mp3s.

Resha
04-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I like J-Pop and Rock, but I can't say I listen to it much. Just what few anime songs I can, and Utada Hikaru. SHE has a really unique voice. xD

Marshall Banana
04-07-2005, 07:58 PM
It's all I listen to.

My favs include: Gackt, Malice Mizer, Hyde/L'Arc~en~Ciel, Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada, Myco/Changin' My Life, Maaya Sakamoto, Do As Infinity, Tackey & Tsubasa, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, etc. There are several more that I like ^^; but that's all I can think of right now.
I'm listening to OLIVIA at the moment.

I haven't listened to any punk yet so I'm gonna have a listen to some of the bands TheAbominatrix listed. :)

TheAbominatrix
04-07-2005, 10:13 PM
For Marshall and anyone else interested in Japanese punk, you can do what I did and randomly download the bands listed on these Japanese punk communities. I offer these cause it can be rather difficult to find a list of really good J-punk.
http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=japanesepunk
http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=japanpunk
By the way, the best p2p client for finding music like this is SoulSeek. So use that.

Chris
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
After having a Japanese brother I kinda fell into it, but as the storm subsided, my interest slowly faded... and now the only J-Music I listen to is Yoko Ono. (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:se1m962o3ep3)

Rye
04-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I like j-pop. I've only heard one j-rock song though and it was kinda weird.

Dingo Jellybean
04-07-2005, 11:33 PM
I was never into anime, and as you can probably conclude, never into J-(insert genre here).

The whole language barrier is a HUGE issue for me. If I can't understand the lyrics, I don't listen to it...with maybe exception to some Lacuna Coil songs in Italian...but only because I've heard the english translation.

I've tried listening to J-pop, it never appealed to me. I know it's probably Kylie Minogue in another language, but I can't really stand to listen to it. Some J-instrumental is probably the only music from Japan I can tolerate.

But I've heard some J-rap...admittedly it's not that bad, and some groups do sound "black"(I use this term very loosely), but after listening to some lyrics (some J-rap groups rap in English)...I'll just stick with rap in the states.

Rye
04-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I actually enjoy the language barrier, because if the lyrics suck as much of the pop genre's lyrics do, you don't cringe while hearing. But then again, it's hard to sing along.

Dingo Jellybean
04-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I actually enjoy the language barrier, because if the lyrics suck as much of the pop genre's lyrics do, you don't cringe while hearing. But then again, it's hard to sing along.

Yeah, I know when a song is good when I sing along to it unvoluntarily. Some of the LC songs I've heard sound better in Italian than English.

I mean it's hard to sing in another language, because if your pronunciation is off, so is your key.

Lucky Charms
04-07-2005, 11:49 PM
I like to listen to the following J-pop stuff: SweetS, DA PUMP, The Brilliant Green, Tommy feburary6, Tommy heavenly6, Tomoko Kawase, Utada Hikaru, Hikaru Utada, Morning Musume, Orange Range, M-flo, BoA, KOTOKO, Koda Kumi, move, Ken Hirai, Se7en, S-word, Shimatani Hitomi, Otsuka Ai, The Pillows, Do as infinity, EXILE, dream, KinKi Kids, Suzuki Ami, Amuro Namie

Rye
04-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Amuro Namie, Utada Hikaru, Kuraki Mai, BoA and few other artists I don't remember are great.

rubah
04-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Merry is AWESOME.

just thought I'd mention that.

The Alfee did a few good songs too.

Vaprice
04-08-2005, 02:58 AM
I myself do like some Japanese music mostly pop, because the rock is rather weird there. KOREAN music is also good....*if you haven't guessed yet.....Im korean XD *

But Utada is by far my favorite singer.

TheAbominatrix
04-08-2005, 03:00 AM
I found a collection of some really good Korean punk rock. I believe the name of the album was We are the Punx in Korea. I highly recommend it to punk fans.

XxSephirothxX
04-08-2005, 03:02 AM
I've listened to a very small selection of Jpop, and liked a bit of it. The opening/ending songs of Rurouni Kenshin are generally good, and Simple and Clean is great, but I like the English remixed version more than the Japanese one.

AkiraMakie
04-08-2005, 11:00 AM
heh, am i teh only one who loves Luna sea....? C'mon, where are my luna sea fans, i know your out there.

Yeah, i can understand the language barrier thing, but i enjoyed it when i first started listening. It was like, jrock sounded like jibberish when i first started listening. But after i really started listening to jmusic, i started realizing that i had developed an ear for the language. I may not understand the words, but i can now "hear" it. It no longer sounded like jiberish. I could pick out words, i could also start to hear when they were using english words and alot of things about the language started to stick out. I think this helped me in when i accually started learning the language.

Anywayz, you guys brought up alot of other artist i like but didnt mention. The pillows are cool too. Not really my taste, but cool.

If any of you buy the accually CD's, what are some of the sites you use. I personally order off www.cdjapan.co.jp , They usually have a good selection of things at a reasonable price. Unless you have it shipped EMS (which i have to have because im too impatient to wait a month for a CD. EMS almost adds another 15dollors onto the price.