PDA

View Full Version : Another FF Rip off (I think)

MJN SEIFER
04-07-2005, 09:19 PM
When you go to Cleyra: There is an Antlion that APARENTLY doesn't like fighting people but for no real reason goes mental and you DO end up figthing it.

With me so far? Good.

Now In Not only does the same Enemy appear in FFIV but It too aposes fighting but attaks you. Coincidense or one of the many rip offs that made FFIX so memorable?

TheAbominatrix
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
It's not a rip off, it's a reference. And no, it isnt coincidence.

Rip off = directly copying something else because of lack of ideas.
Reference = paying tribute to something else by mentioning it/something about it.

FFIX was all about those references.

My name is...something..?
04-07-2005, 10:17 PM
You think all the throw backs were ripoffs?
This game was paying homage to all the classic games.
You totally missed the point.

MJN SEIFER
04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Wrong word sorry.

Old Manus
04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
In both games, the Antlion attacks a prince. It was deliberate.

Chris
04-07-2005, 11:36 PM
It's not a rip off, it's a reference. And no, it isnt coincidence.

Rip off = directly copying something else because of lack of ideas.
Reference = paying tribute to something else by mentioning it/something about it.

FFIX was all about those references.

Couldn't have said it better, well put.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-08-2005, 02:53 AM
Because an abundance of references makes a game suck? Did it ever occur to you that just maybe..

THAT WAS INTENTIONAL? Who would have thought.

Zerlina
04-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Poor guy. Says one thing wrong and everyone's on him like an antlion on a prince. ;)

MJN SEIFER
04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Because an abundance of references makes a game suck? Did it ever occur to you that just maybe..

THAT WAS INTENTIONAL? Who would have thought.

*Scans his own post* Umm Where abouts did I say FFIX Sucked? It's an Excelent game!

fahadalhasan
04-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Final Fantasy IX was not a rip-off! Maybe it was boring with all those references, but you get to love them in the end!

Heath
04-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I liked the references myself. It was one of the factors that made me want to play the earlier FF games, and it was fun noticing them when I went back to FFIX after beating I and IV-VI.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-09-2005, 01:29 PM
*Scans his own post* Umm Where abouts did I say FFIX Sucked? It's an Excelent game!

I don't know, but I caught a hint of sarcasm in the line "Coincidense or one of the many rip offs that made FFIX so memorable?"

Which sounds like an attack on FFIX. Generally, people don't enjoy something that they catagorize as a rip-off.

Blitzer Lionheart
04-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately, the english vocabulary is 10% definition, 90% utilisation.

Yeah, there WERE a lot of references to the previous FF's. I think that Square was just trying to give a 'look how far we've come' element into IX. It's my 2nd favourite FF.

Funny, how Antlions are so similar. However, there is always a catch. The Antlion was probably just a plot device to expand on the (however short lived) secondary character of Puck (who is, of course, a reference to Shakespeares 'A Midsummer Nights Dream').

th30wn4g3
04-15-2005, 05:07 AM
i beleive it relics the mood and style of the older games. thats pretty much why its my favorite of the playstation era. i didnt feel finding "materia" as fun as finding espers i mean come on summon and magic cant loose there.