PDA

View Full Version : What!? You don't know that song!? That's crazy, man!

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm not talking about songs that you think are the best or anything, I'm talking about songs that are incredibly famous yet people just don't seem to know. I used to think that, for example, everyone knew the song With or Without You by U2. I've been shocked over the past years to find that there are so many people who simply don't know the song by title - and even more shocked to find that, upon receiving this song, they still don't know what it is. I was baffled! But oh well. Anyway, have you had any similar experiences? And please try to avoid recent big hits by American / British bands that are obviously big in one country but aren't really outside that country. I'm talking about extremely, extremely famous songs that have been well known on a global scale.

Miriel
04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
I've met people who didn't even know who U2 were, let alone any of their songs. How's that for shocking?

One of my suitemates has never heard of Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan. The poor girl has lived a severely sheltered life.

jrgen
04-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I respect people who succeed in ignoring popular music.

**ShadowZone**
04-08-2005, 01:29 PM
One of my suitemates has never heard of Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan. The poor girl has lived a severely sheltered life.

That poor, poor girl.. (shakes head)

Del Murder
04-09-2005, 03:41 AM
I haven't heard most popular songs. I have lived a very sheltered life.

I may or may not have heard the two mentioned already, but I can at least tell you I have no idea what they are by title alone. I don't pay attention to the titles of songs, or lyrics for that matter, but I will never forget a melody, even if I just casually hear it in a store or something.

XxSephirothxX
04-09-2005, 03:49 AM
Can anyone tell me who Elvis was? I've always wondered...
I think it's important for people to at least be exposed to famous music, like it's important to be exposed to classical films.

Shoeberto
04-09-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm generally pretty dumb about recent popular music. I don't care much for the crap played on the radio.

I was suprised to find out my friend, that I had recalled hearing talking about '80s rock, didn't know who Axl Rose was.

Oh, and I've never heard of that U2 song, either.

Raven Nox
04-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Yes well, I don't know alot of popular songs, as I almost never listein to the radio, except Alice in the moring with Sarah and No Name... I really don't know like any of the songs metioned here... o.o

Big D
04-09-2005, 05:17 AM
One of my suitemates has never heard of Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan. The poor girl has lived a severely sheltered life.I'd never heard of that song until someone gave a speech about the movie Knocking on Heaven's Door in German class, two years ago. They played a few clips from the film, including the opening credits - with that song.

Meat Puppet
04-09-2005, 05:57 AM
I don't like it when people can't name who Fred Durst covered on "Behind Blue Eyes". :(

Dingo Jellybean
04-09-2005, 07:03 AM
I remember that I asked one of my co-workers if they heard "Too Close" by Next. They said they never heard the song and I was shocked. Too Close was, I don't know, the #1 Billboard hit for 1998. She never heard of "You're Still The One" either, and she claims to be into popular music. Pu-lease.

Rainecloud
04-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I'd never heard of Bob Dylan before last year.

Come to think of it, I wish I'd never found out about his music.

nik0tine
04-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Come to think of it, I wish I'd never found out about his music.

What? Why? That's a crazy statement!

-N-
04-09-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't really like Bob Dylan either, but one can't deny his place as a music icon.

Armisael
04-09-2005, 10:51 AM
My last boyfreind didn't know The Final Countdown by Europe!!

Skogs
04-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I remember that I asked one of my co-workers if they heard "Too Close" by Next. They said they never heard the song and I was shocked. Too Close was, I don't know, the #1 Billboard hit for 1998. She never heard of "You're Still The One" either, and she claims to be into popular music. Pu-lease.

Never heard of them.

Until a couple of years ago, I'd never heard of Pixies.

DaggerFlux
04-09-2005, 12:40 PM
i was shocked to learn that only one person out of my close group of friends knew red hot chili peppers under the bridge, i honestly thought everyone knew that song.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I know two people who have honestly never heard of a song by Green Day.

"Satyricon"
04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
i know a dude who had never heard summer of 69 by bryan adams...i doesnt matter if u like the song or not..but c'mon, everybody have heard that song!

jrgen
04-09-2005, 10:25 PM
A lot of people just choose not to care about popular culture.
It isn't really that weird.
My german teacher had never heard of Star Wars for example.

Raven Nox
04-09-2005, 10:32 PM
A lot of people just choose not to care about popular culture.
It isn't really that weird.
My german teacher had never heard of Star Wars for example.

o.O How'd he/she do that? IT'S EVERYWHERE!!!!

Chris
04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Pull Up to the Bumper by Grace Jones.
Everybody seems to have heard it... yet, no one knows it's by Jones. :(

Del Murder
04-09-2005, 11:10 PM
I still cannot recognize a single song mentioned in this thread.

Yamaneko
04-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Aerosmith - Rag Doll

UltimaLimit
04-10-2005, 03:12 AM
i was shocked to learn that only one person out of my close group of friends knew red hot chili peppers under the bridge, i honestly thought everyone knew that song.I'm at a loss for words, except to say, for God's sake, play that song for them!

Strider
04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Apparently, there are some people who don't know who did Master of Puppets around these parts.

jrgen
04-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Apparently, there are some people who don't know who did Master of Puppets around these parts.
That isn't really that weird.
Most people aren't aware of what they sounded like before they turned mainstream.
It would be odder if they didn't know who did Nothing else Matters or Enter Sandman.

Del Murder
04-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Aerosmith - Rag Doll
Yay! Thank you as always, Yams.

Doc Sark
04-11-2005, 09:52 AM
When I was in the car with my girlfriend, Stairway to Heaven came on.

She asked me what it was and who it was by...ooooh and it made me wonder.

Ko Ko
04-11-2005, 11:44 AM
I've never heard any of these songs.

crazybayman
04-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I really don't recognize many of these songs - I'll bet its because they're played on the radio lately, and they play utter crap on the radio these days. Therefore I usually make it a point to ignore the radio.

I do recognize those ones that were release during the 80's and 90's. The 90's are my golden age in music.

Nod
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
When I was in the car with my girlfriend, Stairway to Heaven came on.

She asked me what it was and who it was by...ooooh and it made me wonder.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup, ive met people who dont know that song either- tragic.

DaggerFlux
04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
i was shocked to learn that only one person out of my close group of friends knew red hot chili peppers under the bridge, i honestly thought everyone knew that song.I'm at a loss for words, except to say, for God's sake, play that song for them!

lol i did, they still swore they had never heard it, i find it pretty strange, but that could be just me

UltimaLimit
04-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Keep praying for them to accept UTB into their life. :bow:

Another song people should've heard of is Bodies, by Drowning Pool. Even before I'd heard the entire song, the words "Let the bodies hit the floor" had stuck in my head for years. I thought it was a false memory or something until I had the good fortune to hear that song and go, "Oh, yeah! I remember now!"

-N-
04-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I've met people who thought Smashing Pumpkins did Landslide first. :\ Although I think their version is really good, Fleetwood Mac still did it first.