PDA

View Full Version : This is ANNOYING.

Ko Ko
04-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Why are the posts suddenly grouping up on eachother?!
It wastes space AND time!!
Please stop it, please!!

crashNUMBERS
04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
What do you mean by that??

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I really don't know what you mean by grouping up on each other... can you elaborate?

Heath
04-08-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing she's on about the multiple quote thing, that 'Kishi wanted back =P

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh yeah that. Uhm. Well. It's back... it might just take some getting used to. But if people are going to keep quoting each other over and over, don't worry, I'll get rid of it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Or you could do the right thing and just edit their posts. The intelligent people here shouldn't have to suffer because of the crap gushed forth by semi-sentient blobs of jerk idiocy.

Heath
04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Or you could do the right thing and just edit their posts. The intelligent people here shouldn't have to suffer because of the crap gushed forth by semi-sentient blobs of jerk idiocy.

Well... there is that, which is simple enough.

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, yeah, but I mean if it reaches EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS.

Heath
04-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Oh, I thought 'Kishi meant that for quoting other people just take out their posts to get the part of posts you want to respond to.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 02:41 PM
My last post was in response to Kishi but you posted before I did or something, so I'm completely lost. Let's have cookies.

T-MaN
04-08-2005, 02:50 PM
How about if I just stop quoting for a while? Would that help?

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 02:52 PM
It would probably help, but you don't need to, just make sure that you don't quote quotes of quotes of quotes, if you get what I mean. :p

T-MaN
04-08-2005, 02:59 PM
LoL, alrite I won't do that :D

Nod
04-08-2005, 02:59 PM
To be honest, its not difficult to quote someone and then edit what you've quoted- just put a blurb about it in the FAQ and then tell people off for not reading it.

edczxcvbnm
04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
This is what it looks like when it gets bad

http://www.fools-gold.org/forum/showpost.php?p=316758&postcount=19

Keep in mind that this is with out paragraphs of text.

Leeza
04-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Seeing all of these pyramids reminds me now of why this quote thing was removed in the first place and I now agree with the decision...again. These pyramids look terrible, even if they do contain only two quotes. :mad: I would rather go through the pain of copy/pasting every quote that I need in order not to have to look at these ugly pyramid posts. Yes, they are ugly.

edczxcvbnm
04-08-2005, 05:15 PM
<b><<b></b>Edit by Kishi: See what I did here was</b>

Destai
04-08-2005, 05:29 PM
<b>I deleted the crap.><b></b></b>

Cybele
04-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Seeing all of these pyramids reminds me now of why this quote thing was removed in the first place and I now agree with the decision...again. These pyramids look terrible, even if they do contain only two quotes. :mad: I would rather go through the pain of copy/pasting every quote that I need in order not to have to look at these ugly pyramid posts. Yes, they are ugly.

Leeza, after seeing those hideously big and ugly pyramids in this thread, I totally agree with you.

edczxcvbnm
04-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Kawaii once again proves his greatness...but now there isn't an example of the tons of crap ;_;

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
You two might be more concerned with appearance, but the rest of us will be happy with the added ease-of-use of those "pyramids." :p '

Practicality > aesthetics

Nod
04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
At the end of the day, the only advantage of multi-quoting is it saves time. But not that much time, so if one is prepared to make the effort of posting then surely one can make the effort to copy and paste etc.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 06:07 PM
At the end of the day, the only advantage of multi-quoting is it saves time. But not that much time, so if one is prepared to make the effort of posting then surely one can make the effort to copy and paste etc.
It not only saves time, but it also makes the comments <i>make sense</i> to the readers.

Nod
04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
It not only saves time, but it also makes the comments <i>make sense</i> to the readers.

I see your point. Im unsure as to how it could be done, but surely some kind of limit could put on the amount of quotes allowed within quotes?

Leeza
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
One quote at a time, yes, that makes the comments make sense to the readers. Quoting three or four posts at once because someone is too lazy to delete the unnecessary ones in the pile makes an eyesore.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 06:19 PM
One quote at a time, yes, that makes the comments make sense to the readers. Quoting three or four posts at once because someone is too lazy to delete the unnecessary ones in the pile makes an eyesore.
What happens when someone double-posts? Do you make a new program to make double-posting impossible? No, you delete the post. If someone does it increasingly often, you warn the member.

Leeza
04-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't want to even <i>have</i> to warn a member because I don't want to see them period. Any use of them at all is too much as far as I'm concerned.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't want to even <i>have</i> to warn a member because I don't want to see them period. Any use of them at all is too much as far as I'm concerned.
Again, so do you want to get rid of double-posting period?

And how is one use too much? It makes debating and rebutting <i>so</i> much easier. I consider the it an extremely valuable asset in WE and EoEO threads.

Leeza
04-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Please don't compare double posting to quoting pyramids.

As I have said before, even one use of pyramids is too much because it is enough of an eyesore to throw whatever convenience that it might have to offer out the window. Of course, this is all just my opinion, but I'll fight for it.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Please don't compare double posting to quoting pyramids.
Why not? They're parallel, as far as I see it. Both are an aesthetic annoyance, one of which has been fixed by edits from moderators, and one which you suggest remove? It doesn't make sense.

As I have said before, even one use of pyramids is too much because it is enough of an eyesore to throw whatever convenience that it might have to offer out the window.
So, one person using it once nullifies the dozens of people that it helps? If people abuse it, edit it out. If one person abuses it enough, then it's the same as if they were spamming or double-posting a lot - they can be warned. I don't see how this is any different, or could even be considered different.

Nod
04-08-2005, 06:33 PM
So you feel that quote-pyramids should not be allowed purely for the aesthetics of threads?

edit: sorry, posted at the same time as Raist. :)

DMKA
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
I am DMKA, and I approve Leeza's message.

Resha
04-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Why can't we just edit our quotes, if it's too big? xD

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Why can't we just edit our quotes, if it's too big? xD
Yes!

Destai
04-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Personally I think quoted quotes are annoying wether theyre in my own posts or other peoples. I always liked the feature that stopped quotes from being quoted. It was neat.

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm siding with Leeza for now, despite me being the one that made the change. Raistlin, double posting is okay and neccessary in certain circumstances and therefore making it impossible to double post would be stupid. Also, we don't make it impossible to quote quotes, you just have to do a bit more work. It doesn't take much extra time anyway - I've done it on occasion. I'll wait for a little bit but at this rate I'm expecting to revert the file to it's former strip_qoutes self.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2005, 10:01 PM

Leeza, after seeing those hideously big and ugly pyramids in this thread, I totally agree with you.Please tell me what the devil is so ugly or wrong about simple quotes-within-quotes such as this. Also please provide me with some links to this apparent epidemic of enormous quote-pyramids, because I haven't seen any but I'd be happy to take care of those for you.

Yamaneko
04-08-2005, 10:04 PM
We could always implement javascript dropdown quotes. And by "we" I mean BoB and/or clout.

Endless
04-08-2005, 10:05 PM
*pyramid quotes Kishi*

...what?

Ok, back to the topic, unless the quote pyramid starts filling a whole screen, it's not really a hinderance imho. Why get one's panties in a bunch over something so trifle?

Cybele
04-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Please tell me what the devil is so ugly or wrong about simple quotes-within-quotes such as this. Also please provide me with some links to this apparent epidemic of enormous quote-pyramids, because I haven't seen any but I'd be happy to take care of those for you.

You already deleted them, but they were there when I posted that. It's just annoying to see huge quotes because some people are too lazy to delete the un-needed ones.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Then please report every multi-quote you see that was done out of laziness, and I'll even go out of my way to edit every one of those, too. It shouldn't be too much work because the vast majority of multi-quotes are done intentionally to provide context rather than out of laziness.

crono_logical
04-08-2005, 10:36 PM
We could always implement javascript dropdown quotes. And by "we" I mean BoB and/or clout.
Or we could enable the thread/hybrid view options, and get the kind of post tree thing you see at LJ, so removing the need to ever use quotes again :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Take a shower, hippie.

crono_logical
04-08-2005, 10:45 PM
:cookie:    :cookie:   :cookie:  :cookie:       :cookie:    
    :cookie:   :cookie::cookie:      :cookie::cookie:   :cookie:  :cookie:
   :cookie:               :cookie:
           :cookie:                  :cookie:
:cookie:              :cookie:          :cookie: :cookie:
      :cookie::cookie::cookie:           :cookie:       :cookie:
:cookie:               :monster:

Leeza
04-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Leeza, after seeing those hideously big and ugly pyramids in this thread, I totally agree with you.Please tell me what the devil is so ugly or wrong about simple quotes-within-quotes such as this. Also please provide me with some links to this apparent epidemic of enormous quote-pyramids, because I haven't seen any but I'd be happy to take care of those for you.
Now if I had just quoted and edited so that only your post would show, this would be good, but most people won't bother going in to edit out the quotes that are not needed and then you end up with stuff like this. I think this post looks ugly, but I guess ugly is all in the eye of the beholder.

Then please report every multi-quote you see that was done out of laziness, and I'll even go out of my way to edit every one of those, too.
I glad you volunteered for the job. :)

crono_logical
04-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I always manually edit the quotes out when in PMs, since they've always stacked up in there :p

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 11:15 PM
clout, I love you. xD

Leeza
04-08-2005, 11:20 PM
clout, I love you. xD
...but, what about m4tt? :(

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I love all my friends in some little way. Matty is more than just a friend.

Destai
04-09-2005, 12:06 AM
The place Ive found the quotes to be at there worst are in PM's. They're just plain irritating.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
It's a simple trick not to keep up the quotes when you PM back and forth with someone.

Big D
04-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Whenever you quote somebody who's got a quote in their post, you get something like this:

[quo</>te]Originally posted by Dave's itchy armpit
[quo</>te][s</>b]Orignally posted by the leftover pizza[/sb]
1. Each State Party to the present Covenant undertakes to respect and to ensure to all individuals within its territory and subject to its jurisdiction the rights recognized in the present Covenant, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.[/qu</>ote]
I agree.[/quo</>te]

This turns into a 'quote within a quote' when you post it.

The solution is simple: Delete the unnecessary extra quote.

[quo</>te]Originally posted by Dave's itchy armpit[/s</>b]
<s>[quo</>te][s</>b]Orignally posted by the leftover pizza[/s</>b]
1. Each State Party to the present Covenant undertakes to respect and to ensure to all individuals within its territory and subject to its jurisdiction the rights recognized in the present Covenant, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.[/qu</>ote]</s>
I agree.[/quo</>te]

The end result is a nice, simple quote:
[sb]Originally posted by Dave's itchy armpit
I agree.

Del Murder
04-09-2005, 01:46 AM
If you see the pyramids, just use the warn button, and Leeza will be happy to send a nasty pm to kishi telling him to deal with it.

Personally, I don't like them, and I wish we could go back to the old quotes. Solves both problems.

crono_logical
04-09-2005, 11:35 AM
The old quotes, that used 2 horizontal rules instead of the alt-coloured box? I think they look ugly :p

Agent Proto
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Why not just go back to how it was before this method where each quote is already recorded.

If someone wants to add another quote within a quote, they can do so manually, like I would do.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-09-2005, 12:13 PM
It takes more time to add in quotes than it does to delete them. Therefore, eliminating automatic multi-quotes would be a waste of time.

Destai
04-09-2005, 12:39 PM
There should be a vote to decide!! =)

Big D
04-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Why not complicate things a little:p?
Two quote buttons instead of one:
Quote - Just quotes the basic post, not the quotes in it.
Full Quote - Quotes the entire post, including prior quotes.

Just a suggestion. I'm really not too fussed, though I'd tend to agree with what Kishi just said.

Raistlin
04-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Why not complicate things a little:p?

Just a suggestion. I'm really not too fussed, though I'd tend to agree with what Kishi just said.
That's actually a pretty good idea, as long as it wouldn't be too tough to do. Knowing our luck, it'd probably involve five different hacks, though. xD

Yamaneko
04-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Six, but who's counting?

-N-
04-10-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't see the problem with quotes in quotes. I'd use them anyways given the [ qq ] tag, which is as far as I usually care to go. QQs are simple and effective ways to keep track of what one is responding to, especially in a long thread. If someone abuses it, just warn them or something.

Mercen-X
05-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I double-posted purposely when commenting on a drawing. I first put in a post with a crappy drawing I made to emphasize my lack of talent while saying, "Yours is good for what it is."
I then posted below it, "I like the Gungrave drawing."
The above statement was referring to two previous drawings, so if I put the Gungrave comment in the same post in anywhere, it wouldn't have made as much sense. I guess I could've waited until someone else posted.

I agree about the quote pyramids. I don't like to see them. A lot of the quoters around here are "little kids" who don't take the time to edit out the unnecessary crap of what they're quoting. I take my sweet time editing EVERY-SINGLE THING I post. I even delete my posts quite often if they bear no relevance for some reason or someone else said it better than me.

By the way:
See? Easily edited.

eestlinc
05-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Now if I had just quoted and edited so that only your post would show, this would be good, but most people won't bother going in to edit out the quotes that are not needed and then you end up with stuff like this. I think this post looks ugly, but I guess ugly is all in the eye of the beholder.

Then please report every multi-quote you see that was done out of laziness, and I'll even go out of my way to edit every one of those, too.
I glad you volunteered for the job. :)

This is about the point where it starts getting annoying.

Also, I think we should call them Ziggurats rather than Pyramids.

RSL
05-10-2005, 11:40 PM
I like the quote pyramids. They look swell.

Leeza
05-10-2005, 11:56 PM
You won't get my Admin vote with that attitude, RSL. :)

Vyk
05-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Considering the sometimes nicessity of context, why not just limit the number of pyramid levels? I think quoting a quote is as far as it should go. Because then you're responding to someone's response to someone else. If that person was originally responding, then context would be too complicated to even matter at that point. Not that I like pyramids, but I can understand a need to keep things in perspective in a debate, especially if you're targetting how someone responded or something instead of just rebutting a point. I think 2 levels would be plenty enough... But I'm just the newbie ^^

RSL
05-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Yeah, those quote pyramids are pretty ugly.

Vyk
05-11-2005, 12:28 AM
I was just surfing through other threads and noticed this. I think it's a good example (and just an example) where context can play a part.

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1116236&postcount=24

Responding to responses. Granted, the original quote becomes unnecissary, but again, that's why I say only two levels are needed. But I do see the value in quoting quotes. At least from time to time

TasteyPies
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Also, I think we should call them Ziggurats rather than Pyramids.
Why?
That was a joke

^ another need for grouped quotes.

Raistlin
05-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Yeah, those quote pyramids are pretty ugly.
>=o

You need to be consistent! No flip-flops for you. Now go to your room with no supper.

RSL
05-11-2005, 12:57 AM
I was just thinking about ordering a pizza, too. :(

Raistlin
05-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Well that'll teach you, then.

eestlinc
05-11-2005, 01:09 AM
<a href=http://www.the-ziggurat.com/>Ziggurat</a>

XxSephirothxX
05-11-2005, 01:14 AM
I think Kishi's right. The practicality and ease-of-use of multi-quoting is really nice, and I was pleased to see it implemented. In fact, I'd always wondered, up to that point, why EoFF hadn't had it in the first place. Is it possible to simply limit it to a small number, such as 3 quotes? If not, then I think using the warn system is good enough, and repeat offenders should get a warning themselves, much like with double posting or oversized signatures.