PDA

View Full Version : Longest without sleep

Erdrick Holmes
04-08-2005, 02:41 PM
What was the longest period of time you spent without sleep?

So far... this is the god honest truth... I've been awake right now for a whole week. I have the worst insomnia any human has ever had.

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
If you've honestly been awake that long, you'd have to have been trying. You can't stay awake that long without trying at least a bit. And either way, seek help, because it's really not healthy to do stuff like that.

Longest I've gone is probably just 48 hours or something. Maybe even less than that. I never saw the huge appeal in staying up for more than one night, and even with one night without sleep I'd probably go to bed early the next day or take some naps.

Drift
04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
my longest is 2days maybe 3 i lost track of time

Dixie
04-08-2005, 02:47 PM
4. Long. Horrible. Days. :(.

(It was so bad.:()

Nod
04-08-2005, 02:48 PM
3-4 days, with help.

Ko Ko
04-08-2005, 03:07 PM
About a month ago, I had a bad case of insomnia and didn't sleep for eight and a half days.

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 03:12 PM
If anyone is wondering why I don't believe you when you say "I went without sleep for a week or more", it's because it really is that difficult. The record for sleep deprivation is only around eleven days, after all, and the guy who did that was in an effectively non-functional state.

theundeadhero
04-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I was up for a week but I had "help". You start to hallucinate without the help though. It's really not good for you. By the end your like a zombie.

Nod
04-08-2005, 03:29 PM
If anyone is wondering why I don't believe you when you say "I went without sleep for a week or more", it's because it really is that difficult. The record for sleep deprivation is only around eleven days, after all, and the guy who did that was in an effectively non-functional state.

Yes, he became totally paranoid and delusional. He was certain there were people after him trying to kill him.
Sleep deprivation is not good for you, at all.
Even an hour snatched here and there is MUCH better than none at all.

Razo
04-08-2005, 03:33 PM
1..... never had bad insomnia.. :D

Blackmageboi
04-08-2005, 03:36 PM
i have tried many times but i fell to sleep after 48 hours i just cant do it

theundeadhero
04-08-2005, 03:36 PM
he became totally paranoid and delusional. He was certain there were people after him trying to kill him.I wouldn't doubt it. At a week I could barely make myself eat and it was like objects weren't solid. The edges of things were kinda wavy. After what I experienced I would never do it again. You feel so horrible and your brain feels like mush.

Craig
04-08-2005, 03:53 PM
I dunno, probably not even a day.

Dark Warrior
04-08-2005, 03:54 PM
i have tried many times but i fell to sleep after 48 hours i just cant do it

Ko Ko
04-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Well we didn't exaclty say it was a nice experience, did we?
This was when I was going through an extrememly rough time.

crazybayman
04-08-2005, 04:22 PM
I dunno, probably not even a day.
Same here. Even after 6 years of university I have never pulled even one "all-nighter". If I don't sleep, I'm completely useless.

Resha
04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
So far... this is the god honest truth... I've been awake right now for a whole week. I have the worst insomnia any human has ever had.

Omfg, me too. This past week has been THE VERY WORST INSOMNIA I have ever had. I get roughly 3-4 hours of disturbed sleep each night morning. :(

Zeldy
04-08-2005, 04:29 PM
I have stages, not so long ago, i was hardly sleeping, and by hardly i dont mean nights, i have tried but i just.. sleep, i nod off.
The longest was probably one night, i THINK i stayed up all night, i was scared, id just watched one of,to me anyway, the scariest films ever, Hannibal.
It was about 2 years ago.. i was like.. 10, i was scared to death, i hated showers i mean, what if the water turns red?!
I couldnt go in a room alone, what if he gets me!?
I couldnt sleep.. What if he got me sleeping!?
And my family found it funny to skit me and say
"phh phh phh" you no like when u shiver.. like he does.. it still scares me to this day.

Dr.K
04-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Probably 2 days or something. Nothing heroic. Even after that I started to hallucinate in the dark. After a week and upwards it must be like some kind of living hell.

Rainecloud
04-08-2005, 04:55 PM
24 hours. Honestly.

I've never been deprived of sleep for an extended period of time.

fire_of_avalon
04-08-2005, 05:13 PM
I've gone without sleep straight through for a couple of days, but with my absolute worst cases of insomnia, I've gone for maaaaybe a month where I would have on average three or four hours of sleep a night. I was told is was a temporary chemical imbalance.

You should probably have that checked out.

Ultima Shadow
04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Some of you seems to be a bit crazy. There's no reason at all to try to stay awake for as long as possible. I've been awake for about 28 hours. Really... there's no point in it. You'll just get extremely tired and feel like crapp. :greenie:

Psychotic
04-08-2005, 06:15 PM
3 or 4 days, I can't really remember that much about it.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Two days, roughly 48-50 hours.

I agree with BoB about the miniscule probability of being able to stay awake for more than a few days.

Calamity
04-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I've gone without sleep for like... 17 hours without sleep, tops. I sleep like... whenever I can. I think I'm one of the laziest people on earth... I nap, sleep in class, sleep standing up very occasionally, and in the meantime I tend to daydream alot...

But yeah, about 17 hours.

Dreddz
04-08-2005, 06:34 PM

You clearly are trying really hard or are lying
Most ive bin up is three days.
This reminds me of a program called shattered on about 3 years ago. They had to stay up as long as possible. One of those 'Ill do anything to be on TV' things

SeeDRankLou
04-08-2005, 06:44 PM
I have stayed awake of my own accord for 36 hours once. With the aid of Red Bull, I stayed awake for 50 hours once frantically working on a research paper.

There is an enzyme released and activated in your brain during sleep. When you wake up, this enzyme is quickly phosphorilated and the phosphorilation protein in degraded afterward. It happens at different speed for different people, and if you wake up during REM sleep, then it happens almost instantaneously. This is the main cause for grogginess in the morning. As your body goes on a regular cycle of sleep, your brain will start to make this enzyme without you going to sleep (thus causes you to feel tired before you go to bed, also why children don't usually feel tired on a cyclical basis). But only when this enzyme is activated (during sleep) will it do anything, and if it's not phosphorliated it will not degrade and be made anew on your next sleep cycle. And only if this enzyme is activated will the phosphorilation protein be able to phosphorilate and be degraded. If you fail to sleep, this phosphorilation protein, which also will begin to be produced on a regular basis, will not degrade and will start to build up in your brain, aggregating due to overconcentration and eventually mimicing what happens in the brains of people with paranoid schizophrenia. One cause scientists have found for people with paranoid schizophria is the over production of various proteins in the brain. About 90 hours without sleep will cause this to start to happen. It's not a good thing.

Misfit
04-08-2005, 06:48 PM
2 days. I could go on FOREVER, but y'know, I never find anything interesting enough to keep me awake forever.

boris no no
04-08-2005, 06:56 PM
i think 3 days. i had to do a uni essay and then had a 2 day drinking bender.......plus LOTS of pro plus (god bless)
i was very tired....

Ouch!
04-08-2005, 06:57 PM
The longest I've gone was somewhere close to sixty hours. During the late spring to early fall I'll stay up 40-60 hours at a time on a semi-regular basis. I think it has something to do with my reaction to the seasons. My doctor blames it on hypo-mania.

Creeping Shadow
04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
i went once for like 3-4 days i stated hearing voices and when i tried to sleep the voices would like get louder it was really freaky :whaaa:

Samuraid
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
42 hours...

I was up for a whole day in Israel, stayed up all night, flew to Frankfurt, then flew home to California, then stayed up until about 1-2am the next morning.

Carnage
04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
I had insomnia but someone told me that if i didnt sleep for week i would die. But i couldnt sleep and i think i went a week then just took a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifload of syraquil cause i didnt want to die. After about 5 days i started to hallucinate. Wasnt that bad though.

Rye
04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Not long. Maybe 20 hours?

Dreddz
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
thats not even a day

I salute you

DaremihC
04-08-2005, 08:30 PM
66 hours... but I was occupied.

I tried to beat FFIX in one sitting, 49 hours straight got me to Necron, but I couldn't beat him because of the status effects...

A friend of mine was up for 112 hours, but he collapsed on a window sill while trying to save his cat from Mario... He went, NO MARIO! And lunged at his window sill. That freaked me out...

So, kids, the lesson is:
Sleep is good.

Kirobaito
04-08-2005, 08:34 PM
50 hours, around. Then I promptly slept for 20.

DaremihC
04-08-2005, 08:37 PM
At a LAN party, a friend of mine spent 32 hours awake in my brother's closet... its a 3'x5' closet...

DMKA
04-08-2005, 09:31 PM
3 days.

Yamaneko
04-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Joel: You'd be dead if that's true. The brain eventually shuts down from lack of sleep, and that's well before seven days (perhaps 3-4 days). Only people with severe neurological disorders have been able to stay up for weeks, and they've probably died from lack of sleep.

The longest period without sleep I've had to endure was around 48 hours.

Marshall Banana
04-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Hmmm...probably 3 days at the most. I either couldn't sleep or I just didn't want to. I can't remember.
I used to not sleep very much at all, but lately I haven't been able to sleep for less than 7-9 hours or I absolutely feel like crap, and I can be very cranky because of it. :-/ Like I was yesterday.

Dreddz
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
that is definatly not true
A Program called shattered made people stay up for as long as possible and they went on for about a week. Who would be dumb enough to make a show that kills you. Plus ive known people in real life staying up for abou 6 days

Clouded Sky
04-08-2005, 10:33 PM
i went somewhere around 72 hours and i was going crazy. there was NO WAY i could've stayed up longer, even if I had wanted to. my body crashed and i was out for about 24 hours.

Shlup
04-08-2005, 10:36 PM

That's cute.

After 72 hours without sleep you start to hallucinate. After seven days you generally slip into a coma. After eight days you die.

It was nice knowing you, Joel.

Faris
04-08-2005, 10:38 PM
2 1/2 days.

Dreddz
04-08-2005, 10:39 PM
You cant die of lack of sleep. Maybe black-out but not die. But hallucinating is quite true as when I was on my last few hours on my 3 day stay awake my mind played tricks on me till I just dropped and slept on the ground.

Shlup
04-08-2005, 10:48 PM
You cant die of lack of sleep. Maybe black-out but not die. But hallucinating is quite true as when I was on my last few hours on my 3 day stay awake my mind played tricks on me till I just dropped and slept on the ground.
One of the possible side effects of a continued lack of sleep is death. Usually this is the result of the fact that the immune system is weakened without sleep. The number of white blood cells within the body decreases, as does the activity of the remaining white blood cells.

Chaos
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
that is definatly not true
A Program called shattered made people stay up for as long as possible and they went on for about a week. Who would be dumb enough to make a show that kills you. Plus ive known people in real life staying up for abou 6 days

I remember that - if I recall correctly then they were allowed about an hours sleep a day.

I think most for me is 24 hours. That was when I flew out to New York and arrieved first thing in the morning and went to bed at 11 at night.

Chaos

sephiroth JR
04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
84 hrs exactly because my friend remembered what time it was when i passed out in his kitchen

Dreddz
04-09-2005, 01:05 AM
talking about sleep its 1.04am in UK and im not in bed yet.
Oh f**k it

Shoeberto
04-09-2005, 01:16 AM
I've never stayed up longer than a full day, I'd reckon. My body is weird and I'm constantly tired, so it makes it tough to do something like that.

sephiroth JR
04-09-2005, 01:46 AM
talking about sleep its 1.04am in UK and im not in bed yet.
1.47 now gettin tired??????????????

Joshkabob
04-09-2005, 03:17 AM
What do you see when you hallucinate?

DMKA
04-09-2005, 03:25 AM
Actually I've known people who have stayed up over a week while on speed...and they're still alive.

rubah
04-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Not very long. Not an entire day.

I did stay up until 7:30 am once though.

Gollum
04-09-2005, 03:55 AM
About 30 hours

Gadwin
04-09-2005, 03:58 AM
three days. a good friend of mine stayed awake for 10 or 11 i think. he was dead by the end of it (not literally)

Rinen
04-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Longest I've been awake was a couple hours short of four days. I was very occupied with writing. When I get an idea, I have no choice but to write it down. I become very irritable when I'm writing. Usually these periods last me a week or two, and sometimes up to a month. That's my usual when I get my writing craze. When I write, I become so energized, I go days without sleep or without any caffeinated drinks. After that, I get bummed out and usually in a big slump for a month or two, then another massive surge of creativity, inspiration, and writing kicks in. Then the process is repeated.

For me, hallucinations from sleep deprivation usually comes around 45 hours. My sociology/psychology teacher says that you start hallucinating around 40 hours, but that is variable. After 96 hours without sleep, you are clinically insane. This is without any additives or drugs, like caffeine or speed in your system.

Shlup
04-09-2005, 06:45 AM
What do you see when you hallucinate?
Pink Christina Agulera monsters.

WildRaubtier
04-09-2005, 07:22 AM
I once stayed awake for a WHOLE month. I'm pretty sure I brought a cat, killed it, ate every single part of it, then brought a dog, watched my entire anime collection in one sitting, made a perfect save for every Final Fantasy 1-11, ate the dog, brought a zoo, and became a drug lord. For some reason, I woke up in the middle of the desert dressed up as the easter bunny.

Boy, I probably don't want to know what else I did.

Meat Puppet
04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Quit stealing my life, Seeby.

WildRaubtier
04-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Quiet, you.

Vyk
04-09-2005, 07:26 AM
I remember thinking one night, about how you can nod off for 15 minutes and have some huge drawn out dream. And other times, when you're so tired your eyes close on their own. And you go to blink, and then suddenly it's 3 hours later and you weren't even aware you'd fallen asleep. I started to get this feeling that time works differently in sleep. Like you're in suspended animation. Unfortunately after a bit of thinking I was suddenly an unwilling insomniac. For a while I actually thought I'd lost the ability to sleep. A month? I'm not sure that's possible. Even if it were, I'm sure it's highly unhealthy. I went about a week after that night, maybe a little longer. Though I tried desperately for sleep it just wouldn't come. Laying in bed every night just... thinking, hour after hour. It really sucked. Now I make sure to have Nyquil or something on hand to knock me out.

Martyr
04-09-2005, 07:47 AM
I need at least 5-6 hopurs of sleep or else I'm useless. I mean, I think I've pulled over 30 hours because of a massive project, but I've never really benefitted from not sleeping so I sleep when I should.

FoxHoundx25
04-09-2005, 02:14 PM
somewhere around 60 hours, wouldnt have been that big of a deal, had it not been during football two-a-day practices...i practically passed out when i finally did sleep

DMKA
04-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I once stayed awake for a WHOLE month. I'm pretty sure I brought a cat, killed it, ate every single part of it, then brought a dog, watched my entire anime collection in one sitting, made a perfect save for every Final Fantasy 1-11, ate the dog, brought a zoo, and became a drug lord. For some reason, I woke up in the middle of the desert dressed up as the easter bunny.

Boy, I probably don't want to know what else I did.
You win.

agrudis
04-09-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm restless, I only get about 5-15 minits sleep every night, and while I'm awake I'm (almost) always standing or walking or running! I only sit down if I have to! I'm not sure of my longest period without sleep, but I can tell you my longest sleep lasted around 6 munths in 1998 from June 24th til December 8th! I was in a coma after a road accident!

DoomAntenna
04-09-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure exactly how long was my longest time without sleep, but I'm guessing around 30-40 hours. Not much, I know, but I did start hallucinating by the end. I didn't see anything, but I kept hearing short bursts of laughter and then someone would say my name behind me. Always in a different voice, and always in a voice I knew but hadn't heard in a long time. I probably started looking paranoid and jumpy at least. That was about 8 years ago, and I've never gone that long without sleep since. So, even a short amount of time can screw you up a bit.

Gadwin
04-09-2005, 07:22 PM
damn, you people are making me want to be insomniatic again. so be it. today or tomorrow i stop sleeping to see how long i can go. i wonder if i still have those caffiene pills...

Mercen-X
04-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I've never survived longer than 36 hours.

HybridFan
04-11-2005, 11:03 PM
2 days I was proper f$&*$d though.

Casey
04-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Over 24 friggin hours during Army NG drill, it was fun though! Went bowling saturday night from 8pm to 1:30am with a couple of army buddies. A couple of people were drunk :p it was hilarious. Then stood up tell 3am watching power rangers in the armory, and playing halo on xbox. Couldnt sleep because I drank to much mt dew, and the next morning sucked ass, because I didnt get much sleep and did physical /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, muscles were all sore. When I got home I basically slepted for 15 hours...