PDA

View Full Version : Cookie No More?

Dragon Ash
04-08-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/07/tv.cookie.lessmonster.ap/index.html

Blasphemy! :mad2:

Apollo
04-08-2005, 10:06 PM
How can the cookie monster be THE cookie monster when he eats fruits!!!!!!!!! :mad2:

Psychotic
04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
:monster: :(

gokufusionss1
04-08-2005, 10:10 PM
it's about bloody time this happend.

Casey
04-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Has Cookie Monster given up sweets?

They make it sound like its drugs or somthing.

Yeah, sweets are bad. Thats why they're probably trying to promote to kids that eatting healthy means eatting fruits rather then sweets. I think its dumb though, eatting "bad food" doesnt make people fat, inactivity does. How can it be called the cookie monster anymore... :p

Chris
04-08-2005, 10:13 PM
http://:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2mljew

Apollo
04-08-2005, 10:14 PM
But he is the COOKIE MONSTER!!!

Chris
04-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Once again http://:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2mljew

Dragon Ash
04-08-2005, 10:18 PM
The Cookie Monster was my hero...

Rye
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
:/ That sucks... VEGETABLE MONSTER.

Shlup
04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
"'C' is for Cookie" is one of my favorite songs to sing in the shower. I just died a little inside.

I do, however, approve of this change. Especially how the explain it at the end. I'm just sad about the possible loss of one of my favorite Sesame Street songs.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2005, 10:24 PM
He's going to be eating fewer cookies, not zero, and they're not changing his name or anything. This is more than worth it if it'll cut down on the number of fatties in the world.

Ultima Shadow
04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Why not just make him eat healty cookies? :(

:monster:

Shlup
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Why not just make him eat healty cookies? :(

:monster:
It says that too.

Old Manus
04-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Who is going to take orders from a fat blue puppet?

Dragon Ash
04-08-2005, 10:50 PM
He's going to be eating fewer cookies, not zero, and they're not changing his name or anything. This is more than worth it if it'll cut down on the number of fatties in the world.
And the award for tolerance and sensitivity goes to... Kishi!

Maxico
04-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Who is going to take orders from a fat blue puppet?

:mad2: Thats the cookie monster to you!

nik0tine
04-08-2005, 11:10 PM
"C" is for cookie, yes, but apparently, it is no longer good enough for our friend Cookie Monster.

Ultima Shadow
04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
It says that too.
Ops... forgot to read the stuff in the end. :p

Loony BoB
04-09-2005, 12:40 AM
They could have just given him fruit and vegetable cookies. If such things exist.

Miriel
04-09-2005, 01:59 AM
What a crying shame.

Cookie Monster is a monster. The dude is supposed to be gorging on things that aren't good for him, it's in his very nature.

And seriously, what 5 year old is going to ask for a celery stick just because a blue puppet is eating one on screen? Especially when mama and papa are sitting there chowing down on some KFC.

Sesame Street education is useless when the parents allow for the opposite behavior.

My beloved Cookie Monster, they've taken you away from me. :(

kikimm
04-09-2005, 02:05 AM
And seriously, what 5 year old is going to ask for a celery stick just because a blue puppet is eating one on screen? Especially when mama and papa are sitting there chowing down on some KFC.

Maybe I'm really weird, but I would. Seeing other people, my parents especially, getting fat (presumably) on KFC, or some other fast food restaurant, would make me want to do the opposite. I would be completely...disgusted. Being around people who eat really unhealthy, makes me want to eat really, really healthy, and work out. I've always been like this. :( I'm aware that most people aren't though.

But honestly, I think this is a silly idea. Although if it does actually help, then full speed ahead!

:D

XxSephirothxX
04-09-2005, 02:23 AM
What I found even more disturbing than the depressing fact that Cookie Monster is being forced on a cookie-light diet, is that Sesame Street is entering its 35th season. Jesus! You'd think most of the people on it would be dead by now... :(

Long live the cookies! :monster:
I guess it's for the best, but it's still just...weird.

Miriel
04-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Maybe I'm really weird, but I would. Seeing other people, my parents especially, getting fat (presumably) on KFC, or some other fast food restaurant, would make me want to do the opposite. I would be completely...disgusted. Being around people who eat really unhealthy, makes me want to eat really, really healthy, and work out. I've always been like this. :( I'm aware that most people aren't though.

Kikimm, I think you missed my point. I don't believe that by changing Cookie Monster's character, children all over America will start demanding apples and oranges over cookies and donuts.

Especially when so many parents refuse to educate their own children on the issues of having a healthy diet and instead plant their kids in front of the TV. And besides, there are dozens of other characters who they can use as a vehicle to promote healthy food choices. Cookie Monster is a classic character, it's unnecessary and silly to give him a makeover.

'Sometimes food' my ass.

Makoto-Tribal
04-09-2005, 02:29 AM
They could have just given him fruit and vegetable cookies. If such things exist.

Well, there is such a thing as a cookie with fruit baked into it instead of chocolate chips. Most of them are nasty tasteing, but they exist.

And does anyone else see the irony of changeing a TV character to promote healthy eating when TV itself is always going to cause its watchers to adopt an unhealthy lifestyle?

Besides..

Hes the COOKIE Monster. Not the Fruit And Nuts Monster. =(

:..2-2-7..:

kikimm
04-09-2005, 02:32 AM
Kikimm, I think you missed my point. I don't believe that by changing Cookie Monster's character, children all over America will start demanding apples and oranges over cookies and donuts.

Oh, no, of course not. I think he's been around too long, and has that NAME, that'll stop kids from doing that. I guess I was...replying to that situation, or something. I don't know. xD

Meat Puppet
04-09-2005, 02:37 AM
To children, cookies symbolise heroin, with the cookie monster symbalising a junkie. Or maybe that was just me.

Flamethrower
04-09-2005, 02:43 AM
They should just make the Cookie Monster eat more and more cookies as he gradually gets fatter and fatter until he's an immobile blob. That's gotta do a better job of teaching kids to eat heathier than this fruits and veggies crap.

Del Murder
04-09-2005, 03:56 AM
He doesn't even eat them. He just breaks them up in his mouth and they fall everywhere.

Masamune·1600
04-09-2005, 04:07 AM
I heard a rumor that the show is also going to kill off a character in the next season. :( :cry:

I might have the wrong show. Better go check....

udsuna
04-09-2005, 08:49 AM
What's next? Oscar the Grouch gets a job, moves into an appartment, and acts nice to people? Jeez... I thought they were going a little too far when the South African version of the show added a muppet with AIDS. I think she was sewn together with an infected needle, or something.

Rainecloud
04-09-2005, 08:59 AM
There's even a new song - "A Cookie Is a Sometimes Food," where Cookie Monster learns there are "anytime" foods and "sometimes" foods.

So bananas, apples, oranges and pears are also cookies?

Sesame Street is toying with my emotional stability. :/

Rase
04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm more concerned at the emotional state of this reporter. Seems like someone took this a little too personally.

Meow
04-09-2005, 11:35 AM
It's nice idea, but somehow i always think that the cats pushing social reform can't see the forest for the trees.

Because, you know, Cookie Monster makes you fat. Full of calories, he is.

And don't even get me started on Barkley.

Little Miss Awesome
04-09-2005, 01:21 PM
What are they going to call him? The Apple Monster???
What a stupid idea, why didn't they just change the way the kida thought about him, so it's like only cookie monster can eat cookies and kida can't as much or something?

Blackmageboi
04-09-2005, 02:24 PM
finaly the war is nearing an end bwahahahaha ffgirl and i are depriving the cookie monster of his cookies!

BakaSan
04-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Why couldn't they just keep him eating cookies and get the other characters to osticise him?

Huh? HUH?!

Quina
04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Paranoia is an Always Feeling.

Fourleafclover
04-10-2005, 07:57 AM
This is so weird... I was reading this thread and watching SNL when Amy Poeler cracked a joke on Weekend Update about Cookie Monster :eek: learning the difference between "always foods" and "sometimes foods" and then becoming Pilates Monster. It wasn't that good a joke (and that was an awfully long run-on sentence) but it did make me double take.

-N-
04-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Thank goodness I'm old enough to immortalize the REAL Cookie Monster in my head.

Shlup
04-11-2005, 10:29 PM
http://www.pvponline.com/archive/2005/pvp20050408.gif

This amused the hell out of me. The only problem with it is that, even if a parent does their best to get their kids to appreciate healthy foods, they can't really compete with advertising. Every kids sees about 10,000 ads a year (not just on TV) for food products. If a parent had every meal every day with their kid, they'd still only have 1,000 opportunities to help their kid make good food choices, as opposed to Tony the Tiger and his minions. That doesn't seem very fair.

Still funny though. The way businesses market to children is evil. Yay for Cookie Monster!

Rase
04-12-2005, 02:04 AM

Thank you, that made me happy. :)

fire_of_avalon
04-12-2005, 03:21 AM
This amused the hell out of me. The only problem with it is that, even if a parent does their best to get their kids to appreciate healthy foods, they can't really compete with advertising. Every kids sees about 10,000 ads a year (not just on TV) for food products. If a parent had every meal every day with their kid, they'd still only have 1,000 opportunities to help their kid make good food choices, as opposed to Tony the Tiger and his minions. That doesn't seem very fair.

Still funny though. The way businesses market to children is evil. Yay for Cookie Monster!
Maybe parents should limit their child's intake of TV then. :D?

Yes I know not only television is responsible for the barrage of advertisements directed at children, however television is responsible for most of it. My point is, if parents would stop plopping their kids in front of the TV while hiding behind "educational purposes" when they're really using technology as a baby sitter, they wouldn't have to deal with the screaming fits about barbie, cookies, apple juice and all that mess.

It's always your choice to let your children view propaganda. You can't really blame the people who put it out there when you don't pay enough attention to your kids to KNOW what they're seeing, and more importantly, why they're seeing it.

Bring back cookie monster. ;_;

Sephex
04-12-2005, 04:30 AM
I swear, that is something you would see on "The Onion"!

Perducci
04-12-2005, 07:40 PM
:cry:

Harvest Moon
04-15-2005, 07:10 AM
It's true that comic, why don't they just GIVE thier kids to the goverment right now and be done with it?

How did our grandparents, nay, how did WE manage? What seperates now from then?

And didn't they have Elmo and the Hispanic guy befriending vegitables before this crap anyways? Or was that not enough? The liberals should take thier own advise and not be so damn obsessive..

This sickens me almost as much as the minute-men..

Shlup
04-15-2005, 07:38 AM
How did our grandparents, nay, how did WE manage? What seperates now from then?
Compare how many marketing campaigns there are targeting children now to how many there have been in the past. The increase in the aggressiveness of these campaigns is astounding to me.

And I’m ignoring the rest of what you’ve said because I’m tired of hearing “liberal” and “conservative” tossed around wherever we need someone to complain about.

Maybe parents should limit their child's intake of TV then. :D?
Yes, they should. And often do. Should parents turn off the TV entirely? Seems like it.

Yes I know not only television is responsible for the barrage of advertisements directed at children, however television is responsible for most of it. My point is, if parents would stop plopping their kids in front of the TV while hiding behind "educational purposes" when they're really using technology as a baby sitter, they wouldn't have to deal with the screaming fits about barbie, cookies, apple juice and all that mess.
People are quick to blame parents. They're right to do so, for the most part, but it seems like everyone's going to far and wanting to push all the blame on the parents. Have you ever thought about how impossible it is to monitor every single thing your children do? Should we keep them away from peers, leave them at home when we go to the grocery store, and paint the car windows so they can't see outside?

Parents aren't the only influence on children. Not by a longshot. And I think the fact that Sesame Street is willing to help parents out by doing what they can to ensure children can watch at least one show without being encouraged to gorge on candy and sweets, awesome for them.

It's always your choice to let your children view propaganda. You can't really blame the people who put it out there when you don't pay enough attention to your kids to KNOW what they're seeing, and more importantly, why they're seeing it.
You should feel lucky I'm not a mother because if I was and had read that I don't think I could help but scream. xD You should save that post and look back on it when you've got kids in elementary school. You'll either laugh or cry.

Bring back cookie monster. ;_;
I watched some of it. Cookie Monster hasn't changed at all, and I thought the change was great.

Cookie Monster was always one of my favorites too, so I understand that people are resistant to change, but, I mean... come on. Doesn't anyone think it's okay for someone other than parents to care about kids health?