PDA

View Full Version : Big Fish

Rye
04-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Definitely one the best movies ever. I'll just copy what I said about it out of my LJ:

"I just watched Big Fish again. That movie is honestly the best movie I've ever seen. I should go buy the book. It's just so magical and is the type of movie that can actually have a profound change on your outlook on life. It makes me remember that life is very precious. I love the theme of fate circling back on a man in that movie."

And the soundtrack is amazing to it. Even better than The Village's soundtrack, and that was an excellent one. Every time I see this movie, it makes me cry at least a little bit, it's that good. I really need to go buy the book and read it. I really do think this was Tim Burton's masterpiece, as many people have said of it. The Yahoo reviews on it are so dissapointing though. B and B+. Mean Girls got the same rating, and that movie is incomparable to Big Fish.

The best quote in it was:

"That was my father’s final joke I guess. A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him. And in that way, he becomes immortal."

Anyways, what do you think of it?

Martyr
04-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Too many ill placed ass shots.

It spoiled it for me. It's a spectacular movie, but I still keep seeing Danny DeVitos ass every time I think of it. I'm freaking scarred from it.
I'm so pissed. The director should be shot (In the ass).

Rye
04-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Too many ill placed ass shots.

It spoiled it for me. It's a spectacular movie, but I still keep seeing Danny DeVitos ass every time I think of it. I'm freaking scarred from it.
I'm so pissed. The director should be shot (In the ass).

xD That was the worse part of the movie, but it was only for like, 3 seconds.

Marshall Banana
04-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I could only stand to watch 30-40 minutes of it.
...it was unique though, I'll give it that. And Ewan Mcgregor is always a plus. :)

The Captain
04-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Some of Tim Burton's best work in my opinion, a love story to people who will do anything to prove their worth, to one another, or to their family. I once again think Billy Crudup is the most vastly underrated actor working today, and I'm not just saying that as a friend, but because he slips so easily into roles. Ewan and Albert Finney were spot on as well.

Take care all.

Resha
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Rye, who is the book by? I want to read it! xD And is the movie based on the book or the book on the movie?

The Captain
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
The book is by Daniel Wallace and I believe the book came first.

Take care all.

Rye
04-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I thought Billy Cruddup was a pretty good actor. The acting in the movie was just amazing.

TheAbominatrix
04-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I saw this recently and I very much enjoyed it. Very beautiful film.

Maxico
04-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Its surprisingly up beat for a Tim Burton film.

Resha
04-10-2005, 04:47 PM
The book is by Daniel Wallace and I believe the book came first.

Take care all.

Thankies! I shall try and check it out of the library! :<3:

fire_of_avalon
04-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I love this movie sooo much but it's been forever since I've seen it. And I should read the book too. Thanks Rye, you just made my next book selection impossibly easy. :D

Rye
04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
No problem. :D My next two books that I need to buy are Big Fish and The Notebook. I can never find them at the library though. :/

-N-
04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
I love this movie so much. It is one of my all-time favorites. I watched it with my father once on Father's Day. He said it was the second-best gift I gave him. (But that's because the best gift I gave him was unbeatable, and me and him both know it, and no, it's not dirty, so go away now.)

It's really beautiful, and I also like the last quote you quoted. It's just funny enough, just serious enough, just real and farcical enough, and is just everything enough for me to like. I love Pearl Jam coming on at the end with "Man of the Hour" - one of my favorite songs as well.

Super Christ
04-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Absolutely awesome. I particularly like surreal stories like this one. I really can't say much beyond this is really a beautiful film.

DMKA
04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
I love Tim Burton, but I felt like it was wasted time. I didn't like it.

Dreddz
04-13-2005, 11:38 PM
I expected more out of Burton
Anyone seen the trailers to his new movie. Looks great.
Best Burton Movie was Edward Scissor Hands. Yer definatly that.

kikimm
04-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I haven't checked it out yet, and to be honest, I don't think I'm going to any time soon. =/ It doesn't look really interesting to me, but since you lvoe it so much, I think I'll give it a go sooner or later. Tim Burton is great; Sleepy Hollow has to be my favorite from him though.

:D

Rye
04-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Big Fish is definitely worth it. :)

The Captain
04-14-2005, 12:56 AM
To be fair, it's NOT your typical Tim Burton film, but a more personal movie that Burton himself said was made as an ode to his parents, so it's not really in the same vein as ES or Sleepy Hollow.

Take care all.

eestlinc
04-14-2005, 01:42 AM
It was ok.