PDA

View Full Version : Crazifying Adlai Stevenson's Stats

-N-
04-10-2005, 01:44 AM
So Adlai can do just about anything. But it can't really do anything all that well, simply because it's stats suck, and it can't equip Espers for crazy stat boosts. Are there any other ways? Can I give him Merit Award and have him equip crazy stuff?

Masamuneˇ1600
04-10-2005, 02:49 AM
For those who aren't aware, there are those who think Gogo = Adlai Stevenson, a former American presidential candidate. Other theories, which don't immediately disprove themselves*, suggest that Gogo is actually Daryl, Emperor Gestahl, or even General Leo. I can't possibly give any credence to the Leo theory, and Gestahl is very unlikely at best. Daryl is a possibility, but there is of course no way to confirm it.

Gogo can do virtually anything, but he/she is not going to do it as well as the original character. His/her main purpose, then, is to have a replicate of an ability set that you find particularly useful or enjoyable. Also, if playing a no-Esper challenge game, I suppose it could help to pool both Terra's and Celes' magic. Maybe.

*I can't wait to see the response I get from the Adlai theory proponents. :D :D

Sasquatch
04-10-2005, 05:02 AM
The most common theory I've heard on Gogo is that he's Shadow's old partner. But all the theories I've heard don't really have much evidence.

Yeah, Gogo can do about anything, but he sucks with stats, and everything he does is weaker. I don't use him very much, but he comes in handy when you need a duplicate ability.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-10-2005, 05:08 AM
Yes, Baram is also a Gogo candidate. And certainly more likely than Leo or Gestahl.

Tonepoet
04-10-2005, 07:47 AM
You know, surprisingly enough, I've heard of this rumor before (http://www26.brinkster.com/webgraphics2004/).

Anyway, "Adlai" can be tricked out with the Merit Award yes. You can make a Wind God Gau, er, um, uh, Gogo er Adlai, whomever it is with rage and a Temptest and the defensive equipment he'll yield will be far better then the Ninja Gear he'd have yielded before. However, I prefer to make use of his abilities by just putting all of my favorite abilities on him. Fight with a Heal Rod, Blitz and Lore can do wonders for him by giving you many differnt choices. Pearl Wind, Big Gaurd, Bum Rush, Grand Train, a nice little bit of free rod induced healing can do and a few other tricks can do wonders for the guy. Or a change of pace, try out throw for a second Imp Halberd tosser and he'll do tons of damage. He also does wonders at the colloseum because he can be customized to do exactly what you wish him to do if you so please.

Those are but just a fraction of what he can do though. There are literally hundereds of combinations you can use with Gogo and that's his great strength. Try some combinations out and see what you like.

abrojtm
04-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Gogo is one of my favorite characters because he has the magics of all of the combined members, and he can do anything else too.

Wiegrahf42
05-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Me too, I love having Gogo in my party. His ability to mimic magic for free is invaluable. I would keep him in the party even if all he could do was mimic, but being able to equip him with any ability is icing on the cake. Also, the outfit is awesome.

omnitarian
05-03-2005, 04:45 AM
Chainsaw and Bum Rush will always rock, even if they're coming from a character as weak as Gogo. :D

Martyr
05-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Gogo isn't very useful.

Plus it's such an... well, it is an original character, but I never found the "Mimic Bahamut repeatedly" tactic to be all that much fun.

It's cooler to develop combinations with the unique characters than it is to repeat the same damn thing over and over again.

I hate mimics.

theundeadhero
05-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Chainsaw and Bum Rush will always rock, even if they're coming from a character as weak as Gogo.

:D

KoShiatar
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Try casting a double Ultima spell with a Gem Box an mimic it with Gogo and then tell me he's not useful.

Martyr
05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Try casting a double Ultima spell with a Gem Box an mimic it with Gogo and then tell me he's not useful.

Okay, so Gogo can be very useful.

I'm just sayin' that I like a character better than a tool.

Wiegrahf42
05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Throw in an Economizer. Rinse and repeat :D pwnd

Sasquatch
05-04-2005, 12:11 AM
He's useful, sure, but isn't having a couple people cast Ultima over and over again just a little...cheap?

rubah
05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
You mean people doubt the validity of gogo=adlai stevenson:?

Those people have not LIVED.

I sorta liked gogo. he was sorta cute,a nd I"m sure I used him at some point.

Destai
05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
In the interest of presenting a complete set of facts I will also mention that Otik2 changed his version of events a number of times. He seemed annoyed by my questions and by this website.

According to an active member of the FF3 community at the time the rumor first surfaced: "... I went by Purgatory for a bit on a few FF boards, but Spatvark's the nick I use everywhere, including FFO, though that wasn't where I first heard the rumour. That was on Eyes on Final Fantasy, from one of two fellows: BOU (Big Ogre Umaro) or Kawaii Ryűkishii, neither of whom I think are Claudius Aquilla."

Food for thought.neat
http://www26.brinkster.com/webgraphics2004/

Del Murder
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I liked having someone else who could steal.

theundeadhero
05-08-2005, 03:46 AM
That's why I always save two of that weapon that let you steal when equiped. *Don't remember name*

eestlinc
05-08-2005, 04:20 AM
I like that Spatvark is quoted on the guys debunking page.

Sises
12-15-2005, 04:28 AM
neat
http://www26.brinkster.com/webgraphics2004/

Just thought I would point something out, that site is very hard to use as a creadable source when trying to disproove the adlai/gogo myth. seeing how almost every single quote that's used to promote the myth, was never fully disprooved by the author of the site.

here are the quote numbers and the author's and assumed myth creator's paraphrased answers for those we don't want to read the entire page.

1. The author of the site even admited that he only skimmed his source for this quote, though its possible that he could of found it this way. Its not very professional to admit you didn't do your best.
2. The author says he wasn't able to do anything with this quote, because it didn't have any specific dates or names to it. He just assumes its too hard for a 15 year old to find something like this.
3. The author says that this quote wasn't found in a book about Stevenson, but the assumed creator of the myth says that the date the author used for the quote was off by two years.
4. This is the only quote that was generally proved to most likely be false. In my personal opinion it doesn't go as far to prove the myth as some of the others do though.
5. Though the author of the site couldn't find this one in his sources, the assumed creator of the myth says that he found it in a completly different book that the author didn't look into.
6. Though the quote is false, the important aspects of the quote "the egg comment" was shown to be true in a similar situation, which the author did find.
7. This quote is true everyone will agree, though it is the biggest coincidence of all of them.
8. This quote, and the last of them...is 100% true.

Now I'm not saying that this is undeniable proof about the adlai/gogo myth. I'm just saying that, this site did a poor job of trying to disprove the myth.

anyways the way I see it is, the quotes when you look at them in conclusion.

3 true (I considered the egg comment true, cause though the quote was wrong, the point of the quote being used in the myth was validated)
1 false
4 suspect

Good enough to keep the myth going in my opinion, to any of you sad people like myself who want to get to the bottom of this entertaining and amusing myth, happy hunting. To those we just want to sit back and watch, grab some popcorn or candy, and enjoy the show.

-Sises

The Man
12-15-2005, 04:31 AM
The myth is worth keeping going for the lulz even if all the quotes are completely fabricated. However, those quotes are notable enough that they would show up all over the place on Google if they were real, and the only place I was able to find them was in conjunction with the Gogo=Adlai rumor.

Leeza
12-15-2005, 05:20 PM
That's interesting, Sises, but please do not revive dead threads.

One reason we do not revive dead threads is because some people who posted in it are now no longer around to answer anyone who might be responding to their original posts. Such as Destai, who has been banned and so cannot possibly post a reply to your response to his original post.