PDA

View Full Version : Dragoon discusion

Zante
04-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Discuss dragoons, one of the coolest clases in FF.

http://www.ffshrine.org/ff4/amanoart/ff4_12.jpg

What is the story behind the dragoons? Do they have a conection with dragons, because I cant remember one ever riding one.

Also, what is it that makes someone a dragoon? Many people consider FFVII Cid a dragoon because he can use a spear, but then shouldnt Edgar or Khimari be a dragoon too?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-10-2005, 10:56 AM
They rode dragons in FFII, but by the time you get to their kingdom, Richard is the only who's still alive.

Characters are only really Dragon Knights if the game refers to them as such. Characters like Cid, Ward, and Kimahri, who have the spear-wielding and the jump-attacking but not the radical dragon helmets, are just Dragon Knight-like. Dragon Knightesque.

RedCydranth
04-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree with Kawaii. Cid isn't a dragoon. Richard is the only Dragoon really, since Kain never did anything with dragons (unless my memory failed me once again) however I still view Kain as a Dragoon type character in FF. I go more by FFT classes and he's a Lancer.

Gunblades
04-10-2005, 06:17 PM
wasnt Freya a dragoon, and Sir Fratley.

i get the impression that dragoonKnights tend to be the Optimus Primes of the world, strong, noble, fully developed and skilled. they know themselves and their place in the world while still finding new things in the quests they undertake. Lances tend to be their given weapon, but i dont see why they couldnt use others, it's just a signiture weapon.

i didnt actually know much about them untill i took and FF quizz and it said that was my role in FF, so i was quite surprised

rubah
04-10-2005, 11:21 PM
There's a song called March of the Irish Dragoons we played once.

As far as I know, there aren't any dragons in ireland.

So my guess would be that there really isn't any connection with dragons?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-10-2005, 11:45 PM
"Dragoon" means a soldier who rides a horse. In FF, they're called Dragon Knights, although when the games are translated, they're almost always erroneously called "Dragoons" instead. I think FFIX was the only game that got this right.

Destai
04-10-2005, 11:59 PM
As far as I know, there aren't any dragons in ireland.
:shifty: None you need to know about

DJZen
04-11-2005, 03:07 AM
Other non actual DRAGON knights could probably be called Lancers instead since they certainly use lances. Or even Picadores :D

Except Ward of course, he uses an anchor for some reason. Just GOTTA be different, don't ya Ward.

Gunblades
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
well the dragoon concept will be changed in each FF reality

of course ireland has dragons, so does the UK

Destai
04-11-2005, 05:20 PM
of course ireland has dragons, so does the UKDRAGONS!? HAH THAT IS RID-IC-U-LOUS! LOL GOOD ONE GUNBLADES!

Zante
04-11-2005, 06:49 PM
"Dragoon" means a soldier who rides a horse. In FF, they're called Dragon Knights, although when the games are translated, they're almost always erroneously called "Dragoons" instead.

Cool, didnt know that.

Lances tend to be their given weapon, but i dont see why they couldnt use others, it's just a signiture weapon.

They do, in FFTA the dragoon class can also wield a few swords.

Gunblades
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Well there you go, signiture weapons are just like a cape or a symbol, simply somthing you prefer.

Dragons are all over the world, ive never seen a million pounds in the flesh before, but i sure as heck dont doubt it exists