PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you automaticaly lock threads over a month old?

Maxico
04-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I was thinking that seeing as its against the rules to revive a thread thats over a month or so old why don't you just automaticaly lock when they get to this state. I've seen it done before (admitadly that was on a PHPBB forum).

RSL
04-10-2005, 04:18 PM
It's not against the rules to revive a month old thread. We really look at it case by case.

Some examples of threads that haven't been posted in for over a month that get revived often are the voice thread and the picture thread in general chat. I have no problem with that.

If you dig up something several months old then that's a different story.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Four months is about where the line is for me.

Del Murder
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
It depends on what forum it's in and the nature of the thread/post. 'How do I beat this boss' doesn't really need to be posted in a year later, but if someone revives a discussion about Sephiroth's connection to Jenova with some good points then I won't bother with it.

Leeza
04-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Yes, I've left threads open in the gaming fora that were old, but that could still be helpful. However, GC and EoEO, etc. would be a different story.

Big D
04-11-2005, 01:43 AM
Yep, case-by-case for me too.

If someone revives a two-month-old discussion of religious ethics in EoEO, I'll leave it open. If they revive a two-month-old EoEO thread on "I'm seeing this girl tomorrow, how do I ask her out HELP URGENTLY!", then chances are it's gonna get closed because there's just no point.

Likewise, if I'm trawling through the FFX forum and find that someone's posted in a year-old topic like "Shlup vs Lulu: who has teh hotest buns!?!?!?" I'll dispatch it with extreme prejudice. A discussion of "the importance of religion in Spira" or "good strategies for defeating Penance" is far more likely to remain open.

Sometimes, automatic thread closure would be a good idea. However, there are always exceptions, so a more discretionary approach is needed. The aim of the forums is to help people have interesting, creative discussions; threads should be left open or locked accordingly, depending on their content and level of relevance.
:)

The Captain
04-11-2005, 05:26 AM
I find that the Staff generally do a great job in this department.

Take care all.

crono_logical
04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Likewise, if I'm trawling through the FFX forum and find that someone's posted in a year-old topic like "Shlup vs Lulu: who has teh hotest buns!?!?!?" I'll dispatch it with extreme prejudice.Has there been such a thread? :p

Raistlin
04-11-2005, 09:51 PM
If there's not, there should be!

RSL
04-11-2005, 11:41 PM
I am tempted to go make one now.

*votes Lulu*