PDA

View Full Version : RPG maker

Salarian
04-11-2005, 02:17 AM
has anyone ever taken the time to complete a true full fleged game....not me. I found out it takes more then A few hours to do this.There is literaly a limitless amount of things to upgrade and do in the first place. Text is the biggy! If you want a good story there has to be text,right? I doubt anyone took the time to make a game that was actualy worth playing..

Gnostic Yevon
04-11-2005, 02:24 AM
I use rpg toolkit, which is a bit harder to learn but it's a lot more flexible. I'm redoing the graphics on my current project so that the enemies look better. The system allows you to program anything you need into the game.

Shoeberto
04-11-2005, 03:12 AM
http://www.expectnomore.net/rm2k
That's my game based on EoFF.

A lot of people go into RM2k all gung-ho and ready to make their dream game only to find it takes a lot more work than they thought. It's a good way to filter out whether or not you want to be a real game designer, because if you can't make it through something as simple as an RM2k game, you definately won't make it through a real game where you have to code everything.

Psychotic
04-11-2005, 03:24 AM
I've made a full-blown game on RPG Toolkit, the program that Gnostic Yevon mentioned, and I'm currently making a game using RM2K. The problem with Toolkit is that it doesn't have enough community support, or at least the community support that RM has.

Meat Puppet
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Why are full games made in RM2k so hard to find? It's not like you have to do anything hard, apart from using your imagination to come up with a storyline that wont bore people to death.

Rase
04-11-2005, 06:47 AM
I've made a few good beginings, but I've decided that my luck in gamemaking sucks. Whenever I complete 2-3 hours into the game, something goes wrong with my computer and it has to be defraggmented/etc. Even when I put it on a disc, it was corrupted, three times. I decided to just stop after my fourth crash.

strawberryman
04-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I use rpg toolkit, which is a bit harder to learn but it's a lot more flexible. I'm redoing the graphics on my current project so that the enemies look better. The system allows you to program anything you need into the game.
Yay to RPG toolkit!
I'm wondering how you got the screenshots, though.

Rase
04-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Well, not sure if he did this, but I know you press the Print Screen key, than go into Microsoft Paint and Paste the image that was on the screen when you hit Print Screen. That's what I do, anyway. :)

Shoeberto
04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Why are full games made in RM2k so hard to find? It's not like you have to do anything hard, apart from using your imagination to come up with a storyline that wont bore people to death.
Lack of dedication. There's a lot of repetitive tasks involved and some technical things you have to figure out if you want to make it immersive in any way. Most people go into it thinking they can make their "masterpiece" in an hour, and when they find out how long it really takes their projects sink into the void.

Mittopotahis
04-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Nope! I'm the person that everyone in this topic has talked about! I go in thinking I'm gonna make the best game on Rm2k3 ever, and I am bored of it after a month max. I was going very well with a game, but then my computer stuffed up, and i found it and saved it onto a disc, but when I went to open it in my fixed comouter, half of it was gone! The only bit i had left was the begining which had a lot of Move Events...And thats about it....Oh and some teleports and Messages...Oh well... I think I have made 5 games, none ever got finished...But I am hoping to stick with this one!...Ive barley started, I'm making Job Classes, but I will get there!

crashNUMBERS
04-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Where do you download RPGmaker??

Shoeberto
04-12-2005, 01:01 AM
ASCII ain't too happy about the rampant piracy of it that's been going on, since technically it's illegal to have without paying for the Japanese copy of. You'll find it pretty easy on P2P services but don't expect to find it on the net.

KoShiatar
04-13-2005, 09:05 PM
I actually found it on Google. But now that I hear about RPG Toolkit, in what exactly is it different from RPG Maker?

Gnostic Yevon
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
well, it has it's own scripting language so if you are a good programmer, you can do more complex things than what could be done in rpg-maker. you can also make your own graphics and enemies using paint or titles using the editor. It has more layers on the boards/maps and unlike rpgmaker, the hero can walk under objects on a higher layer, so you won't have to worry about your bridges blocking the exit. (I alwas had to move my bridges.) RPGmaker is easier to learn but I think toolkit is better if you are a better programer. If you are really good, you can make a new battle system -- in fact I think there are some who are doing a more FFT style game.

Xalioniaf
04-15-2005, 11:16 PM
They are making a tactical system, methinks. I read it on the toolkit website.

Anyway, I don't really play RPGs. I have RPG 95/2K/2K3/XP, but only to play other people's games. I bought XP and got a ptach for it, though ^.^.

Meat Puppet
04-16-2005, 03:07 AM
I've heard that Sphere, with the right knowledge, could turn out some goods looking RPGs.

http://aurumdragon.com/rpg_display.jpg

Rinen
04-17-2005, 04:36 AM
I've made a trilogy on RM2k, it was called Stellar Wars. It even had it's own integrated storyline. The friends that I sent a copy of them to on the net seemed to love it. A couple of them actually said I should have brought it to a real production company to have it worked out. Since I don't have it anymore, and my friends have gotten their computers wiped out because of either viruses, or it got too old to use. Worked on getting that into RM2k3 when that came out. Got RMXP. Working on my own game that is hard to choose which is going to be which. I have been thinking of working out my trilogy on RMXP, but I dont know. The project I'm working on right now is pretty good.

Stellar Wars
Stellar Wars 2 - The Fated Hours
Stellar Wars 3 - The Mystics Saga

What made them interesting is not one of them you actually win playing the game. I've created the final boss and the ultimate optional bosses to be nearly impossible to defeat. The first one you had no choice but to lose. The second one started off with different character, but linked to the ones who tragically threw their lives away for a cause they couldn't complete. In the end of SW2, there was no way you could do anything but see how things unfolded into destruction. SW3 shown the two different possibilities that could have happened, yet keeping that in a single world at a single time. In that, SW3 was very difficult, more difficult then the previous games. If you've managed to complete a series of meaningless sidequests and deeds (like moving Moldy Cheese and give it to a stranger who is asking for some half way around the world). Although they served no purpose, when it came down to it, it made a big difference if you could have a chance at winning at the end.

Since I didn't have the attention span, they were only about five hours-ten hours of gameplay each. Still, that is pretty amazing for only one person.