PDA

View Full Version : OGG MP3 WMA FLAC AAC ????

HybridFan
04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes there are a lot of media files you can convert your CD's too, but which type do you use and why. I mostly use OGG at 100kbps as it sounds very good and is good for file sizes. I do have a few WMA's at 96kbps as these
too sound good. I'm going off MP3 because the quality is not that good.

Also are their any jukeboxes that can play OGG files, as I'm desperate for music on the move?

edczxcvbnm
04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
AC3...WHAT?! :D

Dingo Jellybean
04-11-2005, 07:53 PM
I use AAC 56kbps files. A lot of people give me slack for this though, since I tend to be pretty frugal with space.

The files actually sound good coming out of my car's stereo and my satelite speakers.

jrgen
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
You guys use way too low bitrates.

Shoeberto
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm not much of an audiophile, and my MP3 player is getting old and doesn't handle OGG, so I just stick to 128kbps MP3s.

Lindy
04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
192 VBR MP3s

OGGs, while having better sound quality, are too inflexible for my liking since my Nomad can't play them.

192 VBR hardly takes up any space anyway, takes up the same space, if not less than 160kbps MP3s.

Samuraid
04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Lossless compression WMA (300 - 1050kbps VBR)

I have a few MP3s (about 7GB sitting around) of various bitrates too. (mostly stuff from OCremix and VGmix)

AC3...WHAT?! :D

AC3 is cool. 5.1 surround sound or stereo?

Rye
04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
WMA. I don't download music, I rip it from the CDs I own.

Yamaneko
04-12-2005, 01:17 AM
I think OGG is the best format, but no one uses it and my Zen Micro can't play OGGs (firmware upgrade please). Realistically, I use 192 VBR. I'm still waiting for the day when we can all download FLAC, SHN, or even WAV with relative ease.

-N-
04-12-2005, 01:26 AM
MP3 - universality is its best feature.

Samuraid
04-12-2005, 01:49 AM
WMA. I don't download music, I rip it from the CDs I own.

Same here. I only download if the music is free or public domain.

AkiraMakie
04-12-2005, 02:38 AM
I like Flac accually, its pretty close to CD quality. Flac files take up huge amounts of space though. If you can get past that, its the best quality

Samuraid
04-12-2005, 02:58 AM
Flac is a good lossless format. :)

Dingo Jellybean
04-12-2005, 05:55 AM

So is AIFF, not because I'm an iPod owner either. It takes up half the space, yet still provides lossless quality.

Samuraid
04-12-2005, 07:15 AM

So is AIFF, not because I'm an iPod owner either. It takes up half the space, yet still provides lossless quality.

Actually, I thought it was uncompressed PCM. *checks*

It is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIFF

貴方死
04-12-2005, 07:18 AM
I like Monkey Audio Personally, barring that, FLAC and OGG. Even better, FLAC with an OGG encapsulation. As for the question of which players support OGGs, try out the iRivers, especialy the H3X0 series. An H320 is perfect for me, just need to save up and get one. While MPIO have great sound quality compared to alot of other players, they really lack extra features and the ability to be recognized as removable hard drives making hotplugging a nightmare for linux users. iRivers however work flawless, as do the iPods, at least under Linux, but apple seems to prey on a market thats filled with uneducated consumers and use some dirty business tactics with their iPod sales so I tend to avoid them. For me its either iRiver or Archos all the way : ). You can check out Tom's Hardware for reviews on all brands, and types of portable music players to find out which supports which formats and whats the right one for your price range!

edit: to the Audio Interchange File Format response... I belive it is alot like wav on windows. They have RAW PCM formats but also some codecs that can be used on the audio file as well. The user is probably using a perceptually lossless codec which makes them THINK it's lossless, however, I myself, NOT being an apple user, I cannot verify this information...

Samuraid
04-12-2005, 10:34 PM
edit: to the Audio Interchange File Format response... I belive it is alot like wav on windows. They have RAW PCM formats but also some codecs that can be used on the audio file as well. The user is probably using a perceptually lossless codec which makes them THINK it's lossless, however, I myself, NOT being an apple user, I cannot verify this information...

You are correct. AIFF is either uncompressed PCM or lossy (up to 6:1 compression). Apple Lossless is apple's lossless compression format.

rubah
04-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I don't have anything that rips in Ogg, or else I might use it. I dun remember if my cd player plays it though.

CloudSquallandZidane
04-15-2005, 04:53 AM
ac3... and uh.. m4a w00t... no im just kidding i use mp3