PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do any type of martial arts?

Black_Mamba
04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Anyone participate in matial arts? im in my 4th year of Ninjutsu currently learining Weighted chain and the Katana (Blunt of course)
So ...anyone wanna talk about martial arts?

Chris
04-13-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm doing Tai Chi, does that count? No seriously it's great defense if done properly.
I'm also practicing Kata. I'm more into defense.

smittenkitten
04-13-2005, 12:20 AM
No but i am a mesues and im going for kick boxing lesson's soon so i can kick a guy's ass in! :chop: xXx

udsuna
04-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Akido, Karate, and some good ol' fashion American Kickboxing. I also know some (basic) swordsmanship. I can hold my own against most fighters in any of those areas, but my strength is in less restrictive environments, when I can switch styles at will. Between my three styles, I can find one, or some combination of the three, that holds against almost anything.

I don't much focus on weapon's training: I can pick a squirrel out of a tree with a handgun, and I figure if it comes down to it, I'd rather have a gun than a sword. There is no such things as "fair" when someone pulls a weapon.

Although, frankly, I'm more more interested in the arts of love than the arts of war. :love:

Halifax Housewife
04-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Yes. I've just recently (Friday night, infact) achieved my second degree black belt status at Hiltz Tae Kwon Do.

I also cross train as I am in boxing as well.

Meat Puppet
04-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Does kick ass count as Martial Art? :spin:

Sephex
04-13-2005, 03:27 AM
I know this guy at college who is into martial arts. He just got his blue belt. It's pretty funny when he decides to get up and do random martial arts moves.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-13-2005, 03:32 AM
I know Shaq Fu.

Sephex
04-13-2005, 03:37 AM
http://exotica.fix.no/gallery/games/images/s/ShaqFu.jpg

Martyr
04-13-2005, 03:55 AM
One of my friends taught me how to do a "Scissor Kick" once.
All it is is a trip that focuses on jumping parallel to the ground and scissoring your opponent's bent legs with your straight ones (You get him behind the knees with one leg and right at the front of his ankles with the other.)

I've only been in one fight when I couldn't simply beat my opponent to the ground, and I used that. He fell down with me, but, since his legs were tangled up in mine, and I had the upper hand, I was able to beat him down after that.

I've beaten up people with multicolored belts. My martial art is Fist-Do-ScissorKick, and it's pretty dang efficient.

Hawkeye
04-13-2005, 04:14 AM
I do freestyle

Hope to get conditional black nov

Big D
04-13-2005, 05:28 AM
I've done a smidgeon of European wrestling, kung fu and jiu jitsu.
I'm currently having regular lessons in mediaeval quarterstaff fighting.

Casey
04-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Gunfu. Ever heard of it? :p Guns > Martial Arts :) Ive done some boxing, I wanna do some thai kick boxing though. :D

Big D
04-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Gunfu. Ever heard of it? :p Guns > Martial Arts :) 'Defendu' is a practical martial art that uses both a gun and a baton. It was invented early in the 20th century by an English officer in China, who combined martial arts with police weapons to create an effective way for police to defend themselves and suppress riots. It's great for situations where a gun isn't necessary but it's still good to keep one handy; it's also perfect for enclosed areas or close-quarters fighting where a melee weapon can be more practical at times.

Later on, Defendu was developed further and introduced to the military; the baton was replaced with a knife and the style became known as "CQC", short for close-quarters combat. Many of you will have heard of it thanks to Metal Gear Solid 3. CQC was of enormous help to British soldiers in the trenches during the war; they were easily able to overwhelm their opponents who had not been trained in it.

Now, it's a set of techniques used by practically every army and police force in the world.

'Defendu' is a combination of the words 'defense' and 'kung fu'.

Edit: Incorrect spelling of 'defendu'

Casey
04-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Gunfu. Ever heard of it? :p Guns > Martial Arts :) 'Defensu' is a practical martial art that uses both a gun and a baton. It was invented early in the 20th century by an English officer in China, who combined martial arts with police weapons to create an effective way for police to defend themselves and suppress riots. It's great for situations where a gun isn't necessary but it's still good to keep one handy; it's also perfect for enclosed areas or close-quarters fighting where a melee weapon can be more practical at times.

Later on, Defensu was developed further and introduced to the military; the baton was replaced with a knife and the style became known as "CQC", short for close-quarters combat. Many of you will have heard of it thanks to Metal Gear Solid 3. CQC was of enormous help to British soldiers in the trenches during the war; they were easily able to overwhelm their opponents who had not been trained in it.

Now, it's a set of techniques used by practically every army and police force in the world.

'Defensu' is a combination of the words 'defense' and 'kung fu'.

Awesome Big D, thanks. I never knew that! :) You learn something new everyday.

Big D
04-13-2005, 06:26 AM
:)The info all came from GameFAQs. In the MGS3 section, someone's written a superb and detailed article about the history and use of CQC in the real world.

Here's (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/metal_gear_solid_3_cqc.txt) a link to the guide which contains that article.

Edit: Some of the details in my original post are slightly inaccurate. I read that article quite a few weeks ago, before posting about it just now.

Shlup
04-13-2005, 06:38 AM
I just kick and scream and bite and scratch.

nik0tine
04-13-2005, 06:56 AM
I don't do any type of martial arts, but I think it's pretty cool and I have alot of respect for those who are martial artists.

Razo
04-13-2005, 07:06 AM
I do South Pacific Taekwon-Do and I'm a 1st Dan Black Belt :D
Unfortunately i haven't been able to beat anyone up (or even use it for self defense for that matter) :mad: but its made me super flexible!
I await the day someone succumbs to my fists of fury :)

Hawkeye
04-13-2005, 07:21 AM
I don't do any type of martial arts, but I think it's pretty cool and I have alot of respect for those who are martial artists.Bow to the fist!

DeBlayde
04-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I've trained a bit, here and there. Nothing spectacular. Not very flexible, not very quick, not especially powerful, not especially agile.

I've never been called upon to defend myself, and I doubt I will since I avoid such situations whenever possible. Nor have I been called upon to defend a loved one, either.

It's a great stress reliever, though. but it does become difficult to remain properly humble.

Rinen
04-13-2005, 08:27 AM
My dad taught me karate, kung fu, and south pacific tae kwon do, he was going to teach me tai chi, but never got around to it, as a kid. Later on I got into kendo. On off time, I usually practice fencing to keep my muscles toned for kendo. A couple years ago, I started teaching myself jeet kune do. However, I dont really count that because the only way I know if I'm doing a move right is look in the book, or watch it done on tv. I also practice with nunchaku, bo, two sword style. I make combinations to use my own freestyle fashioned after a couple martial arts. I could hold my own in a fight, group or 1 on 1. I'm also trained with various firearms and marksmenship.

Ultima Shadow
04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
I've trained a bit, here and there. Nothing spectacular. Not very flexible, not very quick, not especially powerful, not especially agile.

I've never been called upon to defend myself, and I doubt I will since I avoid such situations whenever possible. Nor have I been called upon to defend a loved one, either.

It's a great stress reliever, though. but it does become difficult to remain properly humble.
You pretty much described my situatuon as well. I train broadsword fighting every week though. :greenie:

DaremihC
04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
3 years of Ju Jitsu...

My girlfriend is two belts higher than me though...

Yah, she can kick my rear.

Faris
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
I use to do Ti kwan do, and I had a "street" self defence session in my PE class.

Itsunari 2000
04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I love the martial arts.I just find it so incredibly fascinating learning how all the various styles originated and evolved through history , particularly Budou/Bujutsu, (the generic term for the Japanese martial arts) , all the different specializations of styles available today is incredible.I regularly visit martial arts supply sites, to check out weaponry , equipment etc. and as well as the historical-related stuff have a number of books on the great Bruce Lee.So , yeah , I'm pretty absorbed by the martial arts.
I've had some experience in the striking arts, namely kickboxing , and at one point was looking to take up either Wing Chun or Choy Li Fut , but I'm now considering taking lessons in Aikido or Jujitsu over the summer.

crashNUMBERS
04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
I know there are some people in the world who are masters at Tae-Queere-Do...

Resha
04-13-2005, 01:14 PM
I did Karate for two years, and made it to green belt. And then I quit. xD I did kickboxing the whole of last year, but I'm taking a 3-month break from it now. I know some good moves, even though I haven't actually started my belt grading system yet. I did fencing for three years...does fencing count as a martial art? xD

Chibi Angel
04-13-2005, 08:39 PM
I did Tae Kwon Do for awhile and did a little with Nunchaku

Blackmageboi
04-13-2005, 09:07 PM
im doing Tae kwon-Do i got back from it 30 mins ago been doing that for a year and a bit before i did kick boxing so im bpretty agile ,fast but my short size means im pretty weak
im not allowed to take up anything involving swords/knives/nunchuks or any toher weapon(i have two younger sisters)but my aim with a gun is pretrty good though i have never shot a real gun i have had practise using paintballing

Rinen
04-13-2005, 09:46 PM
I've been working on my marksmenship since I was very small, around five years old. I started off shooting squirrels from 150 yds. Right now, I'm accurate to about 300yds with my .30-06. I need a better scope since it's only 9x. If I had a closed sight, I can be much more accurated, if I'm steady enough, I can get over 500yds. But I always have to calculate for wind and ballistics, so I'm usually off my mark. I still dont know why my dad trained me as a kid, or why I continued when I could have said I'd like to do other things.

SeeDRankLou
04-13-2005, 11:03 PM
I've been doing martial arts since I was 6. I have a second degree black belt in Tae Kwan Do and Ju Jitsu. I stopped practicing seriously when I started college again. It takes up too much of my time, and grad school will take up even more. I practice every once in a while, but not with my instructor or students. I still got it though.

Mercen-X
04-13-2005, 11:48 PM
It takes up too much of my time

My dad taught me what he had learned of Tae Kwan Do and Kickboxing.
I took Shotokan from Sensei Lafferty for four months before it started interfering in my studies.
Ever since my dad stopped teaching me (his job really cut into his life), long before the Shotokan lessons, I've been training myself in freestyle. I mostly create unrealistic supermoves and special attacks but the carry-through requires real technique so though unrealistic, they may yet apply to actual combat.
My dad and I used to practice shooting with an airgun because we couldn't afford to waste money on a real gun.
I practice everyday with a 4' wooden stick in the field of swordsmanship. There is no real lesson class for me, I just try to think of different ways in which the sword would apply in combat and carry it out. I excel in the use of the 8' metal rod, but have been trying harder to master the many faculties of the 2' wooden flail. I've since constructed a weight set out of the wooden flail. I press 40 lbs military and every other day curl them in sets of 6.
I can box while holding 20 lb dumbells and when I practice kickboxing, I wear special weights on my wrists and ankles much like Goku on DBZ.

Nod
04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Hokuto shin ken allows me to control one hundred percent of my body's energy.:D

But seriously, no, i dont do martial arts. ive learnt one of the forms for tai-chi, and i do qi kung to increase my energy levels, but this is all primarily for healing. I hope to learn a martial art when i've finished my degree, to balance out the healing aspect i have learnt.

Lankyman
04-15-2005, 08:27 PM
I did some karate a little while ago, but I really want to try Tae kwon do...altho at the moment I have to rely on running away :cry:

Mercen-X
04-22-2005, 11:56 PM
I bailed face-first off of my bicycle the other day. I sprained both my wrists and gave myself whiplash along with a nasty cut on my knee. I can't train with my weapons for a while. :( All I can do is train my hand-eye coordination through vg's. ;)

Jojee
04-23-2005, 12:15 AM
No, but I've always wanted to. :) I think I'll seriously get into it next school year.

Devourment
04-28-2005, 02:31 PM
I have Nunchaku at home, I use them for practice sometimes when I am not on my guitar or GameCube. I practice Nunchaku myself, I know it's dangerous, but it can't be that much harm if you start of slow & work your way faster slowly, like learning a song on guitar. I've never injured myself as of yet. *touch wood* I learn from a Bruce Lee guide book that I have. I've not used them in a while though as I've been very busy, plus my house dosen't have a large enough room for me to practice in. I did use to go & practice with them in my friend's garage, but I've not seen much of him lately.

When I'm older I would like to learn Jeet Kune Do, & Wing Chun. As you may tell from those two I'm a very big fan of Bruce Lee. I've not really researched into Wing Chun, so it would be a a bit silly if I choose to do it & don't like it. I'd perhaps like to do them when I'm around 21, I'll have much more time on my hands then.

I would perhaps like to learn to use the Kendo, I'm very interested in that.

Mercen-X
04-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I bet you could teach yourself Jeet Kune Do. It's supposedly called "The style without form" or something like that. Meaning, it's a bit of everything. Sort of like disciplined freestyle. Then again, I suppose if you're not disciplined, you couldn't learn it on your own.
I'm disciplined. Or maybe scared. I don't some teacher in my face telling me that I shouldn't use martial arts to fight. I know! I already know some martial arts. I could kill somebody with my feet. I've never been in a single fight even though I've always been picked on. If worse came to worse, like there was a gun in my face, the attacker would be a dead man. Unless it was a cop. That's a no-win situation. The only way to avoid being sent to prison to let him shoot you. I hate law enforcement. Everyone is crooked now. They shoot first, question later, and then plant a gun on you.

. . . and don't bring up the fact that not all divisions are crooked. I know that . . . but most of them are. When we called an officer over to investigate this guy who had been following me around, the cop was a nice guy. When my dad ordered me to drive into a police parking lot so we could ask directions to the new library, the cops were total aholes about the fact we can't drive into a police parking lot. We didn't know that. Give us a break! When we were pulling out, another cop showed up and stopped us. HEY! IDIOT! There's another cop over there. If we needed to be stopped, don't you think HE would have stopped us. Does he look dead to you? To top it off, the cop pestered me about my cap being on sideways! I needed it that way to block my sensitive ear from harmful UV rays.
Still though, most cops you will ever meet are just gunhappy powermongers. They become cops not to enforce justice but to bully and harass.............................................................................

I'm done venting.

By the way, I used to do nunchaku too. I lost them, tried to create my own, didn't pan out. -_-

KuRt
04-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Reading dragonballs, watchinc SmackDown and RAW, hacking at a boxing bag, also latex weapon stuff

DeBlayde
04-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Katori Shinto Muso Ryu is fun.

So is Go Soku Ryu.

a momentous occasion approaches next month, and we'll see how it turns out.

My name is...something..?
04-29-2005, 07:50 AM
I do!! I just started last year, so I'm still on very basic stuff, but whatever.

Devourment
04-29-2005, 09:11 AM
I bet you could teach yourself Jeet Kune Do. It's supposedly called "The style without form" or something like that. Meaning, it's a bit of everything. Sort of like disciplined freestyle. Then again, I suppose if you're not disciplined, you couldn't learn it on your own.Yeah, I suppose I could learn it on my own. I'd just need the dedication for it.

Jack
04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Used to do Tae Kwon Do, till my instructor decided she'll stop classes on Thursday and I thought "pfffttt"