PDA

View Full Version : The Intriguing Cast of FFIV - Your thoughts?

Fourleafclover
04-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I hope this isn’t a gratuitous thread…. Another man’o man I can’t believe someone wants to ask my favorite character *again*. But… here I go: What character is your choice for most interesting character.

Now when I say most interesting character I mean... well, what character are you attracted to in terms of their scripted personality. What is interesting about the content of their character?

They all have their merits but my favorite character is Prince Edward/Gilbert of Damcyan. I think I'm probably in the minority on that one tho'. ;) All too often I find that people tend to dismiss interesting characters on the sole basis that they suck in battle, which Edward does.... alot. However - I love his story and how he rises above his life's personal tragedies and his tendency towards self-pity, one of his huge flaws.

On the flip side, I suppose that Fusoya is the least interesting character but that’s only because he didn’t get much air-time or back story. I imagine he was quite a hell-raiser in his day… or maybe not, maybe he spent all his years shut up in the library on moon.

So - using FF2/4 as my model I was wondering who your favorite character is and if it's for any reason that's not "he can hit the hardest." Or perhaps give me one sentence that you figure best describes each character.

I’m chewing on some ideas for an epic fanfic (aren’t we all… :rolleyes2 ) and would appreciate any thoughts thrown my way.

“Boooo! Get off the stage!” :( Well – maybe not all the thoughts thrown my way….

Actually, I'll be quite surprised if Kain, Cecil and Rydia don't sweep the election, so to speak. Holding a favorite/most interesting character poll might be moot with a superstar like Rydia in the running.

Edit by Kishi: I know you know how to edit your posts instead of double-posting.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Can't choose. They're all pretty awesome.

Apollo
04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I picked Rydia. I loved all of the characters in this game with the exception of Edge. But I loved Rydia the most! :love:

Fourleafclover
04-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Whoops - sorry about the double-post. Didn't know it was taboo... guess I didn't read the FAQ too carefully, did I? :tongue:

Can't choose. They're all pretty awesome.

:) How diplomatic. :)

Ichimonji
04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
I though FuSoYa was the most interesting, although he wasn't my favourite FFIV character.

Cybele
04-13-2005, 11:40 PM
I thought Rydia and Kain were the most ineteresting. However, I found Edge to be terribly uninteresting. He didn't show up until the end of the game and didn't serve much of a purpose as far as story line goes. I really hated the fact that he liked Rydia, however, with the way Rydia acts toward him, it's all up to interpretation as to whether she likes him back or hates him (naturally, I think she hates him). I think the game would've been just fine had they never put him in.

nik0tine
04-13-2005, 11:58 PM
I think Rydia is interesting.

Monol
04-14-2005, 02:23 AM
I thought Yang and Kain were pretty cool guys

Sasquatch
04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
I thought Golbez was pretty interesting, with his mysterious ways and such. You knew there was something going on when Cecil would say things about him, such as after Tellah bites it, and Golbez doesn't kill Cecil. Or when Golbez takes the Crystal earlier, and decides to take Rosa instead of killing Cecil.

Meat Puppet
04-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Tellah, because he smokes a pipe. :spin:

Fourleafclover
04-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Wow. Votes for Fusty and Golbez. The Lunarians are doing better than I thought. Still, Rydia's far in the lead. I wonder.. how is Fusoya the most interesting? Is it because we don't know much about him? Man of mystery....

I thought Rydia and Kain were the most ineteresting. However, I found Edge to be terribly uninteresting. He didn't show up until the end of the game and didn't serve much of a purpose as far as story line goes. I really hated the fact that he liked Rydia, however, with the way Rydia acts toward him, it's all up to interpretation as to whether she likes him back or hates him (naturally, I think she hates him). I think the game would've been just fine had they never put him in.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Edge. I think he serves his part in the story (and in my version of events I link him heavily with Edward) but I don't think Rydia ever felt the same way about him as he did about her. Case in point when she turns her back on him during Cecil and Rosa's wedding.

I find Edge abrasive,obnoxious and generally self-serving. (All this without being a really bad guy underneath) Which is why it's good that he was thrown into the mix. They can't all be pillars of the community or our mix of characters would be pretty boring.

Del Murder
04-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Kain. The brooding loner characters always interst me most. He's not my favorite though.

TurkSlayer
04-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I voted for Edward for basically the same reason as Fourleafclover. Plus it was a challenge for me to get Edward not to suck in battle. (And I got pretty damn close to succeeded, too. When I was done with him, he was just sort of useless!) I also have mixed feelings about Edge. While I generally like him, he does get on my nerves quite a bit. I wish he had been replaced by a stronger Edward.

Fourleafclover
04-17-2005, 04:29 AM
No votes for Tellah yet? Poor old guy. I always figured he and Edge would have gotten along like peas in a pod. Both seem to have short fuses and spend much of their time playing out the same revenge fantasy over and over again..

And since Zemorus lives in the hearts of men and has a nasty habit of taking people over... I think Edge is the next one to go. Especially after Rydia has to sit him down and tell him point blank... "I'm not interested... there's someone else and he ain't you." Haha... poor Edge. :(

And Rydia's in the lead!

Masamune·1600
04-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Hironobu Sakaguchi as the chocobo. ;)

Among given options....Kain is a fairly interesting character, although he's far from my favorite.

Fourleafclover
04-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Among given options....Kain is a fairly interesting character, although he's far from my favorite.

Kain. The brooding loner characters always interst me most. He's not my favorite though.

I though FuSoYa was the most interesting, although he wasn't my favourite FFIV character.

I'd just like to applaud everyone for choosing their most "interesting" (a loose term) character and not necessarily the hardest hitter.

abrojtm
04-17-2005, 04:41 PM
I voted Golbeze because he's pretty interesting and cool. Who would've thought that he was really Cecil's brother and being controlled throughout the entire game? Not I. Not I.

crashNUMBERS
04-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Cecil 'cause he changed from 2 different classes...

strawberryman
04-17-2005, 06:38 PM
FoSoYa is a mop. Therefore I voted for him.

Ultima Shadow
04-17-2005, 07:25 PM
I think Edge's mom and dad were very intressting... what? :greenie:

*votes Rydia*

Sephex
04-17-2005, 07:51 PM
I'll go with Cecil since he is my favorite character.

fire_of_avalon
04-17-2005, 10:07 PM
I pick Kain, because he has the most complexity of all the characters. He's conflicted between true friendship and love/attraction, which made him vulnerable to Golbez's manipulation. However, regardless of this, he still possesses strength of character, and whether most people believe it or not, he DOES come back to your side after the episode in the Tower of Zot. However, because he is still mentally vulnerable as a result of his lack of faith in himself, which makes him switch sides again. However, in the end of it all, when everyone kinda wakes up to the underlying plan that's been going on all along, he returns to your party with a new plan for himself, if he survives everything the party has yet to face.

Man, I loooove Kain.

Oh, and I think Rydia was TOTALLY digging on Edge. Maybe not as much, nor as openly as Edge was on Rydia, but still. :)

Christmas
05-11-2022, 11:18 AM
I prefer Rydia. I like little kiddo. I keep little kiddos in my candy house. I want Rydia in my candy house. :bigsmile:

Galuf
05-11-2022, 11:26 AM
FF IV and VII have a similar thing to me where the entire cast is just. ok. not bad, not great either. There are like some that are a little better like Barrett but not by too much. I do think Rydia is my favourite from IV though, I used to like Edge until I got older and realized he is creepy. Don't like him no more.

Despite being a DRG lover i think Kain is the worst Dragoon in the series. Not gameplay wise, just character wise. He's too melodramatic and is a disgrace to the Dragoon name!