PDA

View Full Version : Tell us your Risk strategy.

Caspian
04-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Do you play Risk? Are you a beginner or an expert? Do you play with modified rules? What's your patented game-winning strategy? Will this thread get any replies?

Leeza
04-14-2005, 04:46 AM
You must have Australia. If you have Austalia, you almost always win the game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-14-2005, 04:50 AM
I usually go for Asia and then lose the game trying to maintain it. I can't help it, man, I want Asia.

Leeza
04-14-2005, 04:51 AM
Asia is better than trying to hang on to Europe.

Miriel
04-14-2005, 04:55 AM
You must have Australia. If you have Austalia, you almost always win the game.
Actually, it seems that the person who has Australia always loses when me and my friends play.

Risk used to be my favorite board game, but now it's not allowed in the house. My family...gets really into it. There are still sore feelings over the War of 1998. There I am, in a nifty alliance with my cousins and BAM! They're invading America. Backstabbing bastards. :mad2:

The Captain
04-14-2005, 04:59 AM
The Ukraine!

Take care all.

Dignified Pauper
04-14-2005, 04:59 AM
I tend to try and take Africa first. Europe I can usually hold as well. South America may be the best thing to start out with, If you can secure a small foot-hold in either N. America or Africa.

edczxcvbnm
04-14-2005, 05:19 AM
South America first. Then I work my way to Australia. Africa is easy to destroy from South America. Then you move on to Europe. With the troops every turn from Australia, Africa and South America it is easy to make Europe fall. From there you must do a pincer attack on NA. Europe will not last long against an Asia - NA 2 sided attack. Get a path from Europe to SA through NA to move troops. Now you can let Australia fall once NA is taken over. Let them waste troops taking that over. While you reclaim Europe and amass troops to take down Asia. All out attack on the boarders. You win.

Meat Puppet
04-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Hit them with my sword.

Dignified Pauper
04-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Hit them with my sword. :smash:

That's a hammer.

Jojee
04-14-2005, 05:29 AM
Hit them with my hammer. :smash:

(I've never played Risk ^^ It looks really interesting, I wanna try.)

Levian
04-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a foolproof strategy.
I just attack whatever I want, and if I sense they're winning, I pepperspray them.

Dr.K
04-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm a rather defensive player, so I tend to stay chained to europe and, while not really ever losing it, I don't gain a hell of alot either.

Lindy
04-14-2005, 01:20 PM
I use the genius strategy of not playing Risk and avoiding people who do.

Rase
04-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Strategy:
a) If I told you, I wouldn't be able to use it. Duh.

b) Just give me a nuke or ten.

m4tt
04-14-2005, 03:10 PM
If I'm losing I just pick up the board and throw it. That way I win because I said so.

theundeadhero
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Lose. Always garunteed. I've never won a game of Risk :(

Caspian
04-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I use the genius strategy of not playing Risk and avoiding people who do.

From the emo kids thread, you made it sound like you were <i>against</i> labels and stereotypes. I guess I've got it straightened out now.

Stay on topic. ~ Leeza

I play Risk a lot.

Sasquatch
04-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh, this is great. While I was deployed to Iraq, me and a couple friends got our hands on a Risk board for the last couple months, and played all the time. We ended up splitting up the board (really, cutting it into pieces) and each taking a piece--the piece with the continent on it that we usually had--a die, and the color army we always used. I didn't take a piece of the board (because North American wasn't all on that piece...the only ones that really worked were Australia and Europe), but I got my mighty green army.

I usually go for North America. It's not too big, but it gives an extra 5 armies per turn, and there are only three entrances, through three other countries. Iceland to Greenland, Venezuela to Central America, and Kamkatcha to Alaska. Not like Europe...with Europe, the Ukraine can get attacked from Afghanistan, the Ural, or the Middle East; Southern Europe can get attacked by the Middle East and Egypt; and Western Europe can be attacked from North Africa and Egypt. (Or it might be that North Africa can attack Southern Europe as well as Western Europe, but that Egypt can only attack southern Europe and Middle East. I think that's it.) Then, you got the Greenland-Iceland border up there to worry about, too.

Europe and Asia are the best, but they're way too hard to hold. Australia is pretty good, but usually you won't win the game, you just won't be the first one out--you're not a threat if you stay down there, and if you try to come out, the only thing you can try to take is Asia, and then somebody still might come over and take you down a bit. South America works decent, because it only gives you two armies but there are only two borders, but you've got to worry about Brazil and Venezuela being invaded by North Africa and Central America, respectively. And if somebody gets into South America and that's all you have, then it won't take long once they get in to finish you off. Africa ain't bad, because it gives you three armies, but those two border countries (North Africa and Egypt) can still be attacked from four different territories, and I think Southern Europe can hit both of 'em. Europe, as I said, has way too many borders, as does Asia, and if you've got the strength to hold Asia for a couple turns, you'd probably end up winning the game. However, if you're trying to take Asia, you have GOT to take out whoever's in Australia, especially if that's the only thing they have, because they've got nowhere to go but through Siam and into the rest of Asia.

If I don't think I can get North America, I'll usually try for a smaller continent like South America, or maybe Australia, and set up an "outpost" in Asia so I don't get bordered in.

(Yeah. I probably know a bit "too much" about Risk. Oh well.)

Old Manus
04-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I can tell you what to do. Skip to your loo. NO NO....No....I got it.... Drop the Bombshell...No thats wrong again. have you tried the "Fake him out method?"

Its where you have him attacking you but then you hit X, and you say "Look at this its a poodle"
The boss like a fool, looks....then, you strike, you take out your rotting coconut and hurl it at his inner thigh, REMEMBER INNER THIGH, not outer, that would be a crucial mistake.

Hope this helps.

Blackmageboi
04-14-2005, 04:15 PM
its only worth playing if i get kamakatcha otherwise my strategy involves fighting anyone that has more men than me

Psychotic
04-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Get the cannons and start saying "BOOM! BOOM! ALL YOUR MENS ARE DIED!" and then get all the horsies together and flick them all over the place yelling "NEEEEIGH!" and then your opponent is confused so you grab all the purple pieces (Because no-one plays as purple) and drop them onto South America claiming it's an alien invasion.

I seriously have done that. :laugh:

Captain Maxx Power
04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Kill 'Em All!

Rye
04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
What's Risk?

Caspian
04-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Get the cannons and start saying "BOOM! BOOM! ALL YOUR MENS ARE DIED!" and then get all the horsies together and flick them all over the place yelling "NEEEEIGH!" and then your opponent is confused so you grab all the purple pieces (Because no-one plays as purple) and drop them onto South America claiming it's an alien invasion.

I seriously have done that. :laugh:

My board doesn't have any purple pieces. O_o

Risk is a board game where the object is to take over the world.

Blackmageboi
04-14-2005, 08:51 PM
for the unenlightened (http://personal.monm.edu/JSMETTER/)
i give you risk

Psychotic
04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
My board doesn't have any purple pieces. O_o

Risk is a board game where the object is to take over the world.It's like this colour, but a bit lighter.

Plus there's red, yellow, green, blue and black.

Leeza
04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
I think that Psy is confusing Risk with Stragego. :)

Caspian
04-14-2005, 08:56 PM
My Risk board's got yellow, blue, red, green, black, and grey.

Psychotic
04-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Perhaps the British version is different?

Like our version of Clue is called Cluedo, and Mr. Green is called Reverend Green. But I can assure you it's Risk and I can assure you it has the purple things in it. :(

Old Manus
04-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I think that Psy is confusing Risk with Stragego. :)

Or Snakes and Ladders.

Blackmageboi
04-14-2005, 08:58 PM
risk does have purple peices i play as them somtimes

rubah
04-15-2005, 12:44 AM
I love risk. my dad never plays with me because it takes too long (it's sorta fair though, I'll never play backgammon with him 'cause I don't like it)

But my best tactic is crying and being sad so he'll quit attacking me.

Usually I tend to get all of south america or africa. I never seem to draw enough of australia to keep a good hold on it:/

Lankyman
04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
attack mindlessly, it makes for an interesting game. :D