PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone See Garnet's Real Name?

BlackMagicShrine
04-14-2005, 11:03 PM
If you did tell me?

Braindead_Paul
04-14-2005, 11:11 PM
I did.
Sara

Chris
04-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah her real name is... well, what he said.

Destai
04-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Its funny to hear that. I remember being told that her real name was Sara ages ago (as in years ago) by this extremely unreliable kid and with no reason to believe him naturally I thought it was bull. So why exactly is her name Sara?

Rikku199
04-15-2005, 12:29 AM
uhhh, when does it say in the game that her name is sara? becuase i know she wasn't THE Garnet Til Alexandrios (if thats how ya spell it) but i didn't know it acturley said her real name in the game, so where does it say? (it'll give me another reason to try and get past disk 3)

Monol
04-15-2005, 12:46 AM
In the summoner village (where theres all the mogs and where eiko lives) in the little shrine area if you do somthing it tells you...i found out in the 4th disk...sorry if i cant remember the details

Squall of SeeD
04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
uhhh, when does it say in the game that her name is sara? becuase i know she wasn't THE Garnet Til Alexandrios (if thats how ya spell it) but i didn't know it acturley said her real name in the game, so where does it say? (it'll give me another reason to try and get past disk 3)

On the Eidolon Wall in Madain Sari. Return there on Disc 4 and follow these instructions:

Take a party with Dagger or Amarant into Madain Sari and go to the kitchen of the Moogles' home. Lani will be there but will run away. Leave the village and return without Dagger or Amarant, and she won't run away. Talk to her twice, then go to the Eidolon Wall. Once there, walk to the right until you've walked all the way around past the exclamation point that will appear above Zidane's head and hear a chime. Then walk to the left the same distance until you hear the chime again. Then walk back to the right again.

Repeat this process nine times, alternating direction each time -- and making sure you hear the chime each time -- until you get a message stating that the characters' HP and MP has been restored and all negative status abnormalities have been removed. Now when examining the Eidolon Wall, more information will appear. On Ifrit's part of the wall, Dagger's true name can be seen. Her name is Sarah and her mother's name is Jane. These were the names of a Princess and Queen (mother and daughter) in Final Fantasy I.

PearlRose
04-15-2005, 05:35 AM
Okay, this has nagged me for a very long time, and if you guys could clear it up for me, I would be very greatful. It has to do with the proper spelling of Garnet's true name.

Is Garnet's real name spelt with or without the "h"? I've seen it posted both ways, Sara and Sarah, around the internet. My current game is only on Disk 3, or I would go check it out myself.

Llanowar
04-15-2005, 07:46 AM
If I remember correctly. (I'll go check it sometime when I feel like digging through memory cards for the save data.) It was withOUT the h

Vyk
04-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Any theories on her last name?

Maya
04-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Her real name is indeed Sarah. I just played that part and I remember that well. Her father had wrote it to the eidolon wall.
By the way, does anyone know what happened to him (Garnet/Sarah´s father) after that storm? Apparently he survived but what after that? And why Eiko was alone? Could she be close related to Garnet/Sarah?
I don´t think that anyone in this game has lastnames. I haven´t noticed.

Vyk
04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Wasn't it Zidane Tribal? Or something like that. Honestly I didn't follow this game much like I did the other FFs. I just assumed as a FF thing that everyone gets a full name...

Maya
04-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Wasn't it Zidane Tribal? Or something like that. Honestly I didn't follow this game much like I did the other FFs. I just assumed as a FF thing that everyone gets a full name...

I have no idea. I have missed/forgot things so can`t say. I believe that because this game was more like fantasy and charachters were partly animal-like etc. they don´t have lastnames. In other games, charachters are mostly humans, so of course they have lastnames there. In this game some of them, like Zidane, were created genome which has a soul. But I might be wrong. :)

Xander
04-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Most of the characters in FFIX *did* have last names:
Zidane Tribal
Vivi Orunitia
Adelbert Steiner
Freya Crescent
Eiko Carol
Quina Quen
Amarant Coral

If I'm not mistaken in most of the FF games characters had first and second names (maybe not the oldest ones), until FFX when for some reason they didn't.

I don't know about Garnet's real last name though.

Squall of SeeD
04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
If I remember correctly. (I'll go check it sometime when I feel like digging through memory cards for the save data.) It was withOUT the h

It's with the "h." I took a picture of the screen last night with my webcam: Linkage (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Squall_of_Seed/DaggersRealName.jpg).

As far as the last names go, there's an inconsistency between the Japanese and English surnames for Vivi: The Japanese name is "Ornitier" while the English name is "Orunitia."

Flying Mullet
04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Its funny to hear that. I remember being told that her real name was Sara ages ago (as in years ago) by this extremely unreliable kid and with no reason to believe him naturally I thought it was bull. So why exactly is her name Sara?
Way to only spoiler one of the two times you mentioned her name. :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-15-2005, 09:11 PM
As far as the last names go, there's an inconsistency between the Japanese and English surnames for Vivi: The Japanese name is "Ornitier" while the English name is "Orunitia."
If anything, Orunitia is an approximation of Ornitier, not the other way around. Rather, it looks like Orunitia or "oruniteia" was the original spelling, while Ornitier was the intended one.

Squall of SeeD
04-15-2005, 10:00 PM

If anything, Orunitia is an approximation of Ornitier, not the other way around. Rather, it looks like Orunitia or "oruniteia" was the original spelling, while Ornitier was the intended one.

I wasn't suggesting anything about it being the other way around. o.O I just said that the two weren't consistent.

ffrinoa8
04-17-2005, 06:41 AM
i thought her name being sara was disapointing... i mean really make it majectic or great or something...!

Vyk
04-17-2005, 07:35 AM
There's nothing wrong with a "normal" name. Terra kicked ass ;P

ffrinoa8
04-17-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't think Terra is a normal or average name in my opinnion sorry i offended you.

Undecided
04-17-2005, 09:31 AM
i thought her name being sara was disapointing... i mean really make it majectic or great or something...!

It's a reference to FFI and FFIII where you also have princesses named Sarah.

That makes it the best name they could have given her.

ffrinoa8
04-17-2005, 10:34 AM
never played it

Midnight Garnet
04-17-2005, 01:02 PM
i know what u mean...i was kinda disapointed too...she suits garnet way more

Vyk
04-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't think Terra is a normal or average name in my opinnion sorry i offended you.

Not offended. I was just yanking your chain ^_^ I like the more common names Square picks for girls. But I do also like the more eccentric/exotic names. Celes was cool. And Rydia (even though that's more than likely a mis-translation, I'm inclined to think they did it on purpose just to make it sound unique. Which I think was a good call).

rubah
04-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Tara is a fairly common name. Go read Gone With the Wind.

When you have too many fancy names, it gets annoying and overwrought. Like bad fanfiction.

Raven Nox
04-18-2005, 04:28 AM
I will always remeber Garnet's real name because it's astually the same as mine, spelling and all, I hate it when people spell Sarah as Sara It really bugs me... it looks prettier with an "h" any way. They ARE differnet names, just said the same... so her name is Sarah ok? How hard is it to add an "h" to a name? Are people really THAT lazy?

And Terra is a great name, I wanted to change my name to that 'cause my dad's name is Terry and Terra sounds like my name and looks alot like my dad's. I know, stuipd reason. XD Tara looks more like it sound be said "Tar-a" to me.

PearlRose
04-18-2005, 05:49 AM
Tara and Terra look like they would be spoken in completely different ways. And isn't Tina more accurate as far as Terra's name goes, anyway?

I digress.

Back (somewhat) on topic - I really like the particular spelling of the name in question without the "h" added to the end. However, to each their own, but as far as Final Fantasy IX is concerned, only one spelling is truly "correct", I suppose. In any case it's shown all of one time in the game.

Oh, before I forget, thanks for the screencap, Squall of SeeD.

I managed to beat the game this evening, finally, and I wish the Elidolon Wall segment had been expanded on more. Oh, well. It was cute, and the extra stuff about Eiko was interesting, too.

Is it even explicitly stated in the game that in is in fact her name? I know that it is and I did manage to do the sidequest myself, but it's more inferred than anything else, right?

Just musing out loud.

Raven Nox
04-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Tara and Terra look like they would be spoken in completely different ways. And isn't Tina more accurate as far as Terra's name goes, anyway?

That's what I said n.n and as you Tina, Tina is the translation of her name, and Terra is what they decided her to be in the american, so yes, Tina is more accurate.

And I do like the name without the "h", but the oringal is with one and I happen to think it looks better that way, but maybe that's just me and years of wirting it on every every paper I own due to school... >.>

Darth Cid
04-27-2005, 08:56 PM

It's a reference to FFI and FFIII where you also have princesses named Sarah.

That makes it the best name they could have given her.

Garnet: My thoughts exactly, I think the reference to FFI and FIII is a wonderful birthname.

Necron
05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
On Ifrit's part of the wall, Dagger's true name can be seen.

On the wall with Ifrit on it, it clearly states that Daggers real name is Sarah. My mate say's her real name is Margeret, but that is just a load of bull. It is definatly Sarah, with a 'h' may I confirm.

About her name, if you call her 'Spoiler' (This isn't a spoiler, you actually do call her Spoiler, Lol) when you get to name her just before Dali, Zidane gives you a special weapon. (You might want to save at the ice cavern first, because I might have spelt the name wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm right)