PDA

View Full Version : FFIX and the Implicit Reference

Masamune·1600
04-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Final Fantasy IX is well known for it's many and varied references to previous FF titles. Such references have been explicated in previous threads; they include the use of Garland and Marilith (Kary)/Tiamat/Kraken/Lich (FFI), the story of Josef (FFII), and so on. However, these are all examples of what I will refer to as explicit references; the connection to past Final Fantasy titles is immediately apparent, by name, form, or other blatant similarities.

However, in considering FFIX, I have noticed that there seems to be a number of implicit FF references; these are not nearly so obvious, drawing on understated similarities to characters and the like in the preceding games. Rather than being stated outright, such references can be identified only through inference.

I made the following post to join in the discussion on Squall of SeeD's intriguing thread The Role of Necron; in it I discussed Necron as an implicit reference to Zeromus (FFIV) and Neo Ex-Death (FFV).

Here's a theory, not about Necron's role in the game in terms of plot, but as a thread to other games. I don't, of course, refer to a literal connection (we've discussed this before), but rather to the myriad references to previous Final Fantasies that occur in FFIX. While all the explicit references, in terms of name, story, and facility, have likely been identified and/or explored, there may be certain implicit references to previous FF's that are not so easily determined.

In my view (or at least for the speculative purposes of this post), I would interpret Necron as homage to the ideas of Zeromus and Neo Ex-Death. In previous contentions on behalf of Necron's role in FFIX in this thread, similarities to the dialogue of Zeromus were pointed out.

(Zeromus' final words.)

Quote:
Zeromus: I will not...perish...so long as evil...dwells in the hearts...of mankind. G...gh... GRRRAAGH!

(Necron's final words.)

Quote:
"This is not the end."
"I am eternal..."
"...as long as there is life and death..."

Such a similarity should not be ignored, particularly in light of the multitude of clearly intentional references to previous Final Fantasies that were placed in the game. In fact, Zeromus' words could be Necron's: if evil exists in the hearts of men, then the possibility of one or more individuals seeking some ultimate destruction or negation also exists. Thus, as long as evil is perpetuated, so is the potential for Necron to see reason to perform his nullifying work.

Furthermore, in saying "nullifying", I suggest that Necron's purpose was more than to kill, to turn life to death. Rather, Necron sought something more profound and more horrible: the negation, the very dissolution of existence as we understand it.

(Necron): "I exist for one purpose..."
"To return everything back to the zero world, where there is no life and no crystal to give life."
"In a world of nothing, fear does not exist. This is the world that all life desires."

Necron, according to the dialogue, desires to return "everything" to the "zero world." Not only is this zero world a place with no life, it is also a place with no crystal. If the crystal, which gives life, disappears, then theoretically even the possibility of life also vanishes. Also, the crystal deals heavily with the idea of memory.

Voice of Garland: You have entered a new realm. There are no more
words. There is no more space... Follow your memory, and march forth...

Zidane: Garland, what exactly is our memory!?

Voice of Garland: .........

Zidane: Why can I remember other people's experiences and events that
happened before my time?

Voice of Garland: .........

Zidane: Garland, please! Tell me!

Voice of Garland: ...Do not limit memory to just one individual's
experiences from birth. That is only the surface. Every life born into
this world, whether natural or artificial, requires a parent. And that
parent also requires a parent. Life is connected, one to another... If
you trace the root of all life, there exists one source. The same can
be said for memory. All life constitutes an intelligence that holds
memory beyond experience. Memory is not isolated within individuals. It
is an accumulation of generations of memories that continues to evolve.
You can say that memory and evolution go hand in hand. But most life-
forms do not understand the true nature of memories... ...which explains
why most memories never cross paths.

Zidane: ...So, what am I gonna find by tracing back our roots?

Voice of Garland: ...A presence that presides over all life and memories.
The crystal...

Zidane: Crystal...

There is clearly a difference between dying and having never existed. But if both life and memory are so intimately tied to the crystal, and memory is a quality that transcends individuals (for the purpose of the game), then eliminating the crystal obliterates all memory. Gven that the crystal gives tangible form to life, this effectively voids everything that had ever happened.

As noted in a previous post, it's possible that the zero world doesn't necessarily imply total negation. However, it is a possibility. What's really relevant, however, is this: the idea bears striking similarity to a previous FF concept. Note that I managed to sneak in the word "voids." Clearly, negation and nothingness are not new concepts to the series. Neo Ex-Death, the final boss of FFV, is the very embodiment of the Void. Similarly, Necron can be interpreted as the embodiment, or more accurately the will, of negation. However, even if you find these ideas difficult to accept, the fact remains that Necron bears a clear resemblance to Neo Ex-Death.

Furthermore, "Necron" was not the original name for this entity. The Japanese version of the game calls it the "Darkness of Eternity", which still appears in the dialogue.

Zidane: U-Ugh... What happened to the crystal...? ...Where is this?

Unknown Voice: You stand before the final dimension, and I am the
darkness of eternity...

Zidane: Wh-Who are you!?

Necron, the Darkness of Eternity, is just that. He is the force that would remove the light, the crystal, from existence. And who's to say that, at least in theory, the crystal is not responsible for time? If the crystal disappears, taking with it time, then the darkness of eternity (you can, for fun, compare this to Chrono Cross' Darkness of Time if you like) becomes a chilling reality. Neo Ex-Death, should it prevail against Bartz and company, would seem to signify the victory of the Void over that which currently exists. The Void is a plot device, and can be interpreted in different ways, but I don't think it's too great a stretch to compare the darkness of eternity idea.

Throughout this post, I've constructed a view of Necron as a force to essentially dissolve existence. That can be argued from a number of postions, but such a theory was not my main intent. Rather, I hoped to point out similarities between Necron and Zeromus and Neo Ex-Death. Necron is a plot element, certainly, but it is also more than that: Necron recalls FFIV and FFV, allowing veteran gamers to once more recall their past experiences.

Soon after, I replied to the thread Symbolism of Beatrix. Examining Beatrix, I saw possible reference to Cecil (FFIV), General Leo (FFVI), Celes (FFVI), and Orlandu (FFT). The following is excerpted from my post.

Beatrix also closely resembles General Leo (FFVI), Celes (FFVI), and perhaps Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT), as well as Cecil. This is likely another example of implicit (as opposed to explicit) reference to past Final Fantasies.

While there are numerous differences between Beatrix and Leo, all that is necessary is the effect of recalling the fallen general. To this effect, certain similarities jump out at us. General Leo's special ability, in the short time he was playable, was called Shock. The best ability of Beatrix, in the short time she was playable, was also called Shock. General Leo was a man of firm moral convictions; nevertheless, he long demonstrated loyalty to Gestahl's Empire. Similarly, Beatrix has clear positive qualities, yet remains loyal to Queen Brahne.

Beatrix also has ties to Celes, like Leo once a general of Gestahl. Beatrix's White Magic also recalls Celes' Esper-empowered abilities. Celes' love story is recreated in that of Beatrix and Steiner. Both worked on behalf of a corrupt figure of power, but both ultimately fought for the forces of Good.

Finally, Beatrix is also tied to Orlandu, another overpowered general. He maintained loyalty to Goltana out of a sense of duty.

The comparison to Cecil, of course, still holds.

Of course, there is the comment by Beatrix about the slaughter of a hundred men. However, this does not defeat the Paladin metaphor. Rather, it simply reaffirms the ties between Beatrix and Cecil. Cecil carried out repugnant acts on behalf of his King, though he questioned them the whole time. In becoming a Paladin, the former Dark Knight was able to essentially exorcise his demons by putting the burden of guilt and self-doubt behind him. Similarly, Beatrix might seem to be a Dark character when first you fight her. Nevertheless, as she and Steiner battle beside one another, we see her as a Paladin.

and....

Ultimately, Beatrix recalls Cecil, Leo, Celes, and Orlandu, while maintaining her own character and adding to the rich world of FFIX.

Today, I happened to consider the character of Amarant. In him, I see perhaps the most obscure example of implicit reference. Though this example may be somewhat far-fetched, it seems to me that Amarant can recall the idea of Rubicant from FFIV. Consider the following.

Amarant is often described as the Flaming Amarant. Further, the bounty hunter Lani refers to Amarant as Red.

Zidane: So, the tables turn! Now, hand over the jewel you stole!

Lani: What are you tryin' to do, Red!? I thought you're supposed to be
the number one bandit!

Red-headed Man: I'm not here to help. I just want it to be fair.

Lani: What are you talking about?

Red-headed Man: Leave the jewel and get out of here.

Lani: What!? We're partners on this job!

Red-headed Man: I don't work with hostage-taking scumbags. Now, get
lost. Or...would you rather fight me?

Lani: Mark my words! I'll collect the bounty on YOU someday!

and....

Zidane: What's your name?

Red-headed Man: Call me what you will.

Zidane: Hmm... Lani called you 'Red,' right?

Amarant: Some call me the Flaming Amarant.

The imagery of "Red" and "Flaming" obviously conjures up the idea of Fire, a link to Rubicant. Also, Amarant's name, from the Japanese, should be Salamander. Salamander also implies fire (refer to summons in FFT and Chrono Cross).

Moreover, Amarant notes that he wants things to be fair. He immediately seeks to enter battle with Zidane; nonetheless he refused to resort to ambush or any sort of deception.

Red-headed Man: I'm not here to help. I just want it to be fair.

Lani: What are you talking about?

Red-headed Man: Leave the jewel and get out of here.

Lani: What!? We're partners on this job!

Red-headed Man: I don't work with hostage-taking scumbags. Now, get
lost. Or...would you rather fight me?

Lani: Mark my words! I'll collect the bounty on YOU someday!

Red-headed Man: Now, fight me!

Zidane: Just a second here. What's going on?

Red-headed Man: I told you. I'm not here to help. I just want to level
the playing field.

Zidane: Fair enough. Let's do it.

When, in FFIV, the party confronted Rubicant, he demonstrated an unexpected sense of honor, healing the party before beginning combat.

Rubicant: I shall restore you to full strength. Do not disappoint me.

After the party defeats Rubicant....

Rubicant: Though you are five, you have defeated me as one. I am most
impressed. Still, you will never stop Master Golbez. 'Til we meet
again...

Rubicant understands the value of unity and teamwork. This is something Amarant needs to learn, but eventually does. Interestingly, when the party confronts Rubicant the final time, he is joined by Milon, Cagnazzo, and Valvalis.

In any case, however, Rubicant fights the party first as an individual; later with help. Amarant desires one-on-one combat with Zidane, yet, after joining the party, eventually (after the incident at Ipsen's Castle) understands the greater power in working together.

We see this when Amarant and Freya fight the (ironic reference, perhaps?) Fire Guardian.

Fire Guard: Yes, we are the guardians of Terra. Filled with the power
of Terra itself...

Freya: What is Terra!?

Fire Guard: We did not become guardians to chat with mortals... We derive
pleasure from ending your worthless lives...

Amarant: Just to prove how powerful you are...

Fire Guard: So you understand. But will that knowledge help you?

Amarant: Foolish.

Fire Guard: What?

Amarant: Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used to
know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to find beneficial
ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out people to fight...

Freya: Amarant...

Although they are obviously very different characters, I see, as noted through the preceding examples, evidence of Amarant as an implicit reference to Rubicant. Admittedly, Necron and Beatrix served similar roles to the characters they recalled; Amarant and Rubicant do not share such a similarity. Still, this may be a subtle attempt to again recall aspects of the older Final Fantasies.

In any case, I have constructed a thesis such that, in addition to the well-explicated explicit FF references in FFIX, there are a number of obscured implicit references in the game as well. These serve to recall certain characters or entities in previous games.

Anyway, please comment on the ideas constructed in this thread. Do you agree with the assessment that FFIX contains implicit references? Further, are there any additional implicit references that you suspect or have identified and would like to point out?

Thank you in advance for your comments, ideas, and suggestions.

Rikku199
04-15-2005, 12:36 AM
ok well reading all that started gurting my eyes o_O, but yeah, when you think theres like, well over 10 ff games, its hard not to make characters that do not seem similar to others in different final fantasys, and you've also gotta think, squaresoft/square enix, they've made over 10 of theese games, its hardly suprising if they nearly repeat the same quotes in different games?

Masamune·1600
04-15-2005, 07:25 AM
I think you might have missed the point I tried to construct. The plethora of FF references in FFIX were intentional; they didn't occur because the writers and designers were running short on ideas. The many references were intended to be a treat for fans of the series, particularly fans who had played the older games (hence the four characters in battle, etc.). However, the many references observed were what I would classify as explicit; the names are identical to past characters/locations/whatever, or the similarities are totally obvious. The idea of the implicit reference is one that is not immediately obvious; rather, it only becomes clear after consideration.

Squall of SeeD
04-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Nice analyzation there, masamune. I agree that it was likely an intentional below-the-surface reference. The game certainly had those, and while not to the extent as was the case with the outright references like "Mt. Gulug," they're no less striking; I would even regard them as moreso. Anyway, good work.

Masamune·1600
04-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Gwelenguchenkus
04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Those are some great ideas masamune! There must be more implicit references, so I'm going to think about that a little more.

I also believe there are implicit references in connection with the plots of several FF games. Most notably FFIV, but I'm willing to bet with many others too.

Masamune·1600
04-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks! I'll be looking forward to seeing what implicit references you can find.

Masamune·1600
05-01-2005, 05:47 AM
While reading through a rather in-depth discussion of the plot intricacies of FFIX, a few of the suggestions conjured up images of FFV. Thus, I will add to my theories concerning the implicit references in FFIX.

First, I'll return to Necron. While I still see implicit reference to Zeromus, that seems to be a secondary link. The reference to Neo Ex-Death already seemed stronger, and a couple new points of information add further support to the implicit recollection of Neo Ex-Death. The first is obvious: Grand Cross. This spell, first seen used by Neo Ex-Death in FFV, is arguably Necron's most feared attack. In both cases, Grand Cross can inflict a host of extremely debilitating status effects. This is not a move that is very common in the series, and I believe that Necron had a technique of this name primarily for the purpose of recalling Neo Ex-Death.

The second new link is much more subtle. We know that, preceding Neo Ex-Death (as stated before, the embodiment of the Void), Bartz and company fought it out with Ex-Death. After this fight is finished up, Ex-Death is absorbed into the Void. We see somewhat of a similar situation in FFIX. Like Ex-Death, Kuja seemed a lock to be the final boss, as he (again, like Ex-Death) was the party's primary enemy heading to the final showdown. Also, like Ex-Death, Kuja is essentially doomed following his final confrontation with the heroes. Although Kuja blasts Zidane and company with Ultima (what exactly happened to the heroes as a result of Ultima is currently being debated, but is irrelevant to this topic), he falls (literally) following the fight. His time, like Ex-Death's, is up. Nevertheless, the game is not over: a new presence, alluded to if never actually stated, arises to confront the party. At stake in this final battle is existence as we know it: Neo Ex-Death seeks the perpetual nothingness of the Void, while Necron literally states a desire to return everything to the "zero world."

This idea, then, serves two purposes: we see yet another link between Neo Ex-Death and Necron, while also establishing an implicit reference to Ex-Death in the person of Kuja.

At this time, I would like to remind anyone reading this thread that the stories of FFIX and FFV were immensely different. I feel that the above links, and the one I am about to address, were intentionally included to recall the FFV experience, but not to copy the game due to failing inspiration.

There does not seem to be a great deal of analysis concerning FFV, perhaps because the game was initially only released in Japan. However, yet another striking similarity between FFV and FFIX exists: the idea of multiple worlds. In FFV, Ex-Death is sealed; he is trapped by crystals in a world other than is own. However, even sealed, Ex-Death is able to manipulate circumstances so that the crystals are shattered and he is freed. This leads the characters to journey to the second world, where Ex-Death returns. Similarly, the characters in FFIX find it necessary to journey to a second world, Terra, where Kuja and Garland have returned. We learn in FFIX that Garland seeks to assimilate Gaia into Terra; this is strangely reminiscent of FFV, where the worlds eventually do merge (creating a third map, that has transplanted locations from both). Ultimately, however, both the third world of FFV and (depending on your interpretation of FFIX) are threatened by the Void, or a Void-like concept. Thus, while the Gaia/Terra plot intricacies of FFIX are fascinating in their own right, they may also implicitly reference a similar (though, admittedly nowhere near exact) story element in FFV.

Again, this post demonstrates that a host of implicit references to past Final Fantasies may be present in FFIX. Your continued thoughts, comments, and conjecture on the matter is appreciated.