PDA

View Full Version : my personal number one complaint against FFX

Irvine78
04-15-2005, 07:00 AM
WHERE IS MY OVERWORLD MAP?!?!?!?

i was scarred for life by the absence of my beloved overworld map. i personally think FFXII should have some form of overworld map.

FFX executed itself alright, but didnt it feel just A LITTLE too linear when the entire game progresses pretty much in a straight line across a map?

the other problem with FFX is that it was not FFVI.

nik0tine
04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
I agree. I was rather dissapointed when I discovered that there was no world map. Bummer.

Shlup
04-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I thought it was a bit confusing, but I just rushed through the game to oogle the graphics, so whatever.

Vyk
04-15-2005, 08:33 AM
I wonder why they scrapped it. I know they had a good portion of it coded. They released the overworld music. Which I thought was pretty. And in the beginning they released a buncha videos of Tidus running around in the overworld. It didn't feel much like a FF because of that...

Old Manus
04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Tidus crushed all the towns saying they were too small and he couldn't fit in. He held Yuna to ransom and Square, like fools agreed to his terms - which was an underwater sex scene - and scrapped the overworld map. Simple really.

Spiffing Cheese
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Tidus crushed all the towns saying they were too small and he couldn't fit in. He held Yuna to ransom and Square, like fools agreed to his terms - which was an underwater sex scene - and scrapped the overworld map. Simple really.

LMAO!!!! :hahaha:

SeeDRankLou
04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
You have a map in your inventory, and I'm pretty sure you can use it whenever you want and see the overworld. There are also several points where you can look at a map that is on display for travelers as well. The overworld map is not gone, it's just not constantly visible.

Vyk
04-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Not a map map. That's not the problem. You're never actually ON the overworld. You just go from place to place automatically. There's no grabbing a chocobo and running across a continent to get to some far off town like in some of the other games. Y'know? Like in the other FFs when you leave a town or dungeon, suddenly you're this little dude, and there's lots of green, and mountains, and oceans you can't go into...

SeeDRankLou
04-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Ah ok, I misunderstood.

In that case, I didn't notice the lack thereof until about halfway through the game (Macalania Forest). I found it iffy, but there were other things about the game that made up for it.

Irvine78
04-15-2005, 10:58 PM
yeah, the map in the inventory is alright, but you can't fly an airship over the map, or ride a chocobo across it, or trod upon it, or navigate a ship in its waters. the lack of an overworld makes it feel like the entire game progresses in a very linear, though not entirely predictable manner. and i like the other fellow's idea on tidus holding the game ransom. worst lead character in an FF game yet (yes, he beats selphie AND strago).

Destai
04-15-2005, 11:02 PM
The main purpose behind it was to try to be more realistic and partly to try new things. I liked the world map but I also like Square experimenting with there games. I did find it more realistic admittedly plus it'll be back in XII.

rubah
04-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't really care for world maps. They make me more lost than anything-_-

Square had one started to be coded for ffx? and music too? Any chance to see/hear this stuff?

Alder
04-17-2005, 12:51 AM
It looks like FFXII is going to use a full real-time rendered world.. similar to a MMORPG. So, it's not quite the same as any FF before... I'm guessing it will allow a lot of free exploration and wandering around.

Big D
04-17-2005, 04:10 AM
I completely object to the absence of an 'overworld map' in FFX. I'm also vehemently opposed to this 'voice actor' business, and they have no business altering the battle system into something different.
Similarly, no real FF would ever use 3-D graphics. It's simply not right. It was bad enough when they brought in that 'pre-rendered' nonsense in FFVII.

Likewise, I'm appalled that the characters have names. There should never be names in FF, just job classes. Also, the game is a travesty because you don't get to choose which job classes join your party. That's how it was in FFI, the only TRUE FF ever made.

New ideas have no place in Final Fantasy.

...[/kidding]:p

ffrinoa8
04-17-2005, 04:11 AM
yeah it's a pity really...

Vyk
04-17-2005, 07:33 AM
I don't really care for world maps. They make me more lost than anything-_-

Square had one started to be coded for ffx? and music too? Any chance to see/hear this stuff?

Granted I have no proof other than the original promo videos before they really got down to work on the actual game. They had just built the engine and thrown in Tidus and Yuna to show off the graphics. Back then they looked like rip-offs of Squall and Rinoa. I got the OverWorld Theme from someone else, so I can't verify it's potential validity. But it did sound pretty enough. Though it was completely different from what was in the video. Neither of which I've heard in the game. Though I also never saw any running around on the overworld. So I just assumed the theme was scrapped with the overworld itself. But like I said, it was very early in production. They mighta just been making a landscape that looked like the overworld, just to build the in-game engine.

I should also point out I acquired a peice of music that was supposed to be for FFX called "Crumbling Time" that one might think was scrapped as well. I later realized it's a theme from the movie "The Rock". Very pretty and epic sounding music. It plays throughout the movie, but the best place to catch it specifically is during the credits. Which is where I suddenly went "Wait a mintue..."

And you could find this music all over P2P programs and wierdo sites for downlaod. I tried doing research to figure out if there was some connection between The Rock and FFX (maybe they had one of the composers? Nope...) No clue how that got started or why...

ffrinoa8
04-17-2005, 07:35 AM
you wrote too much...

Vyk
04-17-2005, 07:41 AM
o.O; Um... right. I'll take your word on that.

ffrinoa8
04-17-2005, 07:49 AM
sorry i don't like to read a bunch of words on a computer but that is pretty mysterious about that music though! :p

Del Murder
04-17-2005, 05:19 PM
I was kind annoyed by it, but the game had other redeemable qualities.

Vyk
04-17-2005, 07:40 PM
lol My apologies for being a windbag then ;P

Armisael
04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I agree. I was rather dissapointed when I discovered that there was no world map. Bummer.
yeah me too!

Optium
04-18-2005, 03:03 AM
I like the linearity though. The entire point of the game, or the characters
in it rather, is the pilgrimage. The fact that you were moving foreward for
the large portion of the game added to this idea. Then when you finally
can explore the world--well I for instance went back to Besaid and felt an
amazing feeling of nostalgia. I think it really adds to it. Granted there isn't
the same sense of exploration that there is in other FFs, but they fixed
that with the insane amount of extra hours you can put in getting the
extra stuff, especially in the PAL version. Just because something is
different doesn't necessarily make it bad, rather than longing for the past,
why not try to find the good things in the present? :p

.opt

Vyk
04-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Well I agree that its linear-ness makes sense. And the fact that you're actually trekking through most of it on foot yourself makes it more realistic. I just wish you could at least fly the airship yourself and see the world. Maybe not run on it on foot and just land and enter a place, they coulda at least given us that...

rubah
04-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Actually, it seems to me that the linearity results from the whole fact that

Everything in the game up to Zanarkand has already happened. That's why the game starts off with that fireside scene and why everything tidus says is in the past tense. 'Ironically' you get the airship right after that and enjoy the most freedom you get in the game.

Which was actually pretty cool when you think about it in a storytelling way.

strawberryman
04-18-2005, 04:14 AM
I like piloting the airship myself, not letting some old guy fly to my destination for me.

disapointedchild
04-18-2005, 04:23 AM
I didnt like it because it is change. A lot a people dont like change as to why many were against ffx2. But in the end, changes, if made correctly, are what we really want. The change of no overworld map, was completly overshadowed by all the other great things the game offered. I wasnt upset after playing the game. I relized I didnt need it that much.

BlackRibon
04-20-2005, 10:02 PM
it doesn't make too much of a diff from ffx having a map or not ( but for the others do) and the only thing that i don't like about all of it is the fact that you don't pilot the "chicken-head" airship