PDA

View Full Version : Wireless

Rostum
04-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey, I'm here yet again for some help.

My dad's computer is connected to a adsl router, which also has a wireless netgear router connected to it. My PC has a wireless card in it to connect to the netgear, and so does a laptop.

It used to be that my dad was on wireless and I was directly into the router, so nothing is different with the setup, except that I get very slow speeds (we have 1.5mbs connection and just got our new ISP today).

His computer can download at 150kb/sec pretty easily, while mine goes at around 2kb/sec except for the MP3 section on this site where it goes at 55kb/sec.

I'm really not sure what I should do?

Samuraid
04-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Sounds as if you are not getting good wireless reception. If your computer is too far away from the router or if there are a number of obstacles in between, it can significantly degrade the wireless signal.
Also, if your wireless router is 802.11G it may be broadcasting both a wireless G and B signal which also slows down performance a bit.

First, try moving your computer close to the router to see if speed improves...just as a test.

Here are some things you could do to improve reception and transmission speeds:

- Make sure your computer is not too far away from the router/AP
- Try to position your computer so it is blocked by the least number of obstacles.
- Check the control panel for your router and make sure it is broadcasting at maximum strength.
- If your desktop and the laptop have wireless G cards and your router is wireless G compatible, disable the wireless B signal. (set it to wireless G only)
- Disable WEP and WPA unless you absolutely need them (since they degrade performance). Use MAC address filtering instead.

Hope you have good luck getting the wireless network working better.
:)

Meat Puppet
04-15-2005, 08:56 AM
I used to have a fridge the intercepted most of my internet speed over a WAN. At least, I think it was the fridge, because as soon as we moved it, it sped up.
True story.

Rostum
04-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Well it says it is at an excellent signal strength (around 90-95%), and there's no obsticles apart from one wall.

Mine and the laptops wireless card are a G and not B, and the netgear is set to G.

"Disable WEP and WPA unless you absolutely need them (since they degrade performance). Use MAC address filtering instead."

I don't know how to do this?

(btw I'm just using 2 D-link wireless cards and a netgear wireless router, and a netcomm adsl modem)

EDIT: I moved the aireal around and it's at 100% signal strength now.

Samuraid
04-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Are you sure that the slower load speed is not due to heavy traffic on websites or though your ISP?

Rostum
04-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Well on the computer that is connected straight to the router does not have problems with speed on the same websites/downloads.

Shoeberto
04-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Do you happen to have any recent cordless telephones or anything else that works on a 2.4ghz signal? That could cause some bad interference, and unfortunately, a lot of recent wireless devices all use that same frequency.

Rostum
04-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Well, the thing is.

Both the PC's with wireless have been able to download at 160kb/sec from the ISP's speed test download, yet anything else on the internet they both go at 2kb/sec.

We rang up the ISP and they said it should be working and it does on the main iMAC, but they don't support wireless so they couldn't help us any further.

We tried turning off our wireless phones and it was still the same deal, so I don't think that was the problem.

It's just really strange.

rubah
04-16-2005, 06:33 AM
We recently started using a wireless router and it sucked. So we're not for the meantime.

What happened several times is that my computer was hooked up the router hooked up to the modem, right?

Dad's computer is about twenty feet away through a thin wall with a usb thinger, and he got an excellent signal and could load pages and crap.

Nothing worked on mine-_- and nothing would until we took the router out of the setup and rebooted the modemx.X

This wasn't the first one we used. It's one my brother has used a long while at his house without any trouble. it's just getting annoying:/

Rostum
04-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Well I posted on a famous network and australian ISP forums to get some help, and it has seemed to work.

I had a cable running from the ADSL modem into the WAN port on the wireless router, so I was told to change the chord into just a normal port on the wireless router. Rebooted all the computers. And it works perfectly.

I get 170kb/sec download speeds on my PC and 150kb/sec on the iMAC and the laptop.