PDA

View Full Version : You Got Served ... A Finger?

The Captain
04-16-2005, 08:24 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050415/ap_on_re_us/wendy_s_finger_25

This entire story keeps becoming more and more absurd.

Take care all.

Rainecloud
04-16-2005, 08:35 AM
"There's too much in this country today with people trying to get things by conning them out of it. Wendy's has been good for years," said longtime customer 81-year-old Ralph Woodman. "How the hell would you get a finger into the pot without seeing it in there when you're stirring it? It had to be some sort of screwball ruse."

Quite possibly, but who can tell for sure? And why would a customer go to the trouble of obtaining a real human finger so that she could start this whole scam? ...If indeed that is the case.

The Captain
04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "finger food".

Take care all.

StarlightAngel
04-16-2005, 08:40 AM
When stuff like this happens, I find that I really don't care.

Vyk
04-16-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm told that we taste like chicken anyway.

Big D
04-16-2005, 09:51 AM
If I was making chilli and lost my finger in the process, I'd probably scream and cry like an infant and then actually do something about it rather than sending the produce away for human consumption.

I mean, how can you simply not notice that you've been deprived of a digit!?
"Our goal is to find where that finger came from and who it came from. Is this an industrial accident, is this a homicide? Once you determine that, then we can start working backward." That's a worrying thought. Imagine if someone's been disposing of corpses by grinding them into chilli...
The San Jose Police fraud unit joined Las Vegas police in the search of her home there, and officers have questioned her relatives. A family friend, Ken Bono, 24, said the warrant indicated police were looking for a cooler, a blue bag and "any family documents about anybody dead." Considering this woman's apparent history of nonsense litigation, I wouldn't be too surprised if this was another stunt. Although I'd consider it pretty low to lop off a dead relative's finger and use it in this, or indeed any, way.

Seriously. The US judiciary needs to (1) adopt a 'floodgates principle' to limit what you can sue on and how much you can get for it, and (2) snuff out the rule that lets lawyers get paid out of their clients' winnings in civil cases.

This second one is particularly important. In the US, many lawyers let you pay them by promising a share - usually 25-40% - of whatever you earn from your lawsuit. 'No win, no fee' is often the case. This is often called a "contingent fee". The problem, though, is this: You have nothing to lose by suing somebody. There's no disincentive against bringing frivolous, vexatious lawsuits. However, the contingent fee only applies to the plaintiff. The respondent doesn't get any such deal, so they have to pay their full legal fees whether they win or lose.
That's why these cases often end in an out-of-court settlement, when the respondent (usually a big company) just makes a voluntary payout because it's still cheaper than fighting a successful legal battle.
Even people who know they'd probably lose are able to make a pretty penny by threatening to sue, then getting offered a big out-of-court settlement. It's sad... and makes a mockery of the principles of justice.

In my country, and others, contingent fees are illegal. Lawyers have to charge the same amount, whatever the outcome. Billing a client a certain percentage of their 'winnings' is prohibited by the rules of ethics. This is based on the idea that a lawyer should be focussed on serving justice, first and foremost. Sure, a lawyer has to zealously support their client, but any lawyer's first duty is to the court. However, when the lawyer's paycheck gets affected by the outcome of the case, there's an added incentive for the lawyer to be untruthful, unjust and basically a cheat. Far better to scrap contingent fees, I reckon.
[/rant]
:p

nik0tine
04-16-2005, 10:04 AM
The only way that finger could have wound up in that pot is if an employee put it there for god knows what reason. Then the question is: "Where did he/she get the finger"?

If the 'victim' planted the finger, where did SHE get the finger? Thinking about where the finger came from is the scary part.

smittenkitten
04-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Wel Apollo tastes nice you should try him ive heard im like strawberries?xXx

udsuna
04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
ive heard im like strawberries?xXx

Suddenly, I want to eat... I mean *meet* you. :D

No, but seriously, this whole thing is messed up... I did work fast food before (had to pay for college SOMEHOW). There is no way that Wendy's is responsible for that finger. These chains purchase their foods (pre-processed, mixed, packaged, cooked and frozen), from other companies who's only function is to produce this stuff.

If we Ass-U-Me the woman is NOT attempting a scam, then the finger was introduced to the food hundreds of miles away from the store itself, and then flash-frozen and kept in storage for (possibly) weeks. Due to laws in the U.S., I think these cooking factories are required to be on American soil... something about the FDA not wanting contamination from other countries' diseases.

Of course, all they'd need to do is examine the finger. If it hasn't went through the freezing process, it was put in the soup after it was re-heated.

Rye
04-16-2005, 12:48 PM
That's scary!

Also, I love Big D's avatar. xD

K-chan
04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Urp...no wonder why I never eat at fast food places anymore. Thanks for reminding me

smittenkitten
04-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Well BurgerKing's acceptable mmmmmm :<3: Chikn Royal :<3:........
mmmmmmmm.........and strawberry milkshake......but it get's scarier..........................
did you know they found sperm in the sauce at McCDonald's :barf: scary we'l have to watch out for these :shifty: crazy places!xXx

Resha
04-16-2005, 04:09 PM
This. Makes. Me. Sick. :(

Jojee
04-16-2005, 05:58 PM
I like fingers, they're pretty good. ^_^

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Would you say they're.... finger-lickin' good?

udsuna
04-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Would you say they're.... finger-lickin' good?

Haha, that's "punny". Be careful, or you'll get spanked by a monkey. Ok... I'm done now.

Big D
04-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Also, I love Big D's avatar. xDArtwork by His Kishiness.

strawberryman
04-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Wel Apollo tastes nice you should try him ive heard im like strawberries?xXx
I am a strawberry.

nik0tine
04-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Correction. You're a strawberry man.

strawberryman
04-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Correction. You're a strawberry man.
Close enough.

disapointedchild
04-18-2005, 03:56 AM
If I was the person that bit into that finger, I would be traumatized.

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "finger food".
Sorry captian, but this is not what they ment. I dont think.

The Captain
04-18-2005, 04:03 AM
I know, twas meant as a pun.

Finger food, I believe, refers to food that can be eaten with your fingers and not fork, knife and/or spoon, which actually is what most fast food is.

Take care all.

T-MaN
04-18-2005, 04:11 AM
I suddenly don't feel like going to any fast-food restaurants for a while, a looong while.

Raistlin
04-18-2005, 04:13 AM
Big D - ...I love you. I've been arguing that same thing for the past couple of months now. :love:

disapointedchild
04-18-2005, 04:16 AM
I know, twas meant as a pun.

Finger food, I believe, refers to food that can be eaten with your fingers and not fork, knife and/or spoon, which actually is what most fast food is.

Take care all.
Oh I know, I was just joking aswell.

Gollum
04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm told that we taste like chicken anyway. :eek:
I would be a bit worried if someone told me that...

DMKA
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Did it HAVE to be while I'm eating? =/

Tigmafuzz
04-20-2005, 04:14 AM
yes, it did.

Shlup
04-20-2005, 04:39 AM
Wendy's makes good chilli. That's what I usually get when I go there. :love: