PDA

View Full Version : Glitch with the burning house in Thamasa?!

FF Junkie
04-17-2005, 01:56 AM
Hey guys and gals. I was just wondering if any of you have had issues with the burning house in Thamasa towards the end of the World of Balance? I downloaded the ZSnes Emulator just to play FF4 and FF6, and the version I downloaded off of this site is the second one I've tried that's gotten me stuck in the same spot. When it's time to enter the house all I get is the screen with the waves of fire... there're no characters, and no buttons work. Is this a glitch with the game? If so, is there a way around it? It's been a LOOONG time since I've gotten to play this classic, and hate to think I can't get past this point ever again.... thanks for any suggestions.

crono_logical
04-17-2005, 03:36 AM
I haven't touched zsnes in a long time, but I believe you're running in too low a colour pallette or have some sort of transparency function disabled - play around with the emulator's video configuration. Someone else should be able to describe better than I have :p

Thing is, when you've fixed it, you might end up wanting to start over yet again because the image quality will be so much better :monster:

FF Junkie
04-17-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I did mess around with all of the configuration options that I could, but I wasn't able to get it to work. The graphics do look better though. What emulator do you use? And is it possible to get it on the net? I don't know much about them, just got this one for free, along with several ROMs, a few years back while I was in college.
Also, if I can find another emulator, I'm guessing I'll have to start all over again with the game? I'm not sure how saved state games can be uploaded into the emulator, so I can't get them to work either... lol. I guess I need to trade in some of my endocrinology and metabolism based texts for a few computer gaming ones :)

rubah
04-17-2005, 04:22 AM
I used snes9x and had no problems with the burning house bitX.x If it's only suddenly in the house bit that you can't see anything but fire, maybe it's something wrong with the rom?

crono_logical
04-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Yeah, you can move to Snes9x instead if you want - that's what I use. If that can find the save game data (stored in a .srm file in the same folder as the ROM normally) and you've not been using the savestate feature of zsnes, then you should be able to continue where you left off. I'm not so certain if Snes9x can read zsnes's savestates though, but the .srm should be readable regardless of which emulator you're using.

This glitch is definitely due to an emulator being configured wrong though and not the ROM, I've seen this happen before with many games.

FF Junkie
04-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Man, I really DO need to pick up a fwe computer gaming texts!! I didn't know there was a difference between ZSnes and Snes9xw... when I go to the program folder on my computer it's called ZSnes, then when I click on the program itself it's called SNes9xw, version 1.30, I believe. And it doesn't work with that part. I don't think it's a ROM problem anymore, as this is the second version of the ROM I've tried and it's failed in the same part, without a single problem anywhere else.... Is there a way I could import one of those save state games from right after that house part and at least keep playing, even if it's not my game? Where can I get one that picks up right after that scene, if so, and how do I import it? Do I download it right into the folder of the unzipped ROM?

Thanks again for all of your help. I don't want to seem like a bother..it's just that this is one of my favorite games and having the chance to play it again and take in the storyline/ connect with these great characters has me jumping at the bit, so to speak :) ... that, AND I have to ask questions because I'm a complete novice when it comes to emulators :p

Tonepoet
04-17-2005, 05:33 AM
ZSnes and snesX9 are two differnt brands of the same thing, an SNES emulator. Maybe if you got a differnt emulator it would work, I don't know the nature of the glitch though so I'm not sure.

Is there a way I could import one of those save state games from right after that house part and at least keep playing, even if it's not my game?
Yeah, that should work, if you can find the file. You'll just have to drop it into your savestate folder I think. Read the emulator's readme for details. I would like to add that you will miss a touching little scene at the end of the burning house if you do that though.

What I truly recommend though is that you actually find a copy of the game. There are both SNES and PSX versions so it wouldn't be hard to find and I've never personally encountered this problem on the console version. ROMs are often known for being more unreliable as compared to their console counterparts. Also as a side bonus, I've heard that the Blitzes are much easier to perform on a controller too. All you have to do is sweep your thumb around in a circle or semi-circle for most of them. :)

Is that helpful?

FF Junkie
04-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Certainly is helpful :) I'll have to do some searching this week to see if I can find a PS One version (been wanting to see the game with the new movies anyways). As for missing out on the little scene.... I was a FREAK when this game first came out.. had it pre-ordered months in advance (I still recall it's the most expensive game I've ever bought- $79.99 before tax!!! ). I dished out all of my allowance money gladly, and before SNES gave way to PS and N64 I'd beat the game at least 15 times, so I have a decent grasp on the storyline ;) But, and I know I don't need to say this HERE of all places, you can never get too much of a good thing when that good thing is a FF game!!! So I'm going at it again for a refresher. I can deal with missing a scene with Shadow and interceptor to the rescue ("Flame Eater" is the boss here, if I recall correctly), just so long as I can get on with the great tale and see the rest of the scenes :) Thanks again for the insight though :D

Tonepoet
04-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Your welcome, I'm glad to have helped and as long as you're going to be looking, there are two differnt versions of the game for the PSX. Final Fantasy Anthology (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002R28C/qid=1113720903/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl63/103-6716059-9691000?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846) which was bundled with V and released in the U.S but also there was a stand alone CD released in Europe, which I can't exactly find off hand. I mention this because some games have regional locks and will only work with consoles that have specific specs. Also, bundles are easy to miss sometimes. Good luck.

And yep, it was definatly FlameEater. He was an annoying little bugger because you had to fight him with only three people and he could call bombs/granades. Thank goodness for Aqua Rake. :D

FF Junkie
04-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks again, this time for the added head's up in searching. I'm going to spend a bit of time looking for that later today after I get some sleep..... gotta love working the night shift on weekends :rolleyes2 :D I really want to see the game with the new movies and graphics!!!

FF Junkie
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey, I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for all of your help again. Thanks to your suggestions I was able to locate a newer version of Snes (version 1.43) and it handles that scene just fine... SOOO I'm going to go and continue on my FF6 journey :D :D The sound's a bit worse on this one (lots of little glitches), but I'll take it, so long as I can keep playing. Besides, like all of you most likely do as well, I have all of the game's MIDI files on my computer, so I can hear them with excellent clarity any time I want :) ... Back to the game for now!!! Thanks a million.