PDA

View Full Version : Cloud's Personality

Gwelenguchenkus
04-17-2005, 03:27 PM
It somewhat irritates me when cloud's personality is compared to Squall, because I think they were quite different. But, that isn't why I made this topic. I made this topic because of the first few hours of the game in Midgar, all the way up to the Kalm flashback.

Cloud was... hired by avalanche to help them blow up these reactors. He gives the impression that he couldn't give a damn about the planet or anything for that matter, and that all he wanted was his money. He also makes it clear that he was in SOLDIER. When asked whether there was anyone from SOLDIER that they fought, Cloud responds 'If there was you wouldn't be standing' or some other statement, which is actually indirectly arrogant.. in that since he was in SOLDIER, he is blowing himself up as some kind of hot shot. This irritates Barret a lot.

But wait, all of the sudden he's saving Aeris, and the planet? He's after Sephiroth, which I think he exclaims to be 'the real threat to the planet'? Was he secretly hiding these heroic notions?

Or maybe, he was jsut trying to act tough in front of Tifa?

----------

What are your interpretations of Cloud's personality? I'm still not sure how to enterpret it. Did he like Aeris enough that it motivated himself to save her, loosening up in the process or what?

Squall of SeeD
04-17-2005, 06:11 PM
He more than likely went after Sephiroth for revenge for what happened in Nibelheim. Even at the end of the game, he says he's doing what he's doing for revenge and that saving the Planet will just happen to be a result of that:

Cloud
"For me, this is a personal feud."
"I want to beat Sephiroth. And settle my past."
"Saving the planet just happens to be a part of that."

Gwelenguchenkus
04-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Really. That is definitely interesting that revenge was his main motive over saving the world. I can't think of a main character quite like that other than cloud.

Squall of SeeD
04-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Really. That is definitely interesting that revenge was his main motive over saving the world. I can't think of a main character quite like that other than cloud.

He was certainly the only one in the Final Fantasy series to be like that. Cloud really wasn't a hero so much as an anti-hero. I'm thinking that was the intention due to the pervading dark themes of the game. Zack was more the hero than Cloud, really. He seemed to be a rather decent fellow from what we saw, breaking Cloud out of the Shin-Ra Mansion when he didn't really have to, and then running back to get Cloud on the bluff above Midgar instead of escaping on his own, getting killed in the process.

I believe that was the intent, and that the flashback scene in which Zack dies shows us one of the intended themes of the game: The hero was dead before the game even started, and things fell to an anti-hero to save the day.

Armisael
04-18-2005, 04:42 PM
I believe that was the intent, and that the flashback scene in which Zack dies shows us one of the intended themes of the game: The hero was dead before the game even started, and things fell to an anti-hero to save the day.
That was the quote of the day!^_^

Masamune·1600
04-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't totally agree with the Cloud as an anti-hero concept, to be honest. You make it sound as though saving the planet is not important to Cloud at all; rather, the world's lucky that the planet being saved would be a function of Sephiroth's defeat. However, the dialogue you cited conflicts, as I see it, with other instances following the restoration of the 'real' Cloud.

Cait Sith: By the way, Cloud. What are you going to do now? Don't tell me you're
going to leave the ship?

Cloud: ......I'm the reason why Meteor is falling towards us. That's why I have
to do something in my power to fight this thing.

Barret: Good!! Then you're gonna keep fightin' to save the planet!?

Cloud: It's like you always told me, Barret.

Barret: Oh, uh, you mean that!

Red XIII: What? I don't understand!

Barret: There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on! The train we on don't make
no stops!

This segment, almost immediately following his recovery, at the least hints at a feeling of responsibility for everything that's happened. It also, however, seems to suggest a heightened interest in saving the planet.

Also....

Cloud: Hey, Cid! What're you doing!? There are generations of knowledge and
wisdom inside the Materia. We're gonna borrow their powers and save the planet
from Sephiroth. There's no way that we can lose the Huge Materia. You understand
that, right?

Cid: Yeah, I understand. I understand that Materia is precious, and also
understand what you're thinking. But listen. I don't give a rat's ass whether
it's science or magical power. No, I guess if I had to choose, I'd rather put my
money on the power of science. Humans who used to only roam around on the ground
are able to fly now! And finally, we're about to go into outer space. Science is
a "Power" created and developed by humans. And science just might be what saves
this planet. I was able to earn my living thanks to science. So to me, there's
nothing greater! Now quit your worrying 'bout what Shinra's gonna do! I don't
want to regret not having done something later.

Cloud: But, Cid......

In this segment, Cloud mentions using the materia to save the planet. Further, preventing the destruction or loss of the Huge materia would seem to indicate an interest in preservation of the planet independent of Sephiroth.

Soon after, while in space:

Cid: Don't worry 'bout me. Hurry up and go! If you don't hurry, the rocket's
gonna crash into Meteor!

Cloud: ...I can't go without my friends.

Cid: You @^#*%$&......! No time to worry 'bout other people!

Cloud: I'm gonna do whatever I can.

Cid: You're stupid. You're really *&^%$#@ stupid. Tank Number 8 blew up...... So
Tank Number 8... really was malfunctioning...... Shera... You were right.
But, ......this is the end for me.

Shera: Don't say that, Cid.

This is an example of Cloud as a trraditional hero, refusing to abandon a teammate (and, more importantly, a friend).

Later on, in the same conversation where Cloud states that his main purpose is revenge:

Cloud: I know why I'm fighting. I'm fighting to save the planet, and that's
that.
But besides that, There's something personal too... A very personal memory that
I have. What about you all? I want all of you to find that something within
yourselves. If you don't find it, then that's okay too. You can't fight without
a reason, right? So, I won't hold it against you if you don't come back.

Cloud may be fighting to settle the score with Sephiroth, so to speak, but he's also fighting for the planet...and for Aeris.

Regarding ending sequences....

There is an ongoing argument as to what the Lifestream duel (between Cloud and Sephiroth) really entailed. Some people cite it as a physical conflict; others as an emotional or spiritual one. Whatever the case may be, however, is it certainly a representative victory. By defeating Sephiroth, Cloud can ultimately complete the process of throwing off Seph's malignant influence and emerge as his fully true self.

Ultimately, Cloud strikes me as a very human hero. Further, he is arguably the most complex hero the series has yet developed. Although he has many positive attribuutes, he also has weaknesses, primarily self-doubt. In the end, Cloud is able to overcome those weaknesses. He is certainly not the same type of a hero as, say, Ramza or Zidane. However, Cloud seems to me to be a better hero than that. He is representative of everyone; he has virtues and flaws, and we can all hope to, like Cloud, overcome our flaws and emerge as bettter people. Cloud may start out as an anti-hero, to be sure. I just don't see him concluding the story as one.

Squall of SeeD
04-18-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't totally agree with the Cloud as an anti-hero concept, to be honest. You make it sound as though saving the planet is not important to Cloud at all; rather, the world's lucky that the planet being saved would be a function of Sephiroth's defeat.

I said not a hero so much as an anti-hero. For the majority of the game, and even at the end, he's doing things for selfish reasons, with it being beneficial to others. That is not to say, however, that he doesn't care about the Planet. That's just to say that his main motive wasn't saving the Planet, as would be the case of one who is noble, a defining characteristic of heroes.

As far as caring about a friend being a characteristic of a hero, emotions aren't hero-exclusive. Even many villains can truly love their friend or lover.

On the matter of the ending sequence -- which was definitely not a physical battle, as Cloud's body never moved from that ledge -- yes, Cloud displays with that scene that he has become autonomous, but that merely displays that he has come to accept himself and has gained a strong will as a result. Yes, Cloud begins moving toward heroism during the game, and much of what he does is beneficial for the world at large, but it is with a selfish goal in mind that he's doing these things, thus he's an anti-hero by definition. An anti-hero is one that does things for selfish reasons but benefits the overall good. That's Cloud.

I will agree with you on the matter of Cloud representing the Every Man. He's a Marvel Comics superhero (as opposed to DC, which predominantly features truly supernatural and superhuman beings, such as gods, godesses, and aliens) basically, the Peter Parker of Final Fantasy. He's the Average Joe who attains great power and is thrust into a world-shattering conflict.

Captain Maxx Power
04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Ironic. With great power comes great responsibility. Kinda sums up the whole Cloud needing to the save the planet shenanigan quite nicely. Excelsior!