PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with Linkin' Park?

Martyr
04-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry if this has been done, but I've noticed a lot of hate going out to Linkin' Park.

Now, it isn't my favorite band or nothing, but I think that their music is great. Meteroa is an excellent album with barely a song that can be knocked for being bad. They have a unique sound, good rythm and such.
They have a large band with lots of intruments, and they can keep it all together and sounding good.
They've got hits all over the place which are plenty good to be hits.

That's all very general stuff.

I just don't know why some people don't like it.

Note: This is for people who like rock music, obviously. If Linkin' Park isn't in your preferred genre, then of course you may not feel that it is worth listening to. I just want to know what the rockers have against it.

Agent Proto
04-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I find Linkin Park enjoyable, but it's kind of coincidence that many people associate angst with them. (Ex. "omg, my parents hate me, i'll go listen to some linkin park now.") And because of that, it turns off some people.

Some people don't like the rap/rock sound Linkin Park is, which is similar to Limp Bizkit.

As for me, I find Linkin Park at least enjoyable. :)

Shoeberto
04-17-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't like them because I can predict the way every song is planned out.

Quiet techno sound. Heavy guitar. Quiet singing or rapping. Heavy guitar and screaming. Quiety singing/rapping. Bridge. Quiet techno outro.

If they weren't so formulaic, they'd be a lot better.

gokufusionss1
04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
it's all part of the nu metal backlash, blame fred durst.

Rye
04-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Because they're sell outs that only had one good CD. And ugh, Fred Durst is horrible.

Also, I used to be an INSANE fan of LP until I realised how terrible their second two CDs were, btw.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't like them because I can predict the way every song is planned out.

Quiet techno sound. Heavy guitar. Quiet singing or rapping. Heavy guitar and screaming. Quiety singing/rapping. Bridge. Quiet techno outro.

If they weren't so formulaic, they'd be a lot better.
Exactly. Every song is the same thing, with few exceptions.

TheAbominatrix
04-17-2005, 11:55 PM
I agree with what Hsu said, and would like to add that I dont like the permenantly angsty lyrics. It gets really old. Every song I hear from them is so 'poor me', and while I dont like those sorts of songs period, I really dont like them when coming from very rich people.

XxSephirothxX
04-18-2005, 12:00 AM
I just don't particularly like their style of music, I wouldn't say I hate them. Plus I think one of their album covers had a total ripoff picture of a Gundam on it. That irked me.

Destai
04-18-2005, 12:05 AM
I really enjoyed Hybrid Theory and liked the rap/rock although I HATE Fred Durst but as has been said, You can predict how every song is going to work out. Not as repetitive as Maroon 5's album (just imagine 46:11 minutes of THE EXACT SAME FRIGGIN SONG) but they both work the same way. Theyll release a single wich will sound great across the radio but on an album the songs have no great variety.
Every song I hear from them is so 'poor me', and while I dont like those sorts of songs period, I really dont like them when coming from very rich people. :<3:

nik0tine
04-18-2005, 12:10 AM
I used to like them alot. I don't like the rap/rock sound. Everyone is surprised when they find out that I hate Rage Against the Machine. It's just the rap/rock genre that really, really sucks. At least, in my mind it does.

Phil
04-18-2005, 12:31 AM
I never liked them... I just thought they were weird.

Skogs
04-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Meteora was a carbon copy of Hybrid Theory, which was an ok album. It all just sounds very... tired, now. In short, it's got no soul - it's pop with heavy guitars. There's just so much more interesting music out there. The best albums should get better the more you listen to them. They should grow on you. Linkin Park offer cheap, disposable thrills with no staying power.

fire_of_avalon
04-18-2005, 02:32 AM
*shrug* I still listen to it and I don't care about people who tell me I suck because I listen to it. I do agree that the albums sound way too similar, but I prefer meteora over hybrid theory. Especially whatever track eleven is with the Shinto flute, that's a fun song.

T-MaN
04-18-2005, 03:28 AM
I listen to it sometimes just because I feel like it. Personally, I actually like most of their songs. Some of their songs are bad, some of their songs are good, but that's just how all bands are. It depends on what type of music that turns you on that decides whether or not you will like a particular song.

cloud20747
04-18-2005, 03:30 AM
I like them so who cares

DestinyGundam
04-18-2005, 03:35 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with LP. They are actually my fav music group.

Raven Nox
04-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Well, they do have do songs, but I'm not really a fan of rap, which is why I never liked rap/rock songs. Rock is my favorite genre, and I hate it getting mixed with my least favorite one. The ones that used to play on the radio were ok, and I like some of their hits, but overall they just don't do it for me. I even get bored of the songs of theres I DO like after awhile. I just really wish they tried something new.

Sephex
04-18-2005, 04:39 AM
As said before, they are too formulatic. I just couldn't get into them. I gave them a fair shot, but I find their music to be incredibly annoying.

Side note: I noticed that Linkin' Park fans are bitching about that whole Jay-Z thing. I find it funny that they are knocking how rap is in Linkin' Park since they already rap to begin with. Morons.

T-MaN
04-18-2005, 04:41 AM
I actually liked the Jay-Z and Linkin Park songs. Don't know why LP fans would be mad at that.

Dingo Jellybean
04-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Side note: I noticed that Linkin' Park fans are bitching about that whole Jay-Z thing. I find it funny that they are knocking how rap is in Linkin' Park since they already rap to begin with. Morons.

Bingo. Most of the people who based LP for mashing with JZ was because of their displeasure of rap. The only good thing that came out of that mash-up was the Dirt Off Your Shoulder riff.

Anyways though, it was odd listening to LP rap some of JZ's songs. People think I'm an LP fan, but I never liked them. I mean their tours are one of the highest grossing tours in the US, but I don't like how you can just predict how their songs will sound before you even listen to them. But I might get the Mash-Up CD, only because I'm a JZ fan.

UltimaLimit
04-18-2005, 08:20 AM
I think part of the reason people hate the LP-JZ thing is because LP is rap/rock, wheras Jay-Z is just plain rap.

I think the other main reason is that some, like me, view LP as "selling out".

I am a former LP fan. I got bored with them a year or two ago, and while I didn't really know why, Hsu nailed it--too predictable. The one new direction they go (Jay-Z) is exactly the one I didn't want them to go in. :mad:

I'm also a former Limp Bizkit fan. Fred Durst didn't sell out, he just got too soft (which resulted in his newest album being 98% crap). He better pull a turn-around right quick if he wants any hope in hell of pulling out of his downward spiral, although personally I think it's too late.

Llanowar
04-18-2005, 08:47 AM
It was too late for Durst the INSTANT he remade behind blue eyes. Good god he took a song that was fine and thought he would ROCK IT OUT. What he did was make himself look like a pussy songwriter and completely out of new and rocking ideas. Sadly I have to agree with most of you Durst has "sold out" to keep from upsetting people and falling into disfavor with mainstream "artists" LP sold out too. Their first album had some variety, but in the end they found the most listened to songs and sounds in the cd and tried to remake the sounds with new lyrics for every track on all of their CD's produced after that. Sadly I am an old-school Metallica fan and am also appalled at the direction their last CD took. I mean they have taken their own sound and FORGOTTEN how to make it. This last CD was devoid of the great Metallica i have listened to all 20 years of my life. Feel free to weigh in on Metallica's fall off here as well since I am sure some of you feel strongly about it. Cant talk to 20 people without finding a Metallica Fan. Or at least not before their last album :(

Vyk
04-18-2005, 09:24 AM
I didn't really follow Metallica, but I did like them. I think the last good thing they did was the Sanfrancisco orchestra thing. But that was just a buncha re-makes. So it's been a really long time since they did anything new-ish that was good. Their single for MI2 was the beginning of the end for them. The last song I could really tolerate. But I've often compared Metallica and LP. I loved almost all the songs from Hybrid Theory. And Metallica's And Justice For All, and the Black album, a lot of songs on the CDs were a lot alike. Metallica found things that worked and abused them. So if you don't like LP for being formulaic and predictable then likely you should feel the same for Metallica. Yes, they were that way, but I think they at least repeated good sounds. As for Fred Durst, I've never liked him, or Limp Bizkit. Angst is one thing, but ... somehow he mixes "trying too hard" to be a hardass, with sounding like a whiney bitch. It really doesn't work. LP at least jammed when they were being angsty. And I might as well mention I hate the Jay-Z re-mixes. MUCH prefer the re-animation re-mixes. They felt like they were on the same wave but lower key. Jay-Z just took everything and shat on it. Not because it was rap, but how it was rapped. And honestly I don't think his voice fits the tunes and all. But this is all of course just my humble opinion. I'm no fan of any particular band. I just like certain songs from certain bands. Some bands capture my attention more than others. Nothing more.

Jack
04-18-2005, 09:39 AM
My sister is a huge fan. She listens to it all the bloody while. (Stupid Moomba 88 if you want to know)
The problem is that it's unbelivable angst, angst without reason. if Chester Bennington was raised really really terribly than I'd understand but he was a rich boy with no cares. Makes no sense.

Vyk
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I've often wondered about that. I think some of LP used to hang out online a lot or something. People release their emotions more when they're not inhibited by face-to-face contact. So you get a lot more angst online. Especially with early-to-mid teens. They musta caught wind of a lot of that and just put it to lyrics. I don't think they're trying to express their own feelings or experiences. I think they're trying to embody other people's troubles in song so they can feel it's expressed when they listen. Granted it backfires and hardly releases anything. The kids end up just listening to it over and over and wallowing in it and feeding off of it. But that's where I think they're coming from.

Polaris
04-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Two words - Jay-Z!

Llanowar
04-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Three words:

IS AN IDIOT

Polaris
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Who is an idiot?!

Project G
04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Nothing is wrong with Linkin Park they rock hard tasty abs washerboard style, glistening in the sun

starlet
04-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I heard they SUCK live. theyre ok..mediocre at best.

Nod
04-19-2005, 03:48 PM
LP, not really a fan to be honest. They had potential, but as far as i can see no progress has been made with developing new sounds and experimenting.

SP rule!

Destai
04-19-2005, 04:10 PM
I heard they SUCK live. theyre ok..mediocre at best.They were booed off of the stage at a Metallica concert.

PhoenixAsh
04-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't quite get the not experimenting or changing thing. Enth E Nd was totally different to In The End, and they were both good tracks in my opinion. Meteora was also far less angsty than Hybrid Theory.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'you're not poor and therefore can't have emotional problems' arguement.

PoIsOnCoNcEpTiOn
04-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Linikin park sucks plain and simple

TheAbominatrix
04-20-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't quite get the not experimenting or changing thing. Enth E Nd was totally different to In The End, and they were both good tracks in my opinion. Meteora was also far less angsty than Hybrid Theory.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'you're not poor and therefore can't have emotional problems' arguement.

I never stated that. I said I dont like listening to rich people bitch about their problems.

Charlotte
04-21-2005, 02:18 AM
I like Linkin Park. They have have good songs and I listen to them for fun. :D I like them and thats really all that matters to me anyway.