PDA

View Full Version : a good way to win arguments on messageboards

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Use words that you have no idea the meaning of. I used to do it all the time, i was once arguing about immigration with this guy. And i know nothing about it, so i made stuff up and eventually i said something about a common denominator and the guy gave up arguing. He said he couldt put up with anymore stupidity but he was really just beat.

So lets all do this sometimes if you are stuck.

Psychotic
04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't think that's a good way to win arguments at all. In fact, 9 out of 10 senescence eremites agree with me.

crashNUMBERS
04-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I was gonna hope for the best outta this thread but I don't think that'll work...

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
outt.

Good work :up:

Skogs
04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I find that being consistantly and unquestionably right is the best way to win arguments... :rolleyes2

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah but if i make up a word, and you dont know the meaning of it then i can shape that word into any word that i want. Wiping the floor with any other arguments

The Captain
04-18-2005, 07:22 PM
In my opinion, knowing what you're arguing about, but also being open minded and able to see what others are saying is the best way to gain anything through an argument, be it a victory, defeat or mutual understanding.

Take care all.

Maxico
04-18-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't think that's a good way to win arguments at all. In fact, 9 out of 10 senescence eremites agree with me.

Dude, the senescence eremites committie disbanded in the Boss Einstein Condensate refractatory verberance of 1998.

Psychotic
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM

Dude, the senescence eremites committie disbanded in the Boss Einstein Condensate refractatory verberance of 1998.Oh, here's another great way to win online arguments:

Yeah, well your FACE disbanded in the Boss Einstein Condensate refractatory verberance of 1998! :cool:

crashNUMBERS
04-18-2005, 07:26 PM
outt.

Good work :up:
I meant outta... *Edits*

Maxico
04-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Oh, here's another great way to win online arguments:

Yeah, well your FACE disbanded in the Boss Einstein Condensate refractatory verberance of 1998! :cool:

GODDAMMIT he's right.

Destai
04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
nice suggestion but what if I was to ask them to explain what they mean as I often do in arguments? If it sounds equally ridiculous Id probably know theyre screwing with me or Id take a personal victory in the fact that theyz ar stoopiders dan mmeeez

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh, here's another great way to win online arguments:

GODDAMMIT he's right.

Get a grasp of this, he's not right if you make up alot of cockamaney.

Rainecloud
04-18-2005, 07:33 PM
You win arguments by being right about everything, like a big smart arse.

:)

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:34 PM
It works especially well with intelligent people, because they dont have a good threshold for getting beat. They get annoyed and call you stupid.

boris no no
04-18-2005, 07:36 PM
i only ever talk about stuff i (think) i know about.
if someone started to splut rubbish i (and the others)_ would realise.
theres no way to win, just different opinions.

Vyk
04-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Honestly I have to say this is the most retarded advice I've heard. Sooner or later you're gonna get in an argument with someone really well learned and they're gonna know what words you're using and they'll school you on definitions, along with the wiping the floor with your argument. And if you start making up crap they're gonna call your bluff and you'll be in a really embarrassing situation.

gokufusionss1
04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I know everything.

gokufusionss1- recently discovered his love of big letters.

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Honestly I have to say this is the most retarded advice I've heard. Sooner or later you're gonna get in an argument with someone really well learned and they're gonna know what words you're using and they'll school you on definitions, along with the wiping the floor with your argument. And if you start making up crap they're gonna call your bluff and you'll be in a really embarrassing situation.

You're sprong.

gokufusionss1
04-18-2005, 07:50 PM
"sprong"- a wiseman of the middle east who trades salt.
Are you sure you want to call him that?

Old Manus
04-18-2005, 07:51 PM
98% of people say the best way to win an argument is to use statistics.

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Sure, he had different schooling to us. Everything is alien to them, it makes his argument look ridiculous.

98% of people say the best way to win an argument is to use statistics.

Especially out of date ones, which may prove your argument right even if you are wrong

Vyk
04-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Sure, he had different schooling to us. Everything is alien to them, it makes his argument look ridiculous

Um. I'm just a name on a message board. My cultural background, whatever it may be, is uknown, and therefor has absolutely no effect on my argument.

Especially out of date ones, which may prove your argument right even if you are wrong

Finally you've said something intelligent.

To win in an argument you have to at least know more about what you're talking about than whoever you're arguing with. And it also helps if your opinion is held by others, especially if they hold high respectability or are in some sort of seat of authority. It also really helps to be right. More advanced tips call for knowing your opponents argument in and out so you can shoot holes through it. Don't just concentrate on your own opinion.

gokufusionss1
04-18-2005, 08:09 PM
lol you are making this thread much more entertaining.

Sasquatch
04-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Use words that you have no idea the meaning of. I used to do it all the time, i was once arguing about immigration with this guy. And i know nothing about it, so i made stuff up and eventually i said something about a common denominator and the guy gave up arguing. He said he couldt put up with anymore stupidity but he was really just beat.

So lets all do this sometimes if you are stuck.

Hell, a lot of people here do that anyway.

However, the problem with that is that people that DO know what the hell they're talking about--as opposed to people like you, who try to fake it--will realize you're ignorant of the topic and simply ignore everything you say. Proving yourself to be too stupid to competantly debate and forcing the opponent to simply give up isn't a "win".

Harvest Moon
04-18-2005, 09:24 PM
I refuse to argue, if I find an opinion invalid I leave it at that. But if something someone says upsets me because they're talking out thier ass "For example, Ron Regan on MSNBC News" i'll just bitch them out and make them feel like crap till they go away.

Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics yo.
Even if you win you're still retarded.

Rasputen
04-18-2005, 09:27 PM
agreed with that, but then i decided to agree to disagree. Now i just disagree

Harvest Moon
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
agreed with that, but then i decided to agree to disagree. Now i just disagree
lol. We should team up, with your swatiska shurikens and my black magick we could take over the forum! >: D

Though people complain all too often how underpowerd the ninja and sorcerer class be.. >_>;

Old Manus
04-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Rasputen is banned. I am in mourning.

Erm, yeah. Though I'm never in a situation where I do not know what I'm talking about.

Harvest Moon
04-19-2005, 03:25 AM
I wonder why? He seemed cool enough. : (

udsuna
04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Goes to show how effective his argument method was, though.

Quina
04-19-2005, 04:23 AM
"But your honor, I swear I thought that stop sign was a wasteclover. Surely you can see the archdeficit in my refungle to golabidate it."

Meat Puppet
04-19-2005, 04:39 AM
Half the words I use I have no idea what they mean. I blame my parents. :(

darkchrono
04-19-2005, 08:20 AM
online arguments are really pretty pointless. Because 9.9 times out of 10 the people arguing think that they are completely right and everyone else is completely wrong. And therefore automatically assumes any opinion that contradicts there opinion is retarded.

Really, if you want to judge how good at debate you are make that judgement by debating with people in real life and not by debating people on some message board. Because the majority of the time people who argue on message boards don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about anyway. They just want to think they know what they are talking about. And it all just becomes an endless cycle of one person throwing out their opinion and not accepting the other person's opinion unless it agrees with theirs.

Some while ago we had a stretch where there were alot of problems rising up from alot of religious debates going on (me included in that mix)and every single one of them ended just like I stated above.

I havn't seen any real debating going on much lately though so maybe alot of other people decided the whole thing is pretty pointless as well.