PDA

View Full Version : tragic gaming story of doom! please help!(if you can)

mike without a hat
04-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Here is the tragic story of my demise:
So i havent been playing it for almost a month now(i never should have left it unattended for that long) because I had gotten to neo exdeath but wasnt strong enough to beat him so i was spending all my time leveling up my jobs and all that stuff. So after a while i got tired and bored so i decided to take a hiatus of sorts from the game cause i was about to die.
So here i am alittle before a month later, once again bored and i think to myself, "hey i should really get back and finish that game". So i sit down at the computer fire up the old zsnes emulator, load up ff5 and what to my suprise there is but one save of four measly characters at level 15 in world one, and nothing else.
At that very moment of realization that my brother had overwritten my file, i had accumulated such a great amount of fury that i could have killed the first person i saw or at least punched through the monitor screen with one mighty blow. But no!, i held it back and called down my brother.
I asked him, "what, have you done! you ignorant fool!" He replied, "you hadnt played it in a while, i thought you were finished"
I screamed back to him "EVEN SO! you dont just delete a whole game worths of work so you can start a new one, you can just save it in another save slot!"
Then he became sad and walked away in shame. So, my brother apparently doesnt understand the concept of taking gaming breaks :(
Now my question to you all
Is there a way to get a rom save file that is already like pretty much all the way through the game?
I dont want to play all the way through again but i will if i must. :(

rubah
04-19-2005, 10:44 PM
download them from somewhere. Or buy one from ebayxD

Did you ever back it up on your computer to cd or something? That's what I"m planning on doing, 'cause I managed to hit 'save to slot 4' instead of 'load slot four' in snes9x ;P But I'm pretty sure it was old enough that it's on cd somewhere. yey

mike without a hat
04-19-2005, 11:08 PM
no i havent backed it up onto a cd :(

omnitarian
04-20-2005, 12:34 AM
http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/archive/

Scroll down to find Final Fantasy 5 savestates, and then... use the instrustions that are at the top of the page.

mike without a hat
04-20-2005, 12:50 AM
thanks, this is a big help!

mike without a hat
04-20-2005, 02:35 AM
The message on the website says "Note: For ZSNES to recognize the downloaded ZST, make sure the matching ROM has the same filename as the .ZSTs. Example: If the ZSTs are named SMW.ZS? but your ROM is named MARIO.SMC, rename your ROM to SMW.SMC."

Now, my ff5 rom is a .smc and when i start the game up it saves the files with .SRM as a completely diff file thingey. The file i downloaded has Ff5ng.ZS8 and FF5E.FRM(had to go to properties to see the .ZS8 and .FRM, wasnt right in the name). Both of those files are extracted from the zip folder.
I tried doing the thing the site told me up there but i cant get it to work. What do i do?? :(
this is whats in my program files:

beema
04-20-2005, 06:55 AM
the real tragedy here is that I wasted all that time reading through your lengthy post when all you wanted was a savegame.

omnitarian
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
The files are in .zst format, so they're Zsnes savestates. Rename the file (in your case) FinalFantasy5.zs8 (the .frm isn't used for anything), load up Zsnes, and then use F3 and F4 to pick and load your savestate.

If all else fails, Zophar has a .srm archive too.

http://www.zophar.net/srm/

mike without a hat
04-20-2005, 08:26 PM
how do those work?
edit, nevermind, i figured it out