PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto!

MecaKane
04-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Ok, I've been hearing a lot of bunk about grand theft auto fans only playing it to enter in cheats and blow /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif up! Actually, I've only heard it from one guy, but he assures me that absolutely everyone besides myself who owns a GTA game just runs around entering cheats to blow stuff up. Which means that everyone I've ever talked to about it has been lying to me. :(
Hense this thread and poll! Now be honest, I'm not going to put anything in about cheats because if you were to go around just killing stuff without playing any missions you'd have to use cheats since there aren't that many weapons availible at the start of the game. And if you do play the missions maybe you suck and need to use the occasional cheat every now and then.

Psychotic
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
I couldn't do the first mission of GTA: San Andreas. You have to go to someone's house. That's all you need to do. But I just couldn't handle it! Way too intense for me! I had to cheat and get all the guns and the moneys and the guns helped me get to the house! I'M SORRY! I JUST HAD TO CHEAT!!!! :whimper:

MecaKane
04-19-2005, 10:35 PM
I couldn't do the first mission of GTA: San Andreas. You have to go to someone's house. That's all you need to do. But I just couldn't handle it! Way too intense for me! I had to cheat and get all the guns and the moneys and the guns helped me get to the house! I'M SORRY! I JUST HAD TO CHEAT!!!! :whimper:
True story: When I first put the game in my ps2 after getting it for christmas, after riding around on the bike a bit I saw a hooker and tried to beat her up, but she had a gun and killed me! >:O

Erdrick Holmes
04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
You know how I play the games? I use the discs to set my drinks on.

You obviously don't know about the US GTA fans. People who play the GTA games outside of Europe play the game with cheats and do random acts of violence wtihout dying or running out of ammo. Only about two people I know who play GTA games actually do missions. I'm very positive that the GTA series would not be so popular if the game never had cheats.

Agent Proto
04-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Many people don't use cheats. I know I don't... but then again, I don't bother playing GTA.

XxSephirothxX
04-20-2005, 12:09 AM
I play the game, and I never use the cheats. Don't even know them, and don't care for them. I think they're a lot of fun, and I do most of the missions, but going around and blowing stuff up can be entertaining as well. The charater-building system in San Andreas, as well as the vast world to explore, are very interesting. Also, getting a 2-3 star wanted level and then seeing how long you can survive in a car with the Cinematic Cam on is tons of fun.

RSL
04-20-2005, 12:11 AM
This is getting tiresome, Joel. Why are you so insistent on stereotyping people here? GTA is one of the top selling game franchises in existence right now. Surely you can't know that each and every last person plays only to shoot stuff and use cheats. This is just not the case.

And if it was the case? WHO CARES!?!?! If I want to buy Parappa the Rapper just to make Parappa say "kick" over and over and over on the first song, then guess what? I'm going to do just that! I spent my money, I'll do as I please. Thank you very much.

Psychotic
04-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Well, as far as the cheats go, there are some GREAT ones that add to the gameplay. Like there's a mode that gives everyone guns and want to shoot you. It's a great survival game...like a mini-game I guess. Plus there's ones that make bikes bunny hop 4368456458 feet into the air. It's all just adding to the long-life of the game.

edczxcvbnm
04-20-2005, 12:51 AM
I have 100% in almost 2 games. I got screwed in Vice City but 100% in GTA III. I do just pop the games in and run around blowing /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif up more than the actual missions...though I don't use cheat codes to do it because I find it to be more fun to walk out of the police station and start beating the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of people and see how far I can make it before dying or getting arrested again.

Then again after you get to 100% you really wouldn't need codes because so much is unlocked and free to you that you wouldn't need to enter the codes.

MecaKane
04-20-2005, 12:55 AM
You obviously don't know about the US GTA fans. People who play the GTA games outside of Europe play the game with cheats and do random acts of violence wtihout dying or running out of ammo. Only about two people I know who play GTA games actually do missions. I'm very positive that the GTA series would not be so popular if the game never had cheats.
I guess that makes sense, europeans must truely be better than americans in every aspect since it's even spilling over into how they play video games.
Oh well, I guess I should've added a continental option to the poll.

Meat Puppet
04-20-2005, 12:56 AM
hangthedj

edczxcvbnm
04-20-2005, 01:00 AM
And if it was the case? WHO CARES!?!?! If I want to buy Parappa the Rapper just to make Parappa say "kick" over and over and over on the first song, then guess what? I'm going to do just that! I spent my money, I'll do as I please. Thank you very much.

You can do that in Parappa the Rapper and go into freestyle mode if you are awesome enough.

Rase
04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
WHile I haven't played them very much, I must saw, one of the best things is the freedom. It's like, "Well you can do whatever you want, but if you want to advance the story, do this". It's nice to do a mission, than something mindless/random/strange, then repeat, rather then mission, mission, mission.

strawberryman
04-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I dislike these games quite a bit, but it makes up with how fun it is terrorizing the little game people for no good reason.

Dreddz
04-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Im not a big fan of the series but it is a good franchise. People like it and I have nothing against them. But the game is WAY over-hyped
There was no option to say I dont like the game but played them
But I have to admit that the original GTA games for PS1 I enjoyed alot
The new ones arent very good

m4tt
04-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I've played III and San Andreas all the way through. Once you do pretty much everything it's just fun to run around and blow stuff up. That's why I like San Andreas so much. Homie road trips, sky diving, base jumping, robbery missions, midnight raids of the military base. I get all my dark clothes and sneak around as best I can. It's so fun.

People who play the GTA games outside of Europe play the game with cheats and do random acts of violence wtihout dying or running out of ammo.Hi Joel, I live outside of Europe and omggg I don't do that! I've actually only used a cheat once in San Andreas just to see what it was like. Making my bike bunny hop 23237128321 feet into the air is hillarious.

Erdrick Holmes
04-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Don't ever call me that again... Matty!

Mercen-X
04-20-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm very positive that the GTA series would not be so popular if the game never had cheats.
lol Who the hell cares!! This isn't a popularity poll, it's a poll to see who uses those cheats.

I've completed both GTA3 and Vice City and the only reason I don't complete San Andreas (though I've completed everything else) is because I can't stand the rioting missions!

In GTA3 & Vice City, I may've sparingly used cheats when I was having a bad day (in life, dufus), and I admit, my cousin David only plays to kill, kill, kill and blow stuff up . . . and he uses these codes like his real life depended on it.
I only used one cheat in San Andreas because I like to make my car drive over water. I was warned that the cheat would be on my permanent record so I reloaded my game and haven't used a cheat since. Sure, every now and then, I like to blow stuff up (with the right camera angle, it looks almost better than a movie), but actually, my favorite pasttimes on GTA are driving the fastest cars at their top speeds while still trying to maintain control and avoid hitting buildings, cars, pedestrians, and other street obstacles like lamps and signs.
In GTA:SA, I like the lowrider competition, I'm the best there is! I don't play the traditional way. During all the gaps, I press in R3 to make my car bounce or L3 to switch the hydraulics up.
I also like to take a bicycle of some sort onto that skyscraper in Los Santos. I then charge at the side of the roof in such a way, that when I bunny hop, I end up spinning wildly out of control. You can get a degree turn of up 2000 or so. I think I may've gone higher because that building is HUGE! I also like to see how many flips I can do without crashing to the ground.

MecaKane
04-20-2005, 09:30 PM
I like how Joel posts in the thread to spam at Matt, but not to counter anyone's arguments/the fact that it's 10 to 1 for people who play the missions.

Is there anything you can get out of doing army base raids, or is that just for steathy killing people fun? :eek:

Raistlin
04-20-2005, 09:40 PM
I do both a pretty equal amount. I prefer to do the missions and such, but occasionally I'll just get the urge to go wreck havoc every once-in-a-while. I don't use cheats, though, 'cause that would make it much more boring. It's fun to get yourself in a tight alley and see how many cops you can kill before you're finally shot down. Or see how long you can survive with just your fists, or just a bat, or just a katana, or just molotov cocktails.

Flamethrower
04-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, I agree that it is only popular because of the cheats, because it is CLEARLY the only game in the history of existence to contain cheat codes. :rolleyes2

Grand Theft Auto rules, whether you're going doing the missions (which I enjoy the most) or just going around town doing random stuff. Like Rase said, the amount of personal freedom in the games are incredible.

m4tt
04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Is there anything you can get out of doing army base raids, or is that just for steathy killing people fun? :eek:

I just do it for fun. And it's not really stealthy I guess since you get a 6 star (or was it 5?) wanted level the second you touch the army base fence.

One idea I got from reading the gamefaq forums a while ago was to stalk people. Just pick a random person and follow them around. I follwed this guy on a motorcycle from Las Venturas to Los Santos and then to San Fierro where he got off and talked to a few people. It was a interesting way to kill about an hour. :p

Psychotic
04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
One idea I got from reading the gamefaq forums a while ago was to stalk people. Just pick a random person and follow them around. I follwed this guy on a motorcycle from Las Venturas to Los Santos and then to San Fierro where he got off and talked to a few people. It was a interesting way to kill about an hour. :pYes, I read that thread too. I stalked one guy through Los Santos (I stood on top of his car) and the highlight was when he got out to buy some drugs. Then I followed him home and stabbed him, bless him.

It's just a perfect example of why GTA: San Andreas is one of the best games ever. There's so many different things you can do it's insane. One game I'll be a diver, finding high places to jump off from into water, and the next game I'll get a load of homies, run across a busy road and play Frogger.

I don't think any game offers that kind of diversity.

Shoden
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Vice City was my favourite game

the missions were fun and i loved robbing every shop and buying top of the range weapons or killing ppl with a katana

Sephex
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
I have beat every main mission and most of the side missions for the big three on PS2. I managed to get a 100% in Vice City.

Shoden
04-20-2005, 10:49 PM
i finished GTA 3 and VC im stuck on the racing mission on SA called "farewell my love"

i suck at racing games and no cheats work to make it easier

MecaKane
04-20-2005, 10:49 PM
It's fun to get yourself in a tight alley and see how many cops you can kill before you're finally shot down. Or see how long you can survive with just your fists, or just a bat, or just a katana, or just molotov cocktails.

Or see how many cops out of the unlimited supply you can kill with a shotgun in one of the HQs.
Hint: It's a LOT.

Shoden
04-20-2005, 10:53 PM
its funny on SA where you disabke the wanted level cheats and shoot every copper ya see

its better when you have 3 star+ wanted levels and unlimited health its fun your like

"catch me if you can you mofo cops no more donuts for you"

Zante
04-21-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm mostly doing missions (Learning to fly is a pain :mad: ), but sometimes when I'm boored I just try doing silly stuff, like seeing how much cars I can blow up at once etc...

Mercen-X
04-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I love flying! In the first two PS2 games, you could only fly a short time. That's one of the things that makes SA even better.

Yes, I read that thread too. I stalked one guy through Los Santos (I stood on top of his car) and the highlight was when he got out to buy some drugs. Then I followed him home and stabbed him, bless him.
There was a couple holding hands, I killed the guy and the girl says "Better you than me." Then I killed the girl and they lay side by side. I took a picture of it so I could show my cousin, David, and tell him the story.

In my opinion, the best part of San Andreas is the car mods. I love designing my own lowrider or racer or just tricking out a V.
Hood vents, roof scoops, spoilers, side skirts, bullbars, fog lights, rims, paint jobs (and changing the hue of the paint jobs by the second color you pick), hydraulics, Nitro, custom bumpers, (i don't know if I named'em all but I know I love'em all), I actually would've liked to see more of that.

m4tt
04-22-2005, 10:51 PM
There was a couple holding hands, I killed the guy and the girl says "Better you than me." Then I killed the girl and they lay side by side. I took a picture of it so I could show my cousin, David, and tell him the story.Haha, I've taken so many pictures in san andreas. I've devoted an entire memory card just to san andreas so I could hold them all. I documented my stalkings once, I took an awesome picture when I ran this couple off the road and flipped their car. In the picture the driver is running towards me as the car is ready to blow up. I think I took a picture of it with my digi cam... ahh I did:

http://www.kingd0rk.com/gta/crash.gif
:D

Hartigan
04-27-2005, 01:46 AM
There was a couple holding hands, I killed the guy and the girl says "Better you than me." Then I killed the girl and they lay side by side. I took a picture of it so I could show my cousin, David, and tell him the story.Haha, I've taken so many pictures in san andreas. I've devoted an entire memory card just to san andreas so I could hold them all. I documented my stalkings once, I took an awesome picture when I ran this couple off the road and flipped their car. In the picture the driver is running towards me as the car is ready to blow up. I think I took a picture of it with my digi cam... ahh I did:

http://www.kingd0rk.com/gta/crash.gif
:D

that still creeps me the hell out, you freak

Mercen-X
04-28-2005, 04:04 AM
:cool:

Mercen-X
04-28-2005, 04:06 AM