PDA

View Full Version : What is This Game?

18Darkdragon
04-20-2005, 02:32 AM
I heard somethings on some of these thread and other place, but I still dont know what this games about. Is it a spin off of the orignal FF VII or is it a sequal? Can someone fill me in with the facts?

Raven Nox
04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
All they say is that it's about Vincent, so it's probably a spin-off, certainly doesn't look like a sequal to me really.

Masamune·1600
04-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus is part of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, a concept meant to explore and expand on the world of FFVII. DC takes place one year after Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, the movie sequel to the original game that itself takes place two years after VII. Other titles in the Compilation are Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (a game on cellular, currently available only in Japan) and Crisis Core-Final Fantasy VII (an action RPG for the PSP, currently scheduled to be released sometime in 2006).

Dirge of Cerberus seems to be a massive departure from the original FFVII; the main character is not Cloud, but rather the enigmatic former Turk Vincent Valentine. While the genre is technically unknown at this point, many people believe it to be a third-person shooter, and incorporate a style similar to the Devil May Cry video games. It will be released for the PlayStation 2.

Not much is known about the plot of DC at this point. It seems a group known as the Deep Ground Soldiers, or DG Soldiers, is raiding local towns. These Deep Ground Soldiers were apparently driven underground by Meteor, or something to that effect. Vincent is connected with these events in some way, although details are extremely limited. The DG Soldiers seem likely to be Vincent's main antagonists at this point, although I personally wouldn't be surprised if something more complex were to develop (that's just speculation on my part, though).

Screens have been released showing both Cait Sith (without the giant moogle, interestingly) and apparently Reeve, neither of whom appears in Advent Children. I could be wrong on this score, however, since I've been avoiding spoilers regarding AC, and have only limited knowledge regarding the movie. It has been noted, in any case, that Vincent will be joined by other FFVII characters in DC, but whether that extends beyond Cait Sith/Reeve (who controlled Cait Sith in the original game), and what roles any and all characters may have, remains to be seen.

A number of screenshots, as well as a trailer, have been released. Two screens, one showing a being that looks, for lack of better words, like a Guado on steroids, and another, depicting a girl hooked up to some sort of equipment, have garnered particular attention. To the best of my knowledge, this pretty much sums up everything significant that is currently known about Dirge of Cerberus.

18Darkdragon
04-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Ok, I still have a few questions,

1. Were did you get all this information from and could you provide a site or picture to prove this?
2. How many spin offs of the Original FFVII are there and what are the names of all them if you know?
3. Don't u think there milking this game a little too much, even though it was a great game to start out with?
4. Correct me if I am wroung, This game takes place 3 years after the orginal FFVII.

Masamune·1600
04-20-2005, 11:24 PM
1. This information has been all over the Internet for months. You can find much of the information here (http://ff7citadel.com/past-updates/archive-092004.shtml), although I would recommend simply entering 'Dirge of Cerberus' into a search engine if you want additional verification.

2. The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII presently includes four titles. These are Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (a movie), Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (a game on cellular only released in Japan at this point), Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus (the game in question here, described in my previous post), and Crisis Core-Final Fantasy VII (an action RPG for the PSP). Among these four titles, only Before Crisis has been released at this point, and only in Japan. Further, Before Crisis is being released in a series of chapters. The most recent installation, to the best of my knowledge, was Chapter 10.

Much has been made of the alphabetical nature of the Compilation titles; you may note that they can (and in this post will after this point) be abbreviated as AC, BC, CC, and DC. In addition, the US will be getting Final Fantasy VII: Snowboarding on phones here. This is not actually part of the Compilation; really, it's essentially the same as the snowbaording in the original FFVII. I feel it's meant to placate us, given that BC is exclusive to Japan right now. :(

3. Let me state right here at the outset that Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game ever. Having said that, I'm excited about the prospect of further titles. I'll admit I'm nervous that the Compilation may not shine as brightly as the original game, but I'm hopeful for incredible material. Until such time as I actually have AC, BC, CC, and DC, I'll reserve my ultimate judgment. In any case, SE is a company, and it makes any and all games for the purpose of making money. I'm not surprised by the move, but if I enjoy the Compilation, I'll be very glad they made this decision.

4. DC takes place one year after AC, which takes place two years after FFVII. So, yes, DC is set three years after the original game.

18Darkdragon
04-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Whoa u really know ur stuff. Its also kind of weird the A-DC thing. When is that FF AC coming out and if it already out have u seen it?

Masamune·1600
04-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children has not yet been released yet. The release has actually been pushed back several times; initially, I believe it was scheduled for summer 2004. Right now, to the best of my knowledge, a specific release date is not available. I could be wrong on this score, but if not, I expect SE to make an announcement soon.

I honestly can't tell you all that much regarding the plot. I've been following the progress of AC, of course, but I've stayed away from story-related spoilers, to better enjoy the movie when I actually see it. For example, I don't know who the wheelchair man is (although I have suspicions). A lot of spoiler information is available, concerning the wheelchair man, Geostigma, etc., and a good place to look for it would probably be right here at EoFF, in the Advent Children forum. I've also found that adventchildren.net is an excellent AC source, and I understand that SE has unveiled an official AC English site (although I believe there is little content available on it right now).

18Darkdragon
04-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Ok thanks for the information, I will have to check out this site for myself.

Raven Nox
04-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Haha, he typed, I'm lazy XD I knew all that, but I'm lazy, sorry. But seriously, not much is own really, there isn't much point in looking at info right now, it only makes you wanna find out more and drives you crazy when they don't have any more, I do it to myself all the time, not fun. masamune, I really wish I could type things like that o.O

Shoeberto
04-23-2005, 05:57 PM
DoC is supposed to be a shooter, isn't it?

Masamune·1600
04-23-2005, 10:44 PM
While the genre is technically unknown at this point, many people believe it to be a third-person shooter, and incorporate a style similar to the Devil May Cry video games.

Shoeberto
04-23-2005, 11:39 PM
That's what I get for not actually reading the thread.

YukiKiro
04-24-2005, 12:33 AM
its a third person shooter with a camera resembling that of socom and mercinaries. i've seen pictures for it in a magazine before.

Croyles
04-24-2005, 08:07 PM
no site knows the universal truth about this game. some sites say it takes place 3 years after ff7 some say 1 year, and so on and so on :blahblah:

Masamune·1600
04-24-2005, 08:13 PM
no site knows the universal truth about this game. some sites say it takes place 3 years after ff7 some say 1 year, and so on and so on

No, it's a known fact that the game takes place one year after FFVII: Advent Children. Since AC takes place two years after the original game, Dirge of Cerberus necessarily takes place roughly three years after the events of Final Fantasy VII. Those sites probably confused the original game with AC.

As to the question of genre, it is still technically unknown. While it seems very, very likely that it will be a third-person shooter, the only official word on the subject of genre is that it may come as a surprise to fans. Thus, until we receive more information, any pronouncement regarding the genre is supposition.

Squall of SeeD
04-25-2005, 01:43 AM
no site knows the universal truth about this game. some sites say it takes place 3 years after ff7 some say 1 year, and so on and so on :blahblah:

The official trailer showed Meteor bearing down on Midgar followed by a caption that read as "Three years later..." so this game definitely takes place one year after Advent Children.