PDA

View Full Version : The Office

Dingo Jellybean
04-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Anyone seen this show? It's on 9:30PM Tuesdays on NBC.

It hits a lot of racial subjects, so it might not be for everyone...but I think it's so damn hilarious.

This has got to be the best show no one talks about. So yeah, discuss.

eestlinc
04-20-2005, 03:10 AM
i saw it last week and couldn't quite figure out what was going on, but it was funny.

Cuchulainn
04-20-2005, 03:26 AM
It's great, the British show? with Ricky Gervais? Won a lot of awards here. They're not making any more though, 2 series and 2 Christmas Specials.

eestlinc
04-20-2005, 03:27 AM
I think it's a new US version.

Miriel
04-20-2005, 03:42 AM
I haven't seen the U.S. version, but I loved the British show.

Apparently, the U.S. version is on the fence between renewal and cancellation. It'd be a shame if it gets canceled before it has a chance to find an audience.

Cuchulainn
04-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Why on earth did they make a US version? They do that all the time with British comedies & it never works. British humour is best kept British & vise versa. The original British version was probably too subtle for the American audience.

Miriel
04-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Why on earth did they make a US version? They do that all the time with British comedies & it never works. British humour is best kept British & vise versa. The original British version was probably too subtle for the American audience.
I'm American. I got the humor just fine thankyouverymuch.

Cuchulainn
04-20-2005, 03:59 AM
I'm American. I got the humor just fine thankyouverymuch.

That's fantastic Miriel :)

Dingo Jellybean
04-20-2005, 04:04 AM

I'm not sure if you get it or not.

I don't think you've seen the American version, because you would know that this show pushes the envelope no matter what country it's in. Especially in a country like the US (which is much more diverse than Britain), a comedy like this can get a lot of negative feedback. However, most of the minority critics found the show to be very hilarious.

I'm not sure what you mean by "British humour", but when a show moves to another country, it usually adapts to the culture in that country. Look at what happened to Banzai, Japanese humor in the US was quickly flattened. No one in the US found it funny, so it was axed in a matter of weeks.

I'm not sure if "The Office" is actually a show from Britain or not, just be aware that there can be two different shows with the same name. Just because 2 boys are named John doesn't mean they're the same person.

Cuchulainn
04-20-2005, 04:16 AM
If it's a spoof reality TV show showing office life, it's an American version of British show.

Dingo Jellybean
04-20-2005, 04:29 AM
If it's a spoof reality TV show showing office life, it's an American version of British show.

Yes, but the version in the US is NOT a reality show. It's a comedy show. But you still don't know if it actually is an American version of the show, and neither do I. Heck, you just asked if this was an American version of the show. I can't confirm that it is, so maybe you're thinking of the wrong show.

Miriel
04-20-2005, 05:12 AM
The British show wasn't a reality TV show either, it was a comedy that was shot in a documentary-style to give the illusion of reality.

The American show The Office IS based off the British show. And from what I understand, the show is shot in the same "spoof reality" style.

Meat Puppet
04-20-2005, 05:23 AM
I haven't seen the U.S. version, but some of my childhood heroes come from the British one.

Cuchulainn
04-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Yes, but the version in the US is NOT a reality show. It's a comedy show. But you still don't know if it actually is an American version of the show, and neither do I. Heck, you just asked if this was an American version of the show. I can't confirm that it is, so maybe you're thinking of the wrong show.

Read what I say properly before posting please, thnx.

Skogs
04-20-2005, 10:02 AM
The British version (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice)
The American version. (http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Office/)

Same show, just made more relevant for US audiences.

Psychotic
04-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Look at what happened to Banzai, Japanese humor in the US was quickly flattened. No one in the US found it funny, so it was axed in a matter of weeks....wasn't Banzai a spoof of Japanese humour? Unless America has a different version to the show that Britain got.

Everybody in Britain was obsessed with the British version of the Office, I just didn't find it funny. Hey wow, that guy's an arrogant twat! Like I don't see enough of those every day! However, the guy who wrote it (Well, I THINK he wrote it) Ricky Gervais is a funny man outside of the Office, his stand-up stuff was hilarious.

I obviously haven't seen the American version but I would probably find it less funny than I found the British one because there's undoubtedly American references in it that I just wouldn't get.

Doc Sark
04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Ricky Gervais has been involved with the writing on the creative side of the American show as well. It's good to see a British comedy writer doing so well in the States. You don't get more culturally diverse than Slough, a great setting for a great show. I'd like to see the American version though, I would like to see how Ricky Gervais adapted his show for an American audience.

jrgen
04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
I haven't seen the US version, but the british version was awesome.

Drunken Derek
04-20-2005, 02:50 PM
It obviously wont be the same without gervais he made that show.

DMKA
04-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Actually Monty Python and Benny Hill have been extremely popular in the United States, so I don't see where you get the idea that Americans won't get comedy simply because it comes from Britain.

I haven't seen it though...eh, doesn't look too interesting.

Heath
04-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Everybody in Britain was obsessed with the British version of the Office, I just didn't find it funny. Hey wow, that guy's an arrogant twat! Like I don't see enough of those every day! However, the guy who wrote it (Well, I THINK he wrote it) Ricky Gervais is a funny man outside of the Office, his stand-up stuff was hilarious.

Really? I found The Office funnier than his stand-up stuff, though some parts of Animals and Politics are great. I've seen funnier stand-up recently, such as Bill Bailey's Part Troll and, though quite old now, Peter Kay's Live at the Bolton Albert Halls.

I generally don't like comedies being remade, and as a rule I prefer British stuff to American. I'm part of a small majority of people who doesn't like Friends, apparently. Funniest American comedy I've seen (other than The Simpsons and Futurama) was Police Squad! which got cancelled after 6 episodes. I rate Police Squad! more highly than Dad's Army and I love that show.

Burtsplurt
04-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I loved the British version. It managed to capture so many things perfectly. I think they'll put the American one on over here eventually (probably at 1 in the morning, but whatever), so it'll be interested to compare them.

I'm not a great fan of most American comedies, but hopefully this one will be a cut above.

Old Manus
04-24-2005, 09:07 PM
The Office is over. A sad time for all in Britain.

Yugo
04-24-2005, 10:13 PM
I watched it once and it confused the crap out of me. Oh well, guess it is meant for smart people :)

sephiroth JR
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
anyone seen ricky gervais in Bo-selecta...proper Bo

TheAbominatrix
04-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I really liked what I've seen of the British version, and I really like the American version as well. It's very funny, but in it's own way which I dont think will catch on with the great majority of Americans. I really hope it does though, because it cracks me up.

gokufusionss1
04-24-2005, 11:18 PM
why remake the office for americans, they've got arrested development, curb you enthusiasm, seinfield. Lets face it in the UK for every "the office" and "peep show" we get 200 episodes of "my family" and frank skinners masterpeice :rolleyes2 "shane"

Jack
04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
They re-made it because tey wanted MONEY.

And what's all this fuss about "The Office" when they really should do "Peep Show" which is a far funnier show.