PDA

View Full Version : Thirteen

theundeadhero
04-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I just watched this movie. I remember when it was first out there was a thread here about how controvercial is was.

You mean to tell me thats not really... normal? Was it so controversial because it was true or because it was such an extreme case? To me it was shocking how real it was. Maybe cause as a teenager I was involved in the fast past world of drinking and drugs and being smurfed up, but the people I knew we're just the same.

Destai
04-20-2005, 06:48 PM
I loved the movie. Everyhting about it. Everything was done and portrayed perfectly. I know plenty of people who the characters reflected and recently Ive met people who I knew from my primary school (school from ages 4-12 or so) who went to different secondary schools. They left as innocent angel faced girls and now less than two years later plenty of them have smoked a wide variety of substances, drink on a regular basis. And some of them not long turned 14 have willingly slept around with there early twenties boyfriends. Wether its controversial because it actually happens or because its simply not nice to watch I dont know.

Miriel
04-20-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't actually remember much controversy surrounding the film. I do know that it got great reviews and it was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival. A phenomenal achievement for a movie that was co-written by a 13-year-old.

I enjoyed it. I thought Evan Rachel Wood was superb in her role.

I think the movie realistically portrayed the lives of 2 girls who seriously got messed up. I would think that it'd be frightening for a parent to watch this movie and realize that this kind of stuff isn't completely out of the norm for many teenagers.

gokufusionss1
04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
At 13 all i ever did was play football, watch TV and hug my mother.