PDA

View Full Version : Job/Server Suggestions?

strawberryman
04-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Okay. First and formost, I have yet to play FFXI.
I've only seen one of my friends play it, and I only recently decided to buy it. I'm not too worried about being in the same server as him, but I suppose it would give me some common ground to stand upon.

Nonetheless, I would possibly like to know a bit about what all the different servers are like, as to maybe request one of these 'world passes'.

On to the job part. i plan to be a Dark Knight, as from what i've heard they're quite the damage dealers. What job should I take up first as to act as my support job? I have heard Drk/War works pretty well, but that's just second-hand information, so i'd like to possibly have some other opinions.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I hope to see a few of you when I start.

Ouch!
04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
WAR/DRK works horribly. DRK and PLD both make horrible subs because their magical side is completely debunked by dropping an already relatively low magic pool. I suppose RDM/DRK or RDM/PLD would pass, but I don't suggest it. But you want to be a damage dealer anyways, so that's not important.

DRK/WAR, however, works well. But you have to unlock DRK before you can be one, so you'll have to get to L30 with that. I suggest you take WAR to L30 with a MNK sub then unlock DRK and go DRK/WAR to L60. After L60 most choose to go DRK/THF because with the brute force with the WAR sub it becomes difficult to balance hate.

If you want to be a damage dealer know that there are other options. There's always SAM, DRG, RNG, and MNK as the heavy melee damage dealers. There are a lot of horrible DRKs, so they have a bad reputation and it can make it hard to get a problem. It has to do with the fact that there's a bunch of complete and total newbs who want to be some badarse guy who can rip through anything so they choose DRK because it's so cool and evil.

As far as servers go, I believe Midgardsormr has the largest EoFF population. There's those of us from the Red Lotus (Omecle, Lionx, and myself) and Roogle as well to name a few. You're welcome to join us, but you might want to join your friend if only because you know him well.

That's all I've got to say on the matter. ^_^

strawberryman
04-20-2005, 10:58 PM
WAR/DRK works horribly.
Sorry, wrong way around. *Edits*

It has to do with the fact that there's a bunch of complete and total newbs who want to be some badarse guy who can rip through anything so they choose DRK because it's so cool and evil.
Dark Knight Does happen to be my favorite FF class ever, but I was more focused on the possible Damage I could do, without being a Ranger (Again, i've heard they hit pretty hard) and having to buy all of the ammo necessary for the job. I was also thinking about being a Bard, but that's probably not going to happen. I'm more the aggresive type.

Misfit
04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
BLM > RNG > DRK (etc) for damage. ^__^

DRK is fun, but like Zaphier said, we got a bad rep. ; ; AND IT TAKES FOREVER TO GET A PARTY GOSH. Anyways, it's fun.

Oh, and you can be multiple jobs. ^_^ Like me~ I swear I level everything 'cause I'm not satisified with one job. :( But my main is DRK 'cause we're sexy.

Anyways, Pandemonium has me and Miriel in it. And we're "crazy cool". 8-) But uh, yeah...

(ninja is fun and hume boy ninjas are incredibly sexy) ^_^
(just don't pick elvaan)

strawberryman
04-20-2005, 11:18 PM
BLM > RNG > DRK (etc) for damage. ^__^
I might be a Tarutaru BLM, but It was just a thought.

(just don't pick elvaan)
It's either Elvaan or Tarutaru. I'm not quite sure yet.

Misfit
04-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Tarutaru~

Ouch!
04-21-2005, 03:13 AM
I've played as both Elvaan and Tarutaru. As Elvaan I chose the large size so I was the tallest possible. As Tarutaru I chose the small size so I was the shortest possible.

Tarutaru > Elvaan

That is all.

strawberryman
04-21-2005, 03:35 AM
I thank all of you for your help. :)
I've looked around the playonline site a little bit, and it seems cool enough. I probably won't know until I play it, though. Which should be hopefully soon.
The job part is solved somewhat, but i'm still curious about what each server is like. I'm going to try and avoid Cait Sith in any ways possible. ;)

Lionx
04-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Haha Cait Sith XD

I think the problem with "n00bs" flocking over to the DRK job is not only because it looks badass(it does frankly), but also because its one of the cheaper jobs that doesnt require you to spend a whole ton of money to do big digit numbers.

However just remember damage numbers although nice looking, are not what i look for primarily in a DRK. The DRK must have properly trained Dark Magic able to enfeeble the monster by Absorb spells effectively enough(or as much as possible anyway), and they must manage their MP well enough so that the RDM or BRD doesnt have to refresh you all the time. Because Stun is essential, if a monster is readying a super special attack Stun WILL save the day by stopping the attack and it will save MP, downtime, and alot of headache(espcially vs Undead AoE skele stuff). So if you dont manage your MP well, you arent going to be a very effective DRK. Many DRKs either waste their MP too quick, or they dont use it at all (Big no no), or they would not Aspir on magic mobs like Crabs and Beetles to help themselves out, nor Drain when hurt. MP management and efficientcy seems to be something very few DRKs can master.

Also Acc is an issue. Not because DRKs suck at hitting, but because of the high delay of your swings. Should you miss more than twice its going to suck and be embarressing. Not to mention mess up Skillchain if your partner gains it faster than you. So at the minimum, i say at low levels load up on DEX rings, then get a Verner Ring and a Life Belt to help you out. Snipers and Harbuerk are for rich people only and despite what people say it is not necessary to trade out your AF for it if you cannot afford it(although it does make PT invites higher because of exceptional gear). With the new WAR/DRK/PLD JSE that is out from the recent patch, i should say there is more alternatives for you to choose. Also try to level up both Scythe and GSword, i know its hard but it really helps Skillchains later on. Remember you dont do impressive damage at first, but then it gets crazy as you get higher and higher, and excel the most at 66 ^^.

I reside in Midgard like Zaphier said up there, i hope this helped you out.

Roogle
04-21-2005, 10:25 AM
On the server issue: if you want to be with the girls, go to Pandemonium; if you want to be with the guys, go to Midgardsormr.

There are also some people stranded on Titan and Asura...! The choice of server you choose is an important one, as it will affect all the people you meet or do not meet in the world of Vana'diel, and can ultimately decide your fate as a player and as a person. It's a little creepy to think about, so just go with your instincts.

Ouch!
04-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I also think Bleys is on Alexander, but I could be mistaken. But who'd want to play with that grouch anyways? =P

Lionx
04-22-2005, 12:18 AM
I rather have a hot iron rod shoved up my ass than be there ;)

Misfit
04-22-2005, 01:28 AM
I went there... Bleys PLed me ^_^

THEN HE HAD SEX WITH SOME SHEEP.
(I'm serious, I have the screenshot)

strawberryman
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
I went there... Bleys PLed me ^_^

THEN HE HAD SEX WITH SOME SHEEP.
(I'm serious, I have the screenshot)
This should be amusing.

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 05:00 AM
You could go to Levithain... I'm the only one there... it's lonely... *sniff* I need friends... but then I'm a loner in real life, so why does this bother me...Maybe 'cause the game sucks alone o.o I kinda wanna be on Pandemonium though... grr... (yeah, I'm lonely XD)

strawberryman
04-22-2005, 05:12 AM
You could go to Levithain... I'm the only one there... it's lonely... *sniff* I need friends... but then I'm a loner in real life, so why does this bother me...Maybe 'cause the game sucks alone o.o I kinda wanna be on Pandemonium though... grr... (yeah, I'm lonely XD)
I just recently got a world pass code for Midgard, luckily. :)
Hopefully I'll get on before it expires. Still... 161 hours left. That's... about 6 days. If I get in midgard, I promise i'll give you a worldpass, okay? ;)

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 05:27 AM
Well... I don't really want that world but ok, I won't be lonely then... but then I'll have two characters... I don't wanna delete the one I have because I have made one good friend on there that I don't always see... but ok, 2 servers is alright with me. thanks! n.n

Lionx
04-22-2005, 05:44 AM
If you start around Windurst or wherever you can look us up ;) doesnt matter where just Windurst is easier @_@

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 05:51 AM
I always start at Windurst, you can I talk to you guys? What are your names?

strawberryman
04-22-2005, 05:53 AM
If you start around Windurst or wherever you can look us up ;) doesnt matter where just Windurst is easier @_@
I was planning to anyway. Bastok and San'doria just don't sound like anywhere i'd want to live.

Lionx
04-22-2005, 06:00 AM
I might or might not log on to midgard today but my name is Lionx and Leonine...i am sure theres some people like Zaphier or others that will be able to help you if i am not on. ^^

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 06:03 AM
n.n Yay I get to talk to people! I'm happy, can't wait to get on midgard now, lol

strawberryman
04-22-2005, 06:19 AM
n.n Yay I get to talk to people! I'm happy, can't wait to get on midgard now, lol
Well...

Midgardsormr has the largest EoFF population
I figured that would contribute to that fact.

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Well... that means you have alot of people to talk to I guess... lol, still wanna try Pandemonium though... I could have 3 characters... what I'm I gonna do with 3 characters?

strawberryman
04-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Well... that means you have alot of people to talk to I guess... lol, still wanna try Pandemonium though... I could have 3 characters... what I'm I gonna do with 3 characters?
I've heard Misfit trains goblins to kill.
She plays in Pandemonium.

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 06:36 AM
lol, yeah Misfit sounded awesome, that's one of the reasons why I wanna go...

abrojtm
04-22-2005, 06:39 AM
I used to be on Pandemonium :(

Miriel
04-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Whichever server you choose, I can guarantee you that there's going to be a bunch of perverted people doing and saying very perverted things. :)

On Asura you have Mikztsu, a Taru who likes to wax himself and molest dead bodies. Alexander has Bleys, who apparently likes to have sex with sheep. And on Pandemonium...well you have Misfit.

It's madness all around.

Raven Nox
04-22-2005, 06:50 AM
XD Which is why I wanna go to those places, Levithain doesn't have them! Need... sick... humor!

strawberryman
04-22-2005, 06:52 AM
On Asura you have Mikztsu, a Taru who likes to wax himself and molest dead bodies. Alexander has Bleys, who apparently likes to have sex with sheep. And on Pandemonium...well you have Misfit.
This intrigues me.
In a very sickening way, but it's funny nonetheless.

Misfit
04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
lol, yeah Misfit sounded awesome, that's one of the reasons why I wanna go...
I don't kill people, and I am awesome. ;-)

If you want to come on Pandy too, then I'll get you a worldpass.

Raven Nox
04-23-2005, 02:56 AM
ok, sure.

Lich3636
04-26-2005, 05:06 PM
*sigh* what has happened to the noble Dark knights noobs seem to flock to them because they look cool (sam dosent have as much a problem because its alot harder than Drk to get) i dislike Drks i have only met a few ppl who are actually good as drk most of the time i party with one that dosent even use there spells and just use brute force (missing half the time i might add) if you choose Drk plz subb thf so you can at least hit the enemys I have tryed the Drk job and didnt realy like it there accuracy sux and they cant take hits to the few ppl who are good useing the Drk I salute you :thumb: to those of you who suck im gunna do this to you :trout: and now im off to go :beer: then im gunna go :barf:. and yes im haveing fun with the smilies :hyper:

Ouch!
04-26-2005, 06:10 PM
The accuracy increase when subbing THF is minimal at best. The extra DEX might help a bit but since DEX:Acc. is supposed to be a curve ratio, each extra point of DEX is worth less and less accuracy. What you really need to do is just stock up on acc.+ equips.

You're right though, a lot of DRKs suck because they're newbs who want to be cool. I said that in my initial post. I have noticed that there is the same problem with most damage dealers, particularly DRK, DRG, and some SAMs as well. Then again, a majority of the players on FFXI don't know what they're doing and it's not really just these jobs, there's just a lot more boneheads playing damage dealers than anything else.

Lionx
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Be MNK, most of the time it just brawling xD

Quistis79
04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Yes, be monk, we rock. ^^ Monk is so much fun, you boost and run to face the mob and proceed to smack the crap out of it. And we can take hits coz of our high HP and VIT. And leveling warrior for sub is fun too.
And Elvaan is the best race, no doubt about it(j/k pick whatever you like to look at since you're spending long time with it). I must warn you though that Windurst is horrible, I get lost there every time I visit there. And Bastok is just ugly. Sandy on the other hand is pretty and easy to navigate. ^^
If you want to come to Unicorn I can get you worldpass and pearls for great ls(I'm pearlsack holder) with lots of helpfull and nice people. No one from this EoFF community seem to be on Unicorn though... T.T

Well, whatever you choose, welcome to the world of Vana'diel.

Misfit
04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
ok, sure.
Oh yeah! If you still want that Pandemonium pass, I can get it today. ^_^

Ouch!
04-27-2005, 05:10 PM
I must warn you though that Windurst is horrible, I get lost there every time I visit there.
Lies! The only reason you get lost is because it's not your main residence. Once you stay in Windurst for a while it's easy to get around. Sure, it's bigger than the other cities, but the lay-out is pretty straight-forward, except for maybe Windurst Waters.

Bastok is ugly. Just stone and metal, really dull, lots of grays, and no color whatsoever. Sandy is nice but the BGM is annoying as hell.

Raven Nox
04-28-2005, 03:27 AM
ok, sure.
Oh yeah! If you still want that Pandemonium pass, I can get it today. ^_^

Get it whenever. lol

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Well, i'm downloading the update as I speak, so any last minute tips?

Lionx
04-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Not really too sure unless you get specific...althought it will be nice to know what server you plan to be on.

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 04:05 AM
Not really too sure unless you get specific...althought it will be nice to know what server you plan to be on.
Oh, I got a world pass to midgardsormr. :p
so expect to see me there in about... 1 hour and 45 minutes. :(
I actually changed my mind on the job issue. I am going to be a Black Mage Taru Taru. Good idea?

Lionx
04-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Black mage A-OK!!! O_O

If you need any help just /tell me or someone ^^;

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Black mage A-OK!!! O_O

If you need any help just /tell me or someone ^^;
Alrighty. Thanks for the help.
*shakes in anticipation while waiting for the update*

Raven Nox
04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Remember to get me a pass when you get the money!! Hehe... I'm gonna have 3 characters, why? 'Cause I can.

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Remember to get me a pass when you get the money!! Hehe... I'm gonna have 3 characters, why? 'Cause I can.
Don't worry. I won't forget. ;)

Raven Nox
04-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Good, lol. I'll make sure of it... >.>

strawberryman
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Okay, so hopefully I should start by today. My worldpass has expired though, as I thought I could start sooner than I really will. :eep: If someone could possibly get me a worldpass to Midgardsormr, that would be GREATLY appreciated.
Otherwise Gullwing will kill me. :(

Lionx
05-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Umm sure when i log in after a bit O_o

strawberryman
05-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Umm sure when i log in after a bit O_o
I thank you. :)

Raven Nox
05-03-2005, 11:45 PM
No, I won't kill you Stawberryman, just do bad things to you with a katana.

Renegade135
05-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Is anyone in the Shiva server because it seems quite empty.

Carl the Llama
05-10-2005, 07:00 PM
hello! im new to this board but iv been playing since the 16 of march and im on Unicorn too Quistis79, so whats you name in the game, oh and btw im a San d'Oian too :)

Duane3.0
05-11-2005, 03:36 AM
No offense but dude, ever heard of making your own threads that fit a little bit more with the topic ;) .

Rostum
05-11-2005, 08:40 AM
No offense but dude, ever heard of making your own threads that fit a little bit more with the topic ;) .

I don't think it matters at all. Either way you supplied an irrelevant reply. =P

Lionx
05-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't think it matters at all. Either way you supplied an irrelevant reply. =P

OMG ME TOO! O_O

Carl the Llama
05-11-2005, 03:38 PM
No offense but dude, ever heard of making your own threads that fit a little bit more with the topic .

if you hadent noticed i was replying to quistis, to tell her that i also was from Unicorn, not because i am new here, i thought id jus throw that in aswell oh and btw, no offence taken :cool: