PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Playoffs

Kirobaito
04-21-2005, 04:36 AM
OK, yay. We've got our matchups done and stuff. Now comes the fun part.

<b><u>My Official Mavs Rant</u></b> (Skip if needed :))

Never have I felt better about our chances. Not even after 60 wins. Never. This is a team made for the playoffs. If ANYBODY is going to beat the Spurs, it will be us. The Rockets' two wins against us came when we were decimated by injuries, and one of them shouldn't even be considered a game (minus Dirk, Fin, Damp). We have this team. We are too deep, and too athletic to possibly lose this series. I will be disappointed with anything less than a sweep. It's that simple. Our backcourt with Jet, Finley, Howard, Daniels, and Stack is just too physical for their soft backcourt of Sura, Wesley, and Barry to stop. That will put pressure on Van Gundy to leave McGrady and Yao into the game. Yao should not even be a factor against Damp, who is healthy as can be and has shut Yao down in the past. Come fourth quarter, McGrady's 5th 40-foot hoist will hit front rim, and Yao will be panting for air. And I haven't even covered Dirk yet. :) The Rockets couldn't guard him with Juwan Howard - I can't imagine what they'll do without him.

That said, this Mavs team has the ability to win everything for a number of reasons. They're peaking at the right time. They've won 9 straight, The Little General is 16-2 as a head coach (which, btw, is a .889 winning percentage), and we have just been superb as of late. Futhermore, this Mavs team is as tough as you'll find in the Western Conference. Since Johnson took over, we have been lean and mean. I tell ya, I've never felt better than when I heard that Jerry Stackhouse kicked Kirk Snyder's ass in the parking lot a few games ago. Dirk has completely changed, too. He's gotten sick and tired of urban stars getting protected by referees, while he has shots taken at him with no protection. Finally, he's taking matters into his own hands, and has become the defensive force he should be - in addition to his superb offensive talent.

The Mavs have two newcomers in the playoffs in Jason Terry and Erick Dampier, and they've never felt better. Obviously, Grant Hill is the comeback player of the year (IMO), but Jet should receive votes for it, too. In Atlanta, he got the wrap as being a "me-first" player. Selfish. He's been anything but. He loves where he is, and what he's doing. He's hit big shot after big shot for us this year, including back-to-back game winners against Sacramento and Seattle in February. He's one of many X-factors in the playoffs. Dampier has never been in the playoffs before, in addition, but he's peaking now, which is key. He's healthy and playing well. He's always been able to stop Yao, and contain Shaq, and hopefully he'll get extra hyped to do so in the postseason.

However, the ultimate X-factors in what makes this Mavs team so built for the playoffs are Jerry Stackhouse and Keith Van Horn. Stackhouse has got the Nick Van Exel swagger goin' on, and is completely healthy and ready. Van Horn has been through it with New Jersey, and is quite competent. It's ridiculous how deep this team is. I've been complaining all season how this Mavericks team has never shown its true colors because they've been so injured. Now that they're healthy, they've done nothing but dominate. Handle these stats:

Last 18 games since Avery Johnson took over:

Opponents PPG: 92.5 PPG
Opponents Field Goals: 569-1335 (42.6%)
Mavs' PPG: 103.1
Mavs 3-point %: 40.1

I will take that.

This Mavs team is ready and willing to go all the way.

---------------------------------

<b>Phoenix vs. Memphis</b>
This is an intriguing matchup. I'd be inclined to pick Memphis because of the way that they've played the Suns this year, but they've really stumbled down the stretch, so I pick Phoenix in 5.

<b>San Antonio vs. Denver</b>
Another quite intriguing matchup. Denver's been playing well, but it's against clearly inferior opposition and mostly at home, so I think their play of late is quite overrated. Spurs in 6.

<b>Seattle vs. Sacramento</b>
Sacto started to get things in line close to the end of the season as Seattle melted away. Another close series, but I pick the Kings in 7. The Sonics are not quite back yet from their injuries, and certainly don't have the chemistry needed.

<b>Dallas vs. Houston</b>
By all regards, the Mavs will dominate, and I will take nothing less, as a fan. Our guards are too athletic. T-Mac will have to win this series by himself, because he will not have any help from other players. I think that Josh Howard, with the help of the help defense employed by Avery Johnson, will be able to contain T-Mac enough. Mavs in 5.

<b>Miami vs. New Jersey</b>
The Eastern Conference playoffs don't even matter, really, but I suppose I have to go into them. New Jersey sucks. Miami is aight. Miam in 4.

<b>Detroit vs. Philadelphia</b>
Philly sucks. Detroit is aight. Pistons in 5.

<b>Boston vs. Indiana</b>
Both teams suck. Pacers in 6.

<b>Chicago vs. Washington</b>
The only good matchup in the East. Chicago has struggled so much with injuries to Curry and Deng, so I think the Wiz will take it in 7.

So yeah.

Masamune·1600
04-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Ah, time for the Playoffs. Here's my take on it, thus far.

Western Conference: First Round

Phoenix vs. Memphis.

Phoenix is too explosive. Look for Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion to run wild. Suns in five.

San Antonio vs. Denver.

SA is a superior team. Denver has been playing well, but this is a matchup they're not in a position to win. Spurs in five.

Dallas vs. Houston.

Dallas has looked impressive under Avery Johnson. Nowitski is a legitimate MVP candidate. Dallas in six.

Seattle vs. Sacramento.

Seattle has stumbled recently, with injuries taking a serious toll. If we don't see Rashard Lewis in early season form, they don't have a chance. Sacramento in six.

Eastern Conference: First Round

Miami vs. New Jersey.

The eighth spot is generally being viewed as a sacrificial lamb, but Kidd and Carter are playing well together. Miami still wins, but it's closer than expected. Heat in six.

Detroit vs. Philadelphia.

Yeah, Philly's really scary. I mean, their second offensive option is what? Kyle Korver? Webber never really seemed to fit in, as far as I see it, and even though they've put together a good run recently, Detroit is out of their league. Pistons in four.

Boston vs. Indiana

Indiana takes it away, if for no other reason than to give Reggie Miller once last chance to shine. A Detroit-Indiana series in the second round would be...interesting. Pacers in seven.

Chicago vs. Washington.

This is the only early series where I disagree with Kiro...I mean Walker Texas Ranger. Ben Gordon led the league in double-digit scoring fourth quarters, and every series needs a hero. Chicago in six.

Oh, and my awards for the regular season.

MVP: Steve Nash, Suns.
Runners-up: Shaquille O'Neal, Heat; Dirk Nowitski, Mavericks

Rookie of the Year: Ben Gordon, Bulls
Runners-up: Emeka Okafor, Bobcats; Dwight Howard, Magic

Comeback Player of the Year: Grant Hill, Magic. Not exactly a hard pick.

Sixth Man of the Year: Ben Gordon. Regardless of defensive considerations, I think he should be starting.

Defensive Player of the Year: Hmm, I'll get back on that. No one jumps to the obvious front of the pack, although usual candidates like Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen get consideration.

Coach of the Year: Mike D'Antoni, Suns. A lot of coaches did excellent jobs taking over after teams struggled early on (example: George Karl). The Suns, however, went from being a terrible team to a powerhouse. They started strong and finish with an excellent record.

Kirobaito
04-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Oh, right, post-season awards.

<b>MVP: Shaquille O'Neal</b>
This is a three-way race between Nash, Shaq, and Dirk. I say you give it to Shaq because well, look what he did to LA. Look at what Nash did to Dallas. Not much. They're better this year without him. Shaq, now that he's in Miami and not in the hell-hole that is LA, is the League's Most Valuable Player.

<b>Rookie of the Year: Emeka Okafor</b>
I'd go with Okafor, but Gordon gives him a run for his money. Okafor wins simply for his stats. Gordon is happy with taking the SMotY.

<b>Comeback Player of the Year: Grant Hill</b>
There is no real dispute in this one.

<b>Sixth Man of the Year: Ben Gordon</b>
Other candidates are Ricky Davis and Jerry Stackhouse. However, Davis is practically a starter in Boston and Stack has missed too much time. Gordon has been as clutch as you get, and typifies the role of the sixth man.

<b>Defensive Player of the Year: Ben Wallace</b>
I'm never going to say Bruce Bowen because he's a sick and disgusting player who takes cheap shots and doesn't stand up for what he pulls on the court (and I will always say that...frustation my ass, he's dirty). There hasn't been any runaway candidate, so just go with the safe pick.

<b>Coach of the Year: Rick Carlisle</b>
He's taken a team decimated by injuries and suspensions and gotten them in playoff contention. George Karl and Scott Skiles are also legit candidates.

<b>All-NBA First Team</b>
C Shaquille O'Neal
F Tim Duncan
F Dirk Nowitzki
G LeBron James
G Steve Nash

<b>All-Rookie</b>
C Dwight Howard
F Emeka Okafor
F Luol Deng
G Ben Gordon
G Josh Smith

<b>All-Defense</b>
C Ben Wallace
F Tim Duncan
F Shawn Marion
G Josh Howard
G Allen Iverson

Masamune·1600
04-21-2005, 05:48 AM
All good points. I simply took Nash because the Suns made such an incredible improvement. As much as Shaq has altered the balance of power, the Heat did make the second round of the Playoffs last year. The Lakers have had a rough year, but looked fine until Tomjanovich left. I attribute much of their fall to the simple fact that Hamblen never struck me as a legitimate coach. You're definitely right as to the fact that Dallas improved, but I think that has less to do with Nash and more with who is on the team.

As to Rookie of the Year, it was definitely a tough call. Okafor averaged a double-double, but Gordon proved to be a catalyst for another team that completely turned things around. The Bulls had been awful since Jordan left, and they did start out 0-9 this year.

I'd agree with you as to the Defensive Player of the Year, but I want to consider it a little more before making a final decision. There are probably deserving players I've overlooked. But, yeah, Bowen does get away with stuff.

I may add in All-whatever teams later, but not at the moment. Without considering it closely, I'd probably agree with your All- teams, anyway. :)

Venom65437
04-21-2005, 06:04 AM
I'm much to lazy to break everything down the way you guys did, maybe tomorrow. But I just want to heap some praise on my Bulls. What they have done is remarkable, coming from 0-9, to 2-13, all the way to 47-35, the 3rd best record in the East, and the 4th seed. If you had told me at the beginning of this year we'd play the last game of the year to get in 8th in the playoffs I would have been estatic, but this just totally blew me away. It's a shame we couldn't even just break even at the beginning on the year, we'd be the second seed.

Anyway, this might sound odd, but this year has been more satisfying than any year we won the championship. I guess it's because this year wasn't such a foregone conclusion. I have enjoyed this year immensly, and everything from here on out is gravy. I have to admit, the only team in the East I worry about is Miami, especially with our injuries, but if we make it thru to the second round and have to play them, then so be it, we'll see what happens. Bigger upsets have happened in sports.

That said, no I don't THINK we'll win it all, I'd love to, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think we'll beat the Wiz in 6, to set up the match-up aganist Miami. If for some reason we did beat Miami, I'm going to do a 1,000,000 word post on how Chicago is going all the way.

Anyway, this run has been fun, and I hope it can continue a while longer. It's been totally amazing what we've done considering the opposition we've had, and I know we'll give whatever teams we face in the playoffs a run for their money. I mean with a guy like Ben Jordan... I mean Gordon, sorry, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes :love: all we have to do is be in striking distance in the 4th quarter and he can win the game for us.

GO BULLS!!!!!!!

Del Murder
04-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Wake me in three months when it's over.

Dingo Jellybean
04-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Wake me in three months when it's over.

In 3 months, we'll have already decided a champion in months prior.

Anyways, this all matters little since San Antonio is going to win.

Del Murder
04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I overstated my comment on purpose to point out how painfully long and drawn out the NBA playoffs are.

Phoenix
San Antonio
Sacramento
Dallas

Miami
Detroit
Boston
Washington

It's a shame Denver plays the best team in the league in round one because they would beat every other team in the playoffs.

Go Kings!

The Captain
04-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I still cannot believe how shockingly terrible the T-Wolves outside of KG were this season. He deserves better.

I wonder about Duncan. If he's healthy, I think the Spurs take it, but if he isn't back to full speed, the title is fair game for more than a few teams.

Give the MVP award to Nash because even Shaq admits that Nash deserves it, much the same way that Kidd deserved MVP when he took the Nets to the finals the first time. To lead a team from a 50 loss season to a 60+ win, best record in the league season is simply awesome. Plus, I love watching him play. I've never been a fan of Shaq, personally. He's one of the best ever, but I prefer a great pass to a drop step, clearout dunk from two feet away.

In the end, I pick Okafor for Rookie of the Year and Gordon for 6th Man, though Gordon has a legit claim for both. Still, the kind of year that Okafor had on an absolutely terrible team, only Atlanta was worse, sway me.

Houston - Dallas, Chicago - Washington and Philly - Detriot are the three matchups where I think an upset can occur.

The first two have been talked about a lot, but when I look at Detriot, I see a team that worries me. Rasheed Wallace is very banged up and his availability for game one is questionable, Ben Wallace has been playing hurt and most importantly, I never ever bet against Allen Iverson. Say what you want about his attitude or off court behavior, but no one plays the game tougher, with more heart or more passion. If the 76ers had won 10 more games, I'd choose him for MVP in a heartbeat: 30ppg, nearly 9 assists, 2+ steals, playing 44 plus minutes, takes more pounding than any player I've EVER seen, yet still gets up and makes the big shots. Iverson alone could be the difference in this series.

Take care all.