PDA

View Full Version : The Mars Volta

fire_of_avalon
04-21-2005, 07:56 AM
So I picked up the new album Frances the Mute a couple weeks ago because I KNEW there was something about Cedric Bixler Zavala's voice that set me off somehow. I didn't realize what it was until tonight while I was reading some fan bios about the band; he and Omar a Rodriguez-Lopez are formerly of At the Drive-In, a band I was semi-into in 2000-2001. Obviously I wasn't into them enough to know who the band members were, or I might've realized this sooner xD.

But yeah, how do you feel the bands compare to one another? For me, The Mars Volta is obviously the better band. Don't get me wrong, I loved some of the stuff At the Drive-In did, but they've obviously become much more musically diverse than they were.

Lindy
04-21-2005, 02:17 PM
The Mars Volta is a natural progression on from At The Drive-In, as opposed to Sparta, formed of Paul and uhh...the other guy from ATD-I, they're more a sort of emo-punk odd combo, though they're actually quite good.

But, it is tricky to compare The Mars Volta to ATD-I, since, ATD-I was a well established band, and I was a huge fan, and I've been following The Mars Volta since their conception post the ATD-I breakup.

Though, while I've listened to both ATD-I and TMV progressively less lately, I still do prefer TMV since, it feels...fresher.

I still can't decide whether I like Frances The Mute or Deloused At The Comatorium more.

I suppose, Frances The Mute is a bit more openly a concept album, what with the songs titled and grouped, whereas Deloused was a concept album IF YOU LET IT BE, it had a story, namely the story of a music producer who ODs, goes to heaven and hell, choosing between life and death and finally decides to die. It's good, regardless if you follow, or even know about, the story or not.

Plus it has Televators, and I love Televators.

S'kinda funny how huge they've become now, wherever I go I hear people talking about them, or people ask me if I like them, it's kind of fun, but I hope it doesn't lead to an ATD-I style breakup due to pressure.

Oh, and I've seen them live twice, that's certainly an experience. Basically, they only very loosely play album tracks, VERY loosely. First time I saw them, they had a ten minute drum solo in the middle of one track, another they just stopped in the middle of a song, performed an entirely new track with yet another giant solo (this time a bass solo), and the moved back and finished off the other song.

I hear at their latest gig, one promoting Frances The Mute, they played none of the songs of any of their albums or EPs.

I do think they should take a break though, they tour far too much, and it can't really be good for them.

fire_of_avalon
04-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I think a full stop in touring for them would in the very least be kind of weird since they're one of the few bands who've established themselves based almost strictly on their tours. I haven't been lucky enough to see them live, but I hear it's pretty much the avid concert goers dream.

I'm going to pick up Deloused in the near future, for obvious reasons, but I am interested to see how they compare. Nothing I've read about it has really labelled it as a concept album, at least not a concept album in the same vein as Frances the Mute. More like it's a collection of songs based along the same thematic qualities, at least based on word of mouth, reviews etc. But we all know what most music reviews are worth these days.

As for my thoughts on Frances the Mute, I'm in love thus far, and I can't even speak Spanish. :greenie:

Lindy
04-21-2005, 03:05 PM
In the band description on the Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of) single, it explained the story of Deloused, and it was written by the band themselves.

So, yeah, I'd rather go by that than music reviews.

Yamaneko
04-21-2005, 09:08 PM
I have nothing against TMV. I think they have potential, but I'm tired of hearing they're the best band ever. As far as Art Rock goes Rush still holds the crown. I can also hear some Van Der Graaf Generator in their music. I haven't really enjoyed Deloused or Frances much. They're trying to shove too much material at once.

eestlinc
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Yea, I really don't like Mars Volta. The only thing I can really say is they are too much. Over the top, perhaps. My friends love them, but Mars Volta just sound annoying to me.

Skogs
04-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I got De-Loused in the Comatorium and it's ok. Recently I got a couple of ATD-I albums and I think I prefer them a lot more. TMV are a bit tripped out for me.

Necronopticous
04-21-2005, 10:07 PM
I was fortunate enough to see them open for A Perfect Circle a while ago and I'm seeing them live again in Los Angeles in June. I've been a fan ever since seeing them at the A Perfect Circle concert and I've been impressed with pretty much everything they've put out. In concept I like Frances the Mute better but musically I think De-Loused is the album I prefer, I listen to it a lot more on a regular basis. I've heard all about At The Drive-In but I still haven't heard their material unfortunately.