PDA

View Full Version : Take Two and Call Me In The Morning

The Captain
04-21-2005, 09:39 AM
I arrived home this past evening after a full day of work and the like and had quite a throbbing headache. Usually, I'd jump in the shower and go right to sleep to heal my aching skull, but since I still had more work to do, I opted to take some Advil instead, which I rarely do. It worked for a bit, but the headache still resonates every once in a while.

What do you do to heal an aching head?

Do you opt for medicine such as Advil to combat headaches, colds and the like or just try to tough it out and let everything heal itself through sleep and general body care?

Take care all.

theundeadhero
04-21-2005, 09:43 AM
I generally tough everything out. I don't like the way over-the-counter medicine makes you feel. Thats odd really, considering past habbits. :/

The Captain
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Agreed. For some reason, most of the over the counter medication has an adverse effect on my body as well.

Take care all.

UltimaLimit
04-21-2005, 09:50 AM
I find over-the-counter medicine doesn't have a happy medium. Either it gives you no side effects (but is too weak to really help you any), or it fixes the problem but hits you like a pissed-off heavyweight, rendering you doped-up useless rather than miserable useless.

Hope your head feels better, Captain. Funny timing, I've got a bit of a headache myself.

:smash: :twak: :shoot: :trout: :chop:

The Captain
04-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I think it's mainly due to the fact that I was running around all afternoon in the blazing heat and then staring at a computer all night editing various things, which is not a good combination for the head, eyes or body.

Thanks for your concern and I hope you feel better as well.

Take care all.

Ko Ko
04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
I have no idea what a headache is like. All my life I've had sinus infections, but not proper headaches.
Sorry I couldn't be of much help. But if you ever get a sinus headache, dear Captain, do take Tylenol Sinus PM! It works a charm.
Get well soon!!

The Captain
04-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Wow, you've never had a headache? That's quite amazing, though sinus infections are no fun either.

The next time I have a sinus infection, which hopefully is not anytime soon, I'll keep your advice in mind. Thank you.

Take care all.

Ism
04-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Man, i get a headache every day and i even get migraines. and abdomanal migraines (vomiting). I generally tough it out unless its real bad then i go for some medicine.

Jack
04-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Grin and bear it

Xander
04-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Ick. I have headaches almost everyday. I go through phases, sometimes I might go a few weeks without having them, but generally I get them a LOT. I take Solpadeine. I did go to the doctor but they just gave me different tablets, and the headaches always come back anyway. So I just stick with taking solpadeine. I probably take way too many of them, but they help, so hey. I'm no good at sticking things out, I'm too weak. xD

Samuraid
04-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Sleep. Most of the headaches I get are due to lack of sleep.

Loony BoB
04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
These all help my headaches. In order of effectiveness.

1) Talk with someone. Some people have a voice which can ease my mind a lot - it's quite possibly the one thing that all the girls I have fallen for have in common: a beautiful voice. Also, if you don't talk for a long period of time, it can have a bad effect on your mind. Even talking to yourself can help with this - so long as you're talking. Or singing.
2) Drink water. This is a really, really undervalued cure for headaches. In fact, I'd guess that when you drink water with your painkiller, the water helps you more than the painkiller does. Drinking water is really, really important. Something like eight glasses a day, right?
3) Sleep, of course, can always help.

It's extremely rare that I take painkillers for headaches. Painkillers also lose their effect if you have them too often, so yeah.

Jojee
04-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I tough it out, over the counter medicine is EVIL @_@ Tydenol Sinus (especially the nighttime kind) gets me high. I took it and I was crying and laughing at the same time for at least an hour and I totally wasn't expecting that.

Old Manus
04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Dose yourself up and get back under the duvet.

Necronopticous
04-21-2005, 04:47 PM
When I was a kid I used to get headaches all the time because I have significantly different quality vision in each of my eyes and it caused one to strain to keep up, thus eventually giving me a really horrible headache.

Nowadays I don't get them as much but I still do pretty regularly, what I usually do when they hit is take a couple asprin, turn out all the lights, lay down and listen to piano compositions. Typically my headache will go away in 30-40 minutes completely in these conditions.

One of the best and geekiest stories in my life involves getting a headache. When I first got Final Fantasy IX I played for nearly 20 hours straight and got a headache from staring at the screen so I took some asprin, turned off the television, and laid down for a half hour or so until it was gone, then I resumed play for another 10 hours or so. Good times.

SeeDRankLou
04-21-2005, 07:53 PM
The side effects of over-the-counter medicine almost always outweigh how I feel before I take them at least tenfold, so I'm one to take medicine. Especially for headaches, there's really no reason to leave yourself with a headache, that's just mean.

Lindy
04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Never, drugs are for the weak.

Headache, pain, whatever, I never take anything for it, and I usually carry on with whatever I'm doing too, no point stopping for a little bit of pain.

Resha
04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I bang my head against the wall. IT DOES HELP.

edczxcvbnm
04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
I drink water. Whenever I get a headache it is because I

A) Slept wrong...so I am screwed and there is nothing I can do
B) I start to get a bit dehydrated

Those are the only reasons I get a headache now. So I just drink some water.

udsuna
04-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't get headaches... I get migraines. Vision-blurring, mind-numbing, eye-watering, nauseating migraines. And I just work through them... in fact, as far as I know, there is no medication available that work for me. I find that eating something helps, the chewing motion works for some reason. "Fortunately" my migraines have a tendancy of actually rendering me unconcious, so, when I get one, and nothing helps, I don't have long in the waking world before blissful oblivion claims me for a while. I've actually gotten to the point where I can ignore the pain that long.

Yamaneko
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I never take pills unless I'm dying.

Raistlin
04-21-2005, 09:06 PM
I take Advil/Tylenol(whichever's around) and get a soda. The combination of caffeine and meds seem to help head aches more often than not...for me, anyway.

UltimaLimit
04-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Yeah, caffeine's a good temporary cure for headaches.

I bang my head against the wall. IT DOES HELP. :love:

Erdrick Holmes
04-22-2005, 02:23 AM
I take Advil/Tylenol(whichever's around) and get a soda. The combination of caffeine and meds seem to help head aches more often than not...for me, anyway.

I'd try that but I can't have caffine.

Usually just drinking some cold water and lying down for about 2 hours helps.

Behold the Void
04-22-2005, 02:27 AM
I generally just try to tough it out, it may drive me to go to bed earlier though.

Leeza
04-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Sometimes a coffee will help. But when I get a really bad headache, which is not very often, nothing seems to help so I just try to sleep.

XxSephirothxX
04-22-2005, 03:00 AM
I usually take a couple advil, and sometimes eat a snack. Apparently I get headaches a lot if I'm really hungry. :greenie: And if that doesn't work I take a nap.

CaptRory
04-22-2005, 06:58 AM
It depends on what sort of headache it is.

If it is a sinus headache I'll take a nap, that normally helps.
If it is another variety I'll take an over the counter product like Advil or IB Profen.

Sometimes headaches are caused by dehydration so drinking water will help sometimes.

I just remembered what my mother did for the patients in the nursing home she worked in (she was the administrator at the time and had spent a good deal of her career tending the elderly)

In between your thumb and index finger is a pressure point. It's where the webbing is. It feels a bit like a clam, by massaging it and applying pressure it can help relieve headaches. It really works.

UltimaLimit
04-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Advil = ibuprofin :p

The Captain
04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
In between your thumb and index finger is a pressure point. It's where the webbing is. It feels a bit like a clam, by massaging it and applying pressure it can help relieve headaches. It really works."

That's absolutely fascinating. I shall have to try that the next time a headache strikes. Thank you kindly.

Thanks everyone your advice and responses.

Take care all.

Rusty
04-22-2005, 09:10 AM
I get headaches alot. I usually take a Panadol or Voltaren, drink lots of water and have a hot shower. Hot showers seem to be really soothing when you have a heachache. If I can go to sleep, then I try to do that as well.

Dr.K
04-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Sometimes headaches are caused by dehydration so drinking water will help sometimes.
That's what I live by. Whenever I get an achey head or start getting 'head-rushes' every time I stand up, drinking plenty of water always helps. I haven't taken any medication for any headache thus far.

CaptRory
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Advil = ibuprofin :p

At 2am my time I could barely recall my name, lol, let alone that they were the same.

Maxico
04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Well I had a headache earlier. I just took Ibuprofen (neurofen's better) and went to sleep on the couch. Woke up and hour later and I was fine.

Del Murder
04-23-2005, 02:31 AM
Ibuprofin works wonders.

UltimaLimit
04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
It also causes stomach bleeding. :( Of course, if you're careful it's not a big risk. Just don't gobble a whole bunch.

sephiroth JR
04-23-2005, 11:30 AM
i used to get constant migranes untill i started taking this medication,im fine now and havent had a headache for years...really, but if i ever do get one ide just take some pain killers.personally i think those pills disabled my brain from giving me headaches?