PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Brian The Pink Shark
04-21-2005, 05:58 PM
omg this looks so great, anyaway whats your oppinion on the forthcoming movie and the books (if you have read them) :choc:

Jebus
04-21-2005, 06:04 PM
It's going to suck. Hard.

You can't take out more than 3/4 the jokes, and replace them with an incomprehensible storyline and expect it to be good.

I'll be seeing it opening night. :D

Brian The Pink Shark
04-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I'll be seeing it opening night. :D

yeah me too :D :choc:

Resha
04-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Everyone says it's gonna stink. But the book...'tis awesome. I hope for the book's sake that the movie is nice!!

Croyles
04-21-2005, 08:50 PM
the audio tapes/radio versions were the best, that is how the series started
the old movie was god damn awful and not funny whatsoever, and the new movie looks quite funny

theundeadhero
04-22-2005, 08:31 AM
The books were wonderful. Now matter how much the movie might suck I still plan on watching it.

Xander
04-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I loved the TV series, although I never actually read the book. It looks alright but I'm not sure if I'll like it as much as the TV series, I really liked the actors in that. And Marvin looks weird. xD

PhoenixAsh
04-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah I can't really imagine an Arthur Dent better than in the TV show (not sure which, as I think there were two, but I'm guessing the original). I think 'the Book' is gonna be hardest to replace though, the voice for the radio and TV show was fantastic...Peter Jones I think the name was...

Super Christ
04-22-2005, 01:54 PM
I can't see how it'd suck too bad - Adams *did* write the screenplay for it.

Brian The Pink Shark
04-22-2005, 04:13 PM

yeah, i dont think it will be as good as the book but it looks awesome anyway :choc:

theundeadhero
04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, you can never go wrong with a 5 book trilogy :P

Croyles
04-22-2005, 05:30 PM
4 book trilogy!
1 guide ott he galaxy
2 the resteraunt at the end of the universe
3 life the universe and everything
4 so long and thanks for all the fish!

Heath
04-22-2005, 05:38 PM
4 book trilogy!
1 guide ott he galaxy
2 the resteraunt at the end of the universe
3 life the universe and everything
4 so long and thanks for all the fish!

There's also Mostly Harmless, though my copy of the HHG is the "Trilogy of Four" that you said. I've yet to read Mostly Harmless.

Croyles
04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
mostly harmless does not belong to the trilogy, its part of the Dirk Gently books.

Lindy
04-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Mostly Harmless is the end of the series, where everything comes full circle and ends, that and it states on the book that it's the fifth in the trilogy.

I'll watch it, I guess, I never saw the series or heard the radio plays, I just read the books.

Jebus
04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the end of the Universe
Life, The Universe, and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish
Mostly Harmless
Plus the short story: Young Zaphod Plays it Safe

Dirk Gently:
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul
And an unfinished story which was released in The Salmon of Doubt.

*show off*

Anyway, DA wrote the ORIGINAL screenplay. That doesn't mean they still didn't ruin it.

www.planetmagrathea.com/notinthefilm.html
www.planetmagrathea.com/shortreview.html

Brian The Pink Shark
04-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Mostly Harmless is the end of the series, where everything comes full circle and ends, that and it states on the book that it's the fifth in the trilogy.

I'll watch it, I guess, I never saw the series or heard the radio plays, I just read the books.

ending of series! it ended on the greatest cliffhanger of the whole series, obviously Adams had been planning a sixth :choc:

Super Christ
04-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Felt more to me like he was just trying to end the series with the last two books.

XxSephirothxX
04-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid it won't be too good, but it looks decent, and I love the series...I just hope they don't mess it up too badly. The guy who played Arthur in the BBC show did his voice for the radio series, so that's why he was so perfect.

Brian The Pink Shark
04-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid it won't be too good, but it looks decent, and I love the series...I just hope they don't mess it up too badly. The guy who played Arthur in the BBC show did his voice for the radio series, so that's why he was so perfect.

or so PREFECT get it, hohoho im so funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :choc:

Yugo
04-23-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi and special effects. This is a movie I'm really looking forward to. I have never read the book but I'm sure it would be worth while to read. I may pick it up someday.

Brian The Pink Shark
04-23-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi and special effects. This is a movie I'm really looking forward to. I have never read the book but I'm sure it would be worth while to read. I may pick it up someday.

your gonna be disapointed then, it's more of a comedy :choc:

Strange Rikku
04-25-2005, 05:03 AM
I read all the books, and i got tickets 5 weeks in advance.this should tell you my opinion

Martyr
04-25-2005, 05:17 AM

Douglas Adams did write the screenplay. Apparently, he didn't want the movie to be done. Something like "Over my dead body" is probably the utterance he procured concerning the issue.

Now he's dead and we're all going to go and watch the movie that he didn't want us to see because he didn't deem it good enough.

Let us march on and desecrate the rotting corpse of a man (An atheist for heaven's sake) who we all seem to admire and respect. Meanwhile, we can feed his enemies and not have an extremely enjoyable time!!!!
(Because I guarantee you that the movie will not measure up)

Strange Rikku
04-25-2005, 11:30 PM

Douglas Adams did write the screenplay. Apparently, he didn't want the movie to be done. Something like "Over my dead body" is probably the utterance he procured concerning the issue.

Now he's dead and we're all going to go and watch the movie that he didn't want us to see because he didn't deem it good enough.

Let us march on and desecrate the rotting corpse of a man (An atheist for heaven's sake) who we all seem to admire and respect. Meanwhile, we can feed his enemies and not have an extremely enjoyable time!!!!

said in true HGTTG style

Miriel
04-29-2005, 04:19 AM

What?

Where are you getting that Adams didn't want this movie to be made? He and the executive producer of the movie had been working together for 10 years to get the project off the ground. The makers of the movie had both Adams' approval while he was alive, and his familiy's blessing after he died.

From everything I've heard about the movie, it stays extremely faithful to the spirit of the book.

I can't wait to see it.

Martyr
04-29-2005, 05:37 AM
What?

Where are you getting that Adams didn't want this movie to be made? He and the executive producer of the movie had been working together for 10 years to get the project off the ground. The makers of the movie had both Adams' approval while he was alive, and his familiy's blessing after he died.

From everything I've heard about the movie, it stays extremely faithful to the spirit of the book.

I can't wait to see it.

I like to keep this on the down low, but I could be wrong

But, besides all that, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Jebus
04-29-2005, 05:48 AM
What?

I can't wait to see it.

And from everything I've heard they took all the jokes and replaced them with slapstick and bathroom humor. We'll just have to wait and see.

It's going to suck.

FightClubFan#47
04-29-2005, 06:21 AM
I can't wait to see it. I read the awesome books.

Personally, I think, compared to the book, it will suck. That is why I'm pretending the movie is called Hitch Hikers Guide TO the Galaxy(NEw Capital letters andf a new space). That way, I never read the Hitch Hikers Guide TO the galaxy, so I wont be dissapointed.

Mookies
04-29-2005, 07:14 AM
That way, I never read the Hitch Hikers Guide TO the galaxy, so I wont be dissapointed.

LOL.
I read the books. Try eating the books.

Shauna
04-29-2005, 06:49 PM
I just saw the movie on Tuesday night. I thought it was good. But, then I haven't read the books or seen the TV show.
I only went cause my dad got free tickets to see the show. :D

Brian The Pink Shark
04-29-2005, 08:17 PM
i saw the moovie last night and i thought it was brilliant, alot of things werent the same but they kept most of the good jokes in and with Bill Bailey as the voice of the whale..classic :choc:

boris no no
04-29-2005, 10:02 PM
i was mightly impressed with the british actors. it could of been made bad but they did so well!
plus bill baily as a whale! xD hello ground
xD
and stephan fry as the narrator
xD
soooooooooo good! i laughed my sockies off!

Brian The Pink Shark
04-29-2005, 10:06 PM
i was mightly impressed with the british actors. it could of been made bad but they did so well!
plus bill baily as a whale! xD hello ground
xD
and stephan fry as the narrator
xD
soooooooooo good! i laughed my sockies off!

the guy that played Slartibartfast was pretty good too :choc:

Ouch!
04-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm going to see it in two and a half hours. I'm psyched.

DMKA
04-30-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm seeing it tomorrow...only cause that's the movie my friend decided on.

Shoeberto
04-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Saw it tonight. Loved it. I'm one that hasn't read the books, but with the constant quoting of it going on online, I understood quite a few of the jokes.

Ouch!
04-30-2005, 03:42 AM
I just got back from it. The first half followed the book almost perfectly and was absolutely amazing. However, when it started adding in things that weren't in the book at all I started to get rather iffy. It was still very funny, but I'm a bit disappointed with what they chose to change. They revealed Deep Thought far too early in the plot and completely took away the suspense for the Ultimate Answer.

I really enjoyed the narration when they would bring out bits from the guide, especially because a lot of them were taken directly from the book.

And was that Alan Rickman as Marvin? Marvin rocked.

Brian The Pink Shark
04-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I just got back from it. The first half followed the book almost perfectly and was absolutely amazing. However, when it started adding in things that weren't in the book at all I started to get rather iffy. It was still very funny, but I'm a bit disappointed with what they chose to change. They revealed Deep Thought far too early in the plot and completely took away the suspense for the Ultimate Answer.

I really enjoyed the narration when they would bring out bits from the guide, especially because a lot of them were taken directly from the book.

And was that Alan Rickman as Marvin? Marvin rocked.

i thought the new stuff was pretty good, i quite liked the whole part of them being on Vogsphere, that was pretty funny, and yes it was Alan Rickman as Marvin and he did a damn good job of it :choc:

Itsunari 2000
04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I saw it earlier today.
Although I've never read the book or seen any of the franchise , I felt after all the hype it was a touch of a letdown- not that the story sucked ( well at least what resembled something logical was quite cool) but a lot of the humour didn't appeal to me all that much: I really didn't get the joke behind the " Answer to Life,the Universe and Everything " being the number 42 ... or the " Point of View guns." :confused: Call me stupid ...
However, I did like the characters - that crazy narcissistic President was just hilarious and I thought Alan Rickman's voice was just perfect for Marvin.Bill Nighy did a good turn as the planetary industrialist.Besides that , the visual effects were amazing.

Anyway,I think I may have appreciated it better if I'd taken the time to read the book beforehand.

Fate Fatale
04-30-2005, 11:04 PM
OK, I saw it opening night (last night here) and it ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was utterly hilarious... lol, deep think was funny (I've never read the books, so this was new) I got all of the jokes it was funny..."Hmmm... What am I, ooh! Whats this? I'll call it a tail! What's this I'm rapidly approaching? cloud, mound, fround... I know! Ground!" XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Martyr
05-01-2005, 07:10 AM
I was afraid of spoiling something, so I'm not going to say much, even though I want to.

Simply: It isn't the same as the book, even though there are many of the same situations and jokes.
The movie has some very amusing new bits, but many more that are inferior.
I like the book better.

And I pray for the young students of the future who watch the movie instead of read the Hitchikers Guide when they're trying to get a book report done in the last minute.

Miriel
05-02-2005, 01:05 AM
I enjoyed it.

I wish that they'd kept in certain plot elements since the only complaint that all my friends had (and none of them had read the book) was that the plot was pretty flimsy. I could get where they're coming from with that complaint. The movie is pretty frantically paced, and for the uninitiated it might've been a little hard to grasp what was happening. Which is precisely how Arthur felt...so maybe that was the point?

But still, it was funny, and quirky, and a decent adaptation of the book. It wasn't amazing, but it worked.

I absolutely loved the animated guide. It was perfection.

If you stayed after the credits, they had a nice little extra segment with the Hitchhiker's guide.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Loved it. A good adaptation. Can't wait for the sequel.

Raistlin
05-02-2005, 01:23 AM

ending of series! it ended on the greatest cliffhanger of the whole series, obviously Adams had been planning a sixth :choc:
Adams was strongly considering turning <i>The Salmon of Doubt</i>, the unfinished Dirk Gently story, into the sixth Hitchhiker book. However, <i>Mostly Harmless</i> was, when he wrote it, the end of the Hitchhiker series.

Anyway, copy/pasted from my LJ:

I just got back from seeing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I wasn't disappointed.

This was chiefly because I didn't go in expecting it to be as good as the book, because that would be an impossible task(or, as Trillian would say, "very improbable").

First off, I have to say, the "one-head-under-the-other" thing for Zaphod was kinda lame. And am I the only person who pronounced it "Zah-fod" instead of "Zay-fod?"

However, the characters were decent, there were plenty of funny spots, the Guide was done about as well as it could have been, and Marvin(who was my favorite character from the books) was absolutely perfect. And, most importantly, it was a fitting tribute to the late Douglas Adams, the most creative, humorous, and brilliant writer in history, who unfortunately didn't get to see the movie he tried for years and years to make.

Compared to the old TV shows...I'd have to say the movie was better. The TV show completely followed the books, but that only leads to disappointment. Plus, the Vogons, the spaceship, Magrathea...the movie has a huge advantage with more modern graphics. However, I have to say the old Guide was, if anything, <i>better</i> than the movie version(though the movie version was well done, too).

Excelsior
05-02-2005, 04:40 AM
i just got back from it. not sure what to think. i thought alot of it was funny, but not in the laugh out loud kind of way. and i didnt really get most of it (didnt read the book) however, it did make me want to read the book, in hopes that ill understand it better and figure out what some of this stuff is anyway.

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2005, 04:44 AM
The book was far better, and I overall enjoyed the movie, but I'd have to say it was only "decent." I disliked the way it was kiddyized, and the romance between Trillian and Arthur just didn't seem well done at all. I didn't like it when it strayed from the book, but I know it's good, because if it was exactly the same it'd be dull. Some of the stuff they added in was hilarious, and other parts were just a bit lame. Zaphod was outstanding, and Alan Rickman was perfect as Marvin. One thing I thought was awesome--seeing the BBC show's Marvin in the line on Vogsphere. Sweet cameo.

Brian The Pink Shark
05-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Anyway, copy/pasted from my LJ:

I just got back from seeing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I wasn't disappointed.

This was chiefly because I didn't go in expecting it to be as good as the book, because that would be an impossible task(or, as Trillian would say, "very improbable").

First off, I have to say, the "one-head-under-the-other" thing for Zaphod was kinda lame. And am I the only person who pronounced it "Zah-fod" instead of "Zay-fod?"

However, the characters were decent, there were plenty of funny spots, the Guide was done about as well as it could have been, and Marvin(who was my favorite character from the books) was absolutely perfect. And, most importantly, it was a fitting tribute to the late Douglas Adams, the most creative, humorous, and brilliant writer in history, who unfortunately didn't get to see the movie he tried for years and years to make.

i always pronounced it Zah-Fod as well and i always didnt imagine the heart of gold to be spherical

oh and for all you lovely brittish people, the original tv series is showing agian from Tuesday night at 11:20 on BBC2 :D

:choc:

Giga Guess
05-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Great movie! Can't wait to read the book!