PDA

View Full Version : Sequals

I Don't Need A Name
04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
there was originally supposed to be two sequals. they were Final Fantasy X- Yuna Version and Final Fantasy X- Rikku version. your thoughts please. it was also mistakenly named the first ff to have a sequal. ff V had the first sequal called "Legend of crystals"

Old Manus
04-21-2005, 08:00 PM
My thoughts are....I have no thoughts on this. It's new to me.

I Don't Need A Name
04-21-2005, 08:05 PM
ive only just found out myself

Destai
04-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Im VERY grateful it never happened.

Old Manus
04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
It would have been better if X-2 didn't happen.

Destai
04-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes I thought X ended perfectly. It was dramatic and touching and said "enough" by which I mean it made it clear that Tidus was revived and that was heart warming but X-2 took that ending and made it SUPER HAPPY YAY4PINK100SUPER% HAPPY ENDING YAY!

rubah
04-21-2005, 11:25 PM
ffx's ending? happy?

which game did *YOU* play ;P

TheSpoonyBard
04-21-2005, 11:32 PM
final-andy, where did you find this information? What is it's source? If I could double-check what you are saying is true then I may be able to form some opinion of it.

BackRoomKid
04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
I remember hearing about this...but not about yuna, only rikku...I can't remember the source, I think i just remember someone on the forums talk about it once

i think it would have been interesting...of course, most final fantasy fans prefer NEW stories but having a NEW point of view would have been cool to see

Masamune·1600
04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Calling Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals a sequel to FFV is somewhat deceptive. While it did follow the events of FFV, and was relatively loyal to the game, it wasn't produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi or anyone else officially associated with Final Fantasy. It's not actually a game, by the way, but rather an anime split into four chapters: Fire, Wind, Dragon, and Star. The cover specifically says "based on", so while it is a sequel, it's not an official sequel, per se. Or, at least not in the sense that FFX-2 and the different parts of the Compilation of FFVII are sequels.

Some information on FF: LotC can be found here (http://www.ffcompendium,com/h/). Just enter the segment designated "LotC."

I Don't Need A Name
04-22-2005, 05:20 PM
i got it from http://www.warmech.net/warmech.html

ShivaBlizzard8
04-22-2005, 06:00 PM
final-andy is right about the planned FFX Yuna and Rikku versions. When FFX-2 was still in production, Square originally planned to release only one sequel, but in one game you would play as Yuna and the other you would play as Rikku. I think they were thinking of something along the lines of Pokemon, in which each colored version is the same game, but each gives you slightly different options. However, as FFX-2 developed further, they scrapped that idea for what we now know as FFX-2, in which Yuna is the only character you fully control.

I recall all this info coming out around 2001 or so when FFX-2 was the new big thing being developed.

In any case, although I find FFX-2 to be a fun game, I agree that it is not on par with FFX, and its attempts to basically re-write the FFX storyline (i.e. who the Fayth were and how their dreams exist actually made some kind of sense before X-2) took away from the delightfully tragic ending of Tidus and Yuna. I think its more realistic that things don't always end happily, and that to save the world, sometimes we must sacrifice that which is most important to us.

As for Legend of the Crystals, I have no clue about its connections to FF5.

crashNUMBERS
04-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes. I have also seen this same info at the same site final-andy has given. But for some reason the rikku version was cancelled...

Squall of SeeD
04-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Calling Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals a sequel to FFV is somewhat deceptive. While it did follow the events of FFV, and was relatively loyal to the game, it wasn't produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi or anyone else officially associated with Final Fantasy. It's not actually a game, by the way, but rather an anime split into four chapters: Fire, Wind, Dragon, and Star. The cover specifically says "based on", so while it is a sequel, it's not an official sequel, per se. Or, at least not in the sense that FFX-2 and the different parts of the Compilation of FFVII are sequels.

Some information on FF: LotC can be found here (http://www.ffcompendium,com/h/). Just enter the segment designated "LotC."

While not developed by the folks at Square itself, it was produced with their permission and under their supervision. "Square Co. Ltd." is in the credits under "Production Cooperation," and Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu are under "Production Supervision."

It's still a sequel in that it's based off of plot elements of Final Fantasy V specifically, and it's really still official in that Square gave their permission for the project to be made, supervised it, and had the power to prevent it from being made if they had so wished.

Masamune·1600
04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
I agree somewhat, but Square's supervisory role doesn't necessarily imply direct involvement. As I understand it, Sakaguchi and Uematsu had veto power over the operation, which they obviously chose not to exercise. I suppose that could be taken as mute testimony to the legitimacy of LotC, but I think you would agree with me when I say that it doesn't fall into the same category of sequels as X-2 or any of the Compilation projects.

Given that Square was not really the primary agent in the creation and distribution of LotC, I suppose I would compare it to the plethora of Star Wars novels that take up the story after Return of the Jedi. There's a kind of legitimacy, to be sure, but they wouldn't qualify as sequels in the same way as, say, an Episode VII would.