PDA

View Full Version : Slow running computer

Cybele
04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
My computer's been running really slow. I don't know why, I have full virus/trojan/firewall protection and spyware/adware protection. I checked the cpu usage and it isn't using anything more than what my parent's computer is using and theirs isn't going so slow. I scanned my computer for both viruses/trojans and spyware/adware and nothing came up. It was working fine until I got a major auto-update for my virus protection then it just completely slowed down. My mom says that she hasn't gotten that update though and we have the same stuff installed. So, any ideas on what's going on?

rubah
04-22-2005, 12:38 AM
when was the last time you rebooted?

what shows up in your startup thinger? (run msconfig and look, but just don't touch anything unless you're super l33t^_^;;)

Cybele
04-22-2005, 12:45 AM

what shows up in your startup thinger? (run msconfig and look, but just don't touch anything unless you're super l33t^_^;;)

I tried rebooting multiple times, but it didn't speed up.

I dunno, I'm not sure how to access it. I probably sound like a moron, but what's msconfig?

crono_logical
04-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Start > Run > type msconfig and click OK :p

I checked the cpu usage and it isn't using anything more than what my parent's computer is using and theirs isn't going so slowThat tells us nothing, since the computers could be different speeds to start with. Numbers give a better idea, such as % used, and the CPU speed :p Maybe which program is using more under the Processes tab in there as well, to help pinpoint the culprit :p

Also, what anti-virus software are you using? You said you just updated it, and newer ones are known to be nice bloaty memory and processor hogs slowing everything down :D

Cybele
04-22-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm using McAfee since that's what the computer whiz at my mom's job installed. The percent that's being used ranges anywhere from 1%-80% and the one that seems to make this jump around is system idle process. But I can't change that one because it says it's neccesary to run my computer. Otherwise, the rest of the stuff seems to be from about 1%-30%. And I have webroot spysweeper trial run on my computer right now.

Edit: Thank you rubah and cl_out! It's running better now. There was something running in start up that didn't need to be that was making the system idle process jump around. I took down the one with random letters as the title, the one that was blank, and the one that starts up music match jukebox since I never use it. Thank you! :D

crono_logical
04-22-2005, 01:31 AM
System Idle Process is how much the computer's doing nothing - basically the only one to ignore, I forgot to tell you that :p

The random letters thing though sounds like spyware which escaped your scanners :D

Cybele
04-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Does that mean that by turning it off on start up that the problem is fixed? Or is there some way to remove it completely? Sorry, I'm not very bright when it comes to certain things.

Lenna
04-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Do you have anything on your desktop. Like folders or anything, not shortcuts I mean actual Direct items. If so try moving them into my documents or something, because your computer can run slow if you have too many files on your desktop that arn't shortcuts. Because the computer is trying to load all those files as quick as it can and using up alot of it's capable power to load these items because you constantly see your desktop. If you want certain files on the desktop use shortcuts as this cuts down the amount of ram used by the computer.

crono_logical
04-22-2005, 01:54 AM
The computer doesn't automatically load anything on startup from the desktop. The most it'll do is get their icons, which is hardly a performance hit.

Lenna
04-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Still, having full files on the desktop does slow the computer down, I've had loads of friends and myself have had problems with it. And when we moved them it worked alot better.

Cybele
04-22-2005, 02:29 AM
It doesn't matter either way because I can't stand having my desktop cluttered so my desktop is always clean. Really, the main question I have is this (concering the spyware that cl_out said that my spy sweeper might've missed):

Does that mean that by turning it off on start up that the problem is fixed? Or is there some way to remove it completely? Sorry, I'm not very bright when it comes to certain things.

rubah
04-22-2005, 02:45 AM
try some other spyware removal programs.

the more the merrier-- you can even race them!

adaware and spybot S&D should pick up most things. I've never used 'spy sweeper' though.

crono_logical
04-22-2005, 03:02 AM
Yes, use multiple spyware removal tools, since one on it's own won't get everything. Turning it off at startup should stop it loading and doing stuff, but it's more like a time bomb waiting to go off then, so it's better to actually delete it rather than just disable it :p

Cybele
04-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Okay, thanks. So what's the best spy sweeping/adaware program that I can use to get rid of it and where can I download it for free?

Endless
04-22-2005, 06:24 PM
<a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/">Adaware</a>
<a href="http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html">Spybot S&D</a>

Max
04-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Get microsoft antispy. Its a full version and its free :)

KuRt
04-29-2005, 12:48 PM

actualy, itīs not l33t, itīs 1337

Samuraid
04-29-2005, 03:42 PM

actualy, itīs not l33t, itīs 1337

actually, it's either one :D