PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana

Pauten
04-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Two Question's did this band change the way rock music was going in the 90s and was Kurt Cobain murdered?

What do you think?

gokufusionss1
04-22-2005, 11:52 PM
no and no

Skogs
04-22-2005, 11:56 PM
No, they rode the wave, but they certainly didn't start it.

And no, he shot himself.

Pure Strife
04-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Better question: would they be as well known if Cobain was still alive?

Meat Puppet
04-23-2005, 03:37 AM
No.

Ism
04-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Yes they change it and No, Kurt Cobain killed himself.
And they wouldnt be as famous if Cobain was still alive (god bless his soul).

Go Nirvana.

theundeadhero
04-23-2005, 08:54 AM
They didn't start it but they carried it mainstream. I think he killed himself :(

I have a Nirvana tattoo on my left shoulder :)

Dr.K
04-23-2005, 01:43 PM
I think he shot himself and that they didn't really change the face of rock in the 90's, although they were good.
I don't think they'd be quite as well known if he'd survived, as it seems like when an artist or a member of a band dies, they gain insane amounts of fame. Tupac being an example, I feel. Good musician, but hardly the king of rap surely?

Chris
04-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Kurt Cobain didn't kill himself... Courtney Love did.
I've believed that for years... and I still believe that's the truth.

Sephex
04-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't really think they changed anything, but they had a good sound for the time. I am not sure if he killed himself or not. I can see both sides there.

On a more personal note, I believe that if Kurt didn't die, they would not be NEARLY as popular as they are today. Most of the teens who claim to like them today are just saying that to be cool. I'm 22 (almost 23), and I was just old enough for them to be part of "my generation".

Pure Strife
04-23-2005, 06:57 PM
On a more personal note, I believe that if Kurt didn't die, they would not be NEARLY as popular as they are today. Most of the teens who claim to like them today are just saying that to be cool. I'm 22 (almost 23), and I was just old enough for them to be part of "my generation".

Ah yes, the Nirvana phase, usually preceeded by the Good Charlotte/Blink 182 phase, and often followed by the Metallica phase. And occasionally on from there by the Cradle Of Filth/other heavily make-uped screaming band phase as the kids grow.

If nothing else Kurt had damn fine hair during their later years.

theundeadhero
04-23-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm 22 (almost 23), and I was just old enough for them to be part of "my generation".Myself as well.

Emerald Aeris
04-23-2005, 07:26 PM
"Two Question's did this band change the way rock music was going in the 90s and was Kurt Cobain murdered?"

Somewhat, and yes. He was on enough drugs that I don't see how it would've been physically possible to kill himself. Love's own FATHER said once that he wouldn't be surprised if she killed him. Creepy.

"Better question: would they be as well known if Cobain was still alive?"

I've never understood why everything thinks that Nirvana is so overrated and that they would be nothing if Kurt hadn't killed himself. I had liked Nirvana for quite a while before I knew he killed himself. :P Besides that, it just doesn't work that way. Would the beatles still be well known if John hadn't been killed? Of course! It ONLY causes waves in the music industry/populace if the band is already popular. How many people outside of metal-lovers know who Dimebag Darrel is? How about that he died recently? Nirvana was already bigger than that when Kurt died.

"Most of the teens who claim to like them today are just saying that to be cool. I'm 22 (almost 23), and I was just old enough for them to be part of "my generation"."

Was? Why the hell do you have to like the music right when it comes out to have an opinion? That's just silly. Music is music, it doesn't matter when you listen to or like it. I didn't like Nirvana until about 5 years ago.

I think Nirvana deserves their fame. they're hardly hailed as the best band ever or anything, just very good. I think they were very good. Lyrically, melodically, technically. They were just very good. They were great at their heavy grungey sound, but also showed they had a softer side with songs like Polly and their unplugged album (which is excellent, I should mention!).

Just because they didn't invent grunge doesn't mean they didn't change rock, at least somewhat. I don't think saying "they brough the sound mainstream" and "they didn't change rock" make sense. They were part of a turn in music where heavier stuff was being brought mainstream.

People are always so completely critical of Nirvana. It seems like the new elitist "cool" thing to do, nevermind teens liking Nirvana.

Pauten
04-23-2005, 07:40 PM
What Kurts death did was make them even more explotable so yes i have to say they went from famous to legendary after that and the myth that kurt was murdered only adds to that. Like jim morrison or Sid and Nancy its all part of Rock 'n' Roll. I think if Kurt was still alive he wouldnt be performing anymore maybe a producer or a song writer. He did once say thats what he would like to do.

People always seem to interperate the whole setting surrounding the MTV unplugged performance as "like a funeral" and "kurt was almost singing at his own funeral."
I disagree with that strongly, I think that Cobain had envision a funeral, but not for himself. A funeral for Nirvana. He wanted out of the band there was no denying that. I couldnt see how he would kill himself. Dave Grohl stated that Kurts outlook on life changed after his daughter Francis Bean was born. I guess we'll never know that though.

Personally though, those last lines on the suicide note always bothered me...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Goin' with Elly on this one.

LH
04-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Nirvana was the first band that I decided all on my own that I like. I think I was in fourth grade at the time, and it was only a few months later that he died. I remember sitting in in-school suspension at age 10 drawing portraits of Kurt. Over the years, my opinion of them has changed, and they went from being my favorite band to being a band I will occasionally listen to. As I got older my tastes changed, etc, but I still remember seeing the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on MTV and in contrast with the crap they were rotating then (Boyz II Men, Janet Jackson, stupid mushy R&B crap) and it was awesome. I still remember every time MTV, in their pre-TRL days, decided to air a best 100 videos of all time special, I would make sure I would catch Lithium, Come As You Are, Heart Shaped Box, and Smells Like Teen Spirit at #1.

They may not have invented grunge music, but they certainly brought it to everyone's attention and changed the way music sounded in the 90's. That is undeniable. Nirvana is one band that I think would be just as successful had Kurt lived. Nevermind sold millions before Kurt's suicide. They probably wouldn't have all the teeny-boppers riding the trend and buying all their records though, because that only seems to happen when a band is no longer around. (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc... not to take anything away from them, especially Led Zeppelin, but it's the trendy thing to do to like them. Anyone who replies with something along the lines of "I like them for a reason other than because it's trendy" is an idiot.)

And I don't really think Courtney Love killed him. My friend steadfastly claims that she did, but I don't buy it. Most people don't know that when Kurt arrived home to kill himself, he was leaving from a hospital where he stayed recovering from a suicide attempt (I think a heroin overdose) a few days earlier. Maybe if there is a book on the subject I'll pick it up, but for now I'm going to have to go with the mainstream story that it was a suicide, as unhip as that is for me to do. :tongue:

Devourment
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
No & no.

One word for Nirvana - Overrated. Nuff said.

theundeadhero
04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Personally though, those last lines on the suicide note always bothered me...It wasn't a suicide note. It was a note saying he wanted to quit Nirvana. I still believe it was suicide, but not a suicide note.

when Kurt arrived home to kill himself, he was leaving from a hospital where he stayed recovering from a suicide attempt (I think a heroin overdose) a few days earlier.The biography says he was in a drug rehab center (self-admitted) when he jumped the fence and ran away. He was missing for three days. In those three days he bougt a gun from somewhere (don't remember if it was a pawn shop or a gun shop) and was found dead in the apartment the morning of the third day.