PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it....

Mittopotahis
04-23-2005, 11:55 PM
I always see and hear people refering to Final Fantasy III as IV...What's going on there? Are they the same game (dont know how that works) or did they miss III, and called it IV? or was there a game in between? What happened...I'm reallly confused...

TheAbominatrix
04-23-2005, 11:59 PM
You hear people refering to II as IV and III as VI. There's an FAQ thread stickied in this forum that explains it all, but I'll rehash it here. Final Fantasy I was released in America for the NES as Final Fantasy I. Final Fantasy II and III were not released in America. So when they released Final Fantasy IV for the SNES, they called it Final Fantasy II. When they releast Final Fantasy VI for the SNES, they called it Final Fantasy III. All that was to keep from 'confusing' American gamers.

Final Fantasy VII, however, came out with its original name, as have all FF games since.

Mittopotahis
04-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Wait...so if VI is III...but isnt VI the one with Locke and Celes and all that? And the really good graphics (for its time)...so VI is III, and then there is VI?

TheAbominatrix
04-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Lets try this again, timeline wise (vaguely, at least)

Final Fantasy I was released in America for the NES as Final Fantasy I.
Final Fantasy II was not released in America.
Final Fantasy II was not released in America.
Final Fantasy IV was released in America as Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy V was not released in America
Final Fantasy VI was released in America as Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VII was released in America as Final Fantasy VII.

Yes, Final Fantasy VI is the one with Terra and Locke. If you buy it for the SNES, the title is Final Fantasy III for Americans.

Mittopotahis
04-24-2005, 12:15 AM
ok...i think i have got it...thanks!

TheAbominatrix
04-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Anytime. It can be difficult to understand.

KentaRawr!
04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
The story begins here...

Final Fantasy...What many believe shall be Squares FINAL game...

They give it everything they have.

It is put in a store...

Someone buys it...other people buy it...more people buy it! Wow! I never knew that happened in a STORE!

It becomes very popular. A sequel is quickly made, called Final Fantasy 2. They then release Final Fantasy 3. But since the NES was in it's later days, they decide not to release Final Fantasy 2 and 3 in the US...

Final Fantasy 4 is one of the Super Nintendo's Launch Titles! It becomes quite popular, and is released in America as Final Fantasy 2, since the REAL FF2 was never released in America. Then Final Fantasy 5 is released, and is considered too hard for Americans, so it is not released in America.

A while later, Final Fantasy 6 is released. It is freaking AWESOME and is released in the US as Final Fantasy 3! w00t!!

Then Final Fantasy 7 is released. It is totally over-rated, and released as Final Fantasy 7 in the US. (joking about the Over-Rated Part. I love FF7. ^_^)

Final Fantasies 4, and 6 have been re-released for the Playstation with their original names. Final Fantasies 2 and 5 are released in America for the Playstation with, of course, their normal names. 2 was ALSO released for the GameBoy Advance.

3 will be released for the DS! =)

TheAbominatrix
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Re-releases include:
Final Fantasy I and II as part of Final Fantasy Origins for the Playstation
Final Fantasy I and II as part of Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls for the Gameboy Advance
Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles for the Playstation
Final Fantasy V and VI as part of Final Fantasy Anthologies for the Playstation.
Final Fantasy III will be released for the DS

To note, the names of these packages differ for the European releases, but all the numbers are right.

Destai
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Re-releases include:
To note, the names of these packages differ for the European releases, but all the numbers are right.*grabs Baton* European releases:
I and II was released for PS1 as FForigins
I and II also released as FF dawn of souls for GBA
IV and V was released for PS1 as FF Anthology
VI was released for PS1 as a single game but with a FFX demo disc.

DJZen
04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Europe didn't have the numbers problem since they didn't even get any FF games (besides Mystic Quest, which some feel doesn't count) prior to FFVII.

Mittopotahis
04-30-2005, 01:50 PM
So, when III is being released on the DS, is it going to be the one that was never realeased outside Japan, or VI?

TheAbominatrix
04-30-2005, 02:12 PM
It's going to be III. They dont do the messed up numbering system anymore. Everything we get now is numbered as it is in Japan.

Mittopotahis
04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
ok thanks! I cant wait (PS. I am geting DoS for my b'day and i am really excited about it! 12 more days!)

KentaRawr!
04-30-2005, 08:49 PM
You will love DOS.

^_^ FF2 isn't very good to me...but that is just my opinion.

The Extra Dungeons in Final Fantasy 1 are a blast. At least I think so...

You get to fight bosses from Final Fantasies 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If you have played those games, it is a bit more fun when you fight the bosses. Minor It has Octo! (Not sure what his name was in the SNES version of FF6)

**ShadowZone**
05-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Ok I have found the answer to my own Thread (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61477). I have found this site which explains it all to me.

http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff6/ff6about.htm