PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, but Final Fantasy VII needs to die now....

Buccura
04-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Ok, let me start by saying this. I, Love, Final Fantasy VII. It was the game (Along with Pokemon Red) that got me into RPGs in the first place. I mean whats not to like about it? Cool characters, fun battle system, great story, its a fantastic game.

But now, we have all these spin-offs coming out for it! I mean I have nothing really against the Advent Children movie, because I am looking forward to it, but, why so many spin-off games now? I mean its a great game but, its done, its over lets move along.

And anouther thing is, I dont concider it the greatest Final Fantasy ever. One of the best for sure, but not the greatest at all. (I think the VI and IX are much better personally). And then you have all these fanboys/fangirls who just well, wont shut up about it... its just irritating.

My point is, as much as I love the game, I think it gets WAY to much credit than it deserves....

DJZen
04-25-2005, 05:13 AM
well I hate to break it to you, but FFVII was never alive to begin with, thus making killing it a trifle impossible.

TheAbominatrix
04-25-2005, 05:14 AM
Why so many spin off games? Because it makes money. And it's easy.

I dont think VII is the greatest either, and VII fanboys annoy the crap out of me as well. But it's really not the fault of the game.

Buccura
04-25-2005, 05:19 AM
Why so many spin off games? Because it makes money. And it's easy.

I dont think VII is the greatest either, and VII fanboys annoy the crap out of me as well. But it's really not the fault of the game.

Yeah I know, thats why I kinda pitty it (I know having pitty for a game is a bit odd o_O) because its a victim of the evil hype monster.

Vyk
04-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Agreed. And I don't think anyone thinks it's the best anymore. It's just got a very high honorific spot in Square, FF, and RPGs in general. I don't think it was the best. But I can't deny all it accomplished. If any FF ever deserved a sequal it would be this one. Whether or not the sequal makes sense always remained to be seen. Though I don't think they're doing a bad job at all with the sequals/spin-offs from what I've seen. It's not like in the movies where they ruin something with a sequal. AC looks to kick ass and re-inspire the nostalgia and love of a (now) classic game. And Cerberus looks to be a fascinating take.

I've always wanted to just stay in a FF world. Espcially 6's or 7's. And just... DO stuff. Living in their world and goofing around after everything's done. Instead of putting a couple hundred extra/unneeded hours on a game, I get sequals to wallow in. I'm not what I'd consider an annoying fanboy. Or a fanboy at all. But I'm satisfied. And I'm not gonna let the hyper canon fodder ruin it for me.

Masamune·1600
04-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Again?

I'm amazed that so many people are ready and willing to castigate the Compilation of FFVII before its components are released. If you want to contemn AC, BC, CC, and DC after experiencing them, that's certainly up to you. It doesn't really make sense, however, to bash these games and movie before you actually see what they're about. This is especially true in the case of Crisis Core, seeing as how almost nothing is known about the game at the present time. In any case, as to the number of Compilation titles, FFVII seemed to have more unanswered questions than did the other games. The ending was deliberately ambiguous and open ended. While it may seem that four projects are unnecessary to fully elucidate and explore the FFVII universe, we have no way to know this for sure until the Compilation is released in its entirety.

On a related note, I still feel FFVII is the best Final Fantasy. I certainly have no desire to engage in war of words with a proponent of a different FF, but I certainly have my reasons. I feel that it had the best story and the most compelling characters. I enjoyed the gameplay aspects and the music. And I appreciated Square's attempt to imbue the game with deeper meaning, with the environmental symbolism, the Norse mythology references, and especially the underlying Kaballah and numerological thematics. While this is a personal opinion, I'm certainly not the only one who holds it, nor am I the only one who can defend it with something other than inane fanboy/girl-ishness. The other FF's, of course, have similar positive qualities, one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of the series in its entirety. FFVII is simply my personal preference.

I realize the tone of this post is somewhat belligerent, and I apologize for that. It wasn't really my intention. Hopefully, however, the pointed language will make it clear where I stand on the Compilation issue. Wait until it's released, then analyze and judge.

strawberryman
04-25-2005, 06:31 AM
VII, in my opinion, is way overrated. It was okay, but not as good as the fanboys make everyone think it is. Although, it's not very trusting of square to say anything about something that is'nt even out yet. :p

Of course my dislike of VII might have to do with my love for the earlier titles.

Vyk
04-25-2005, 06:34 AM
Curious... My like of FFVII had a lot to do with earlier titles.

DMKA
04-25-2005, 06:58 AM
It's my favorite game ever. I'm anxious about the spinoffs....of course, I'm worried at the same time.

But so long as they stay consistent and don't ghey it up, GREAT! :D

nik0tine
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I am not looking forward to any of the spinoff games, as I think they are bound to ruin a great game. Im still going to buy them though. :p I just hope they don't turn out like FFX-2.

crazybayman
04-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I just hope they don't turn out like FFX-2.

My sentiments exactly.

Maybe one sequel would have been enough. I am looking forward to AC and the rest, but I was hoping that AC would have been another RPG, with cloud and the rest as characters again, answering all questions that FFVII apparently left unanswered. (I say apparently because I am just now playing FFVII in its entirety, and I am hoping to finish it before AC is released.)

That said, I'm not passing my opinion on the spin-offs until I see and play them.

Are Crisis Core and Before Crisis supposed to be RPGs if/when they are released?

Squall of SeeD
04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Are Crisis Core and Before Crisis supposed to be RPGs if/when they are released?

Before Crisis seems to have RPG elements, and Crisis Core is said to be an Action RPG (that's the genre that Kingdom Hearts would fall into).

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-25-2005, 11:22 PM
FF Vll was a good game at its time........

Fast-Debrid
10-03-2011, 03:56 AM
I know where you're coming from. Final Fantasy is a great & successful franchise and it is hugely because of the immense positive response it has received from the public.
That is very good business. So, for the people behind it, it is just wise to continue with the franchise. However, it comes to the point wherein the beauty of the game and its story is already being abused.
That becomes the challenge to its writers --- to maintain its beauty while making it viable to the public. ;)

Kyros
10-03-2011, 07:49 AM
You know whats great? Reviving 6 yr old threads that say what should have been said for over 6 yrs :D

Jiro
10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I have to agree with Kyros.