PDA

View Full Version : spelled or spelt?

Flying Mullet
04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Guten tag, kann ich ihnen helfen?

I probably spelt that wrong :cool:
Yeah, it's "spelled", not "spelt". :p
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spelt Dumbass. :rolleyes2
v. spelled, spell·ing, spells (i.e. these are the correct spellings) Dumbass. :rolleyes2

spell1 Audio pronunciation of "spelt" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spl)
v. spelled, or spelt (splt) spell·ing, spells
v. tr.

1. To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).
2. To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.
3. To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.

Dr.K
04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Most amusing :p
I'd say spelt, in the context of words. If say, a storm was coming on the other hand that 'spelled trouble', I'd say that'd use the alternative spelling.

Psychotic
04-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Scroll down, dumbass.

spelt2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell1.

:)

Gorgeous George
04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I agree with mullet.

Flying Mullet
04-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with mullet.
:beer:

Nod
04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Psy is correct. Stop BUTCHERING THE LANGUAGE

ASL

Flying Mullet
04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Psy's the one butchering the language.

Sasquatch
04-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I'd say spelled. "Spelt" may be somewhat correct, but it just doesn't sound right.

And it's not "butchering the language" to disagree with an informal usage of a word. At least he doesn't put a "u" behind every "o" he uses...damn Brits, messing up our American language... ;)

gokufusionss1
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
i'm with psy on this

spelt

Psychotic
04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
And it's not "butchering the language" to disagree with an informal usage of a word. Because "OMGOROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL", an undoubtedly informal term, is obviously better than "That's funny" a formal version. If you Americans want your own language so much, call it American and make it totally different from ours. Or if you DO insist on corrupting other nation's languages, then copy from the French. :)

Sphere
04-25-2005, 08:10 PM
It is actually both. Spelled and spelt. I normally use spelled though...

*looks on internet*

Here we go:

v. spelled, or spelt (splt) spell·ing, spells
v. tr.
To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).
To constitute the letters of (a word): These letters spell animal.
To add up to; signify: Their unwise investment could spell financial ruin.

omnitarian
04-25-2005, 08:15 PM
v.spelled, or spelt

spelled, or spelt

Both are acceptable. :D

gokufusionss1
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
these americans are getting upity, i think it's time we burnt the white house again.

Triple T
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I prefer the British one - spelt. It sounds funnier and it's easier to write.

these americans are getting upity, i think it's time we burnt the white house again.

o.O;

eestlinc
04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
spelt: (n) A hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe.

Dignified Pauper
04-25-2005, 09:10 PM
spelt is mentioned second, where-as spelled is mention first.

In all dictionaries, the first is the first form that had come about and the second is the result of either slang or a slight change in language due to location or the dialect of a region.

Therefore, it is actually spelled. but spelt is no longer incorrect, as so many people use it.

It's much like the pronunciation of often. You're not supposed to sound the t, but it is now acceptable to, as so many do it.

boris no no
04-25-2005, 09:37 PM
O_O k....
i think its funny who we both speak the same language yet there are so many differences :)

eestlinc
04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
I think we should worry more about people who misspell words that only have one correct spelling.

rubah
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
haha, I'm a tie-maker:D

strawberryman
04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
For the sake of humor, I have voted Smelt.

udsuna
04-25-2005, 11:20 PM

You do that. Have fun. But then we won't save your collective backsides like we did during the last couple of World Wars :p. Besides, I thought our defiant attitudes were what made us so lovable.

Levian
04-25-2005, 11:28 PM
"Guten tag, kann ich helfen Sie?"

There, correctly spelt.

Ihnen is only used if there is an indirective object in the sentence.

Psychotic
04-25-2005, 11:33 PM
You do that. Have fun. But then we won't save your collective backsides like we did during the last couple of World Wars :p. Besides, I thought our defiant attitudes were what made us so lovable....you honestly believe America stopped Britain being invaded during both world wars?

...:laugh:

You latecomers helped the rest of Europe, sure, but in World War 1 Germany and Britain were in stalemate in France and Britain itself was not under threat at any point, and in World War 2 Germany tried to invade Britain in 1940 (A year before Pearl Harbor, may I add. And yes, I spelt it the American way just for you all!) and got absolutely hammered. :)

Samuraid
04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
spelt

n : hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe for livestock feed

That is the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title. Honest. :)

Dignified Pauper
04-25-2005, 11:36 PM
NEIN! DAS IST NICHT STIMMT!

"Guten Tag, kann ich Ihnen helfen?"

Jetzt, es stimmt ist.

Tag must be capatalized, as it is a noun. All nouns are capatalized in German.

And, it is ihnen, because it is a dative construction.
Also, because of kann, ich form of konnen, helfen goes to the end in the infinitive form.

udsuna
04-25-2005, 11:39 PM
...you honestly believe America stopped Britain being invaded during both world wars?

...:laugh:

You would have lost the war eventually. Just by value of attrition and resources. The best you could have hoped for would have been eventual ceasefire and a cold-war like truce.

And why is it that everyone gets mad about how long it took us to get involved in the World Wars, but now hates us because we stick our noses in other people's buisiness? You're more finicky than my last three girlfriends combined... MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!!

Psychotic
04-25-2005, 11:44 PM
You would have lost the war eventually. Just by value of attrition and resources. The best you could have hoped for would have been eventual ceasefire and a cold-war like truce.Germany would sustain too many heavy losses attempting to invade Britain, it would have led to a cease-fire eventually, but that doesn't mean Britain was saved by America. Or it would have lead to cease-fire without the eastern front.

The Germans weren't able to last against the Russians there, and I'm sure if just British and Canadian troops landed in Normandy the Germans could have probably been pushed out eventually. Yes, a lot longer than without the Americans, and with more losses and the Russians probably would have taken more land in eastern and maybe even western Europe, but saved? No. Aided? Yes.

crashNUMBERS
04-25-2005, 11:46 PM
if you don't mind Im going to go over there and say I spelled 'spelt'...

Flying Mullet
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
*smacks udsuna*
*smacks Psychotic*

Quit taking my thread off-topic and take your serious talk over to EoEO or something! :mad2:

Martyr
04-26-2005, 06:34 PM
It's "spelled," but I voted spelt because I was looking at "Smelt" instead of the poll.

Psychotic
04-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Which of the following would you use:

I dealt with the problem OR I dealed with the problem.

I felt cold OR I feeled cold.

Yeah. :cool:

gokufusionss1
04-26-2005, 06:37 PM
that's it psy, kick their ass.

Ultima Shadow
04-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I prefere "spelled". It just sounds much better. :cool:

theundeadhero
04-26-2005, 07:18 PM
If you Americans want your own language so much, call it American and make it totally different from ours. Or if you DO insist on corrupting other nation's languages, then copy from the French. Spelled in the proper ENGLISH way to say it and spelt is American. Don't you know if it's butchered that the Americans did it.

I have an idea! Let's have a war. The Brittish have to wear red coats, walk in a straight line, fire at the same time on command, and all that other stuff. The Americans can wear whatever they want, hide behind trees and stuff, and shoot pretty much whenever they want. We'll see who wins this war!

gokufusionss1
04-26-2005, 07:22 PM
the guys in the woods would lose, however if they had the french blockading any fresh troops and the spanish sending soldiers to help, while back in England there was little appetite for war and a split in parliment if there should be a war at all. The little guys in the woods would win and then force 300,000 loyal Men women and children into canada. But of course this is all hypothetical ;)

fire_of_avalon
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
I feeled cold earlier, but now I feel comfortable. I dealed with that problem real good!

Britain would have eventually beaten back the Germans, because Hitler was a retard and send the majority of his resources to Russia. You don't effing invade Russia, ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER TIME.

However, America's input significantly shortened the war in Europe. And significantly lengthened the war in the Pacific Theatre. But at least it killed facism. Hurray!

EDIT: Oh, and because I'm a mod, the information in my post makes everything absolutely true and you can't go off topic anymore. Because there's nothing further to discuss. Because I'm smart. And hot. *flex*

I say both. :D

WildRaubtier
04-27-2005, 02:42 AM
But at least it killed facism. Hurray!

EDIT: Oh, and because I'm a mod, the information in my post makes everything absolutely true and you can't go off topic anymore. Because there's nothing further to discuss. Because I'm smart. And hot. *flex*
Oh hi foa. xD

Kirobaito
04-27-2005, 03:29 AM
Spelled. There is no dispute.

Emerald_Eva
04-27-2005, 04:18 AM
I say and write spelled. But that may be because I'm in speech, and I'd get docked if I said spelled "spelt". That's all. I think I'm, like, 10X the nerd than normal just for being on the speech team, and constantly correcting people's articulation and junk like that. heh

Tonepoet
04-27-2005, 04:26 AM
     Spelled because that's the way almost everybody I know usually says it. The only time I've ever heard spelt used often was in a neighborhood where people spoke slang as their first language. Also, there's the feel factor:

"I spelled the world correctly."

"I spelt the world correctly."

Spelt seems like it would fit into old english better:

"Thou hath spelt the word correctly."

Not that I'd be an expert on that or anything. Meh, it doesn't matter much as long as the person you're talking to understands what you say and I think this poll's exsistance is proof enough that most people see the words as synonymous. Even if there is a four vote leaning twords spelled at the moment. . . .

theundeadhero
04-27-2005, 06:44 AM
the guys in the woods would lose, however if they had the french blockading any fresh troops and the spanish sending soldiers to help, while back in England there was little appetite for war and a split in parliment if there should be a war at all. The little guys in the woods would win and then force 300,000 loyal Men women and children into canada. But of course this is all hypothetical You still lost:p

I voted smelt

Vyk
04-27-2005, 08:07 AM
I say "spelled". Spelt makes me think ghetto slang. Like "Lemme ax you a question."