PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a challenge?

SoftReset
04-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Beat Tantarian on Disk 2 with a Lv.1 party :)

I managed to do this a while back and helped another guy do it, and now I want to get someone else to try it. Any takers?

Old Manus
04-26-2005, 07:52 AM
There is one foolproof way of doing it, but I can't remember. It was something like NEVER use magic when he is open, otherwise he will close again. As long as he is open, he will only use poison attacks.

**ShadowZone**
04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
how is it that you were on Lv.1. on disk 2 ???

sayen
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
when he is open only use magic dont attack him and he can only try and posin ya

boris no no
04-26-2005, 02:14 PM
if i had the time i'm sure i would....but some of us have other things to do :(
i beat it on the fisrt disk when you can first fight him. rather useful as you et lots of money and some really good items :)

SoftReset
04-26-2005, 04:06 PM
"if i had the time i'm sure i would....but some of us have other things to do"

*Is insulted*

Delta
04-26-2005, 05:25 PM
How did you do that?, you NEED to fight bosses in disc one and they give you experience.

Old Manus
04-26-2005, 05:29 PM
No, they don't.

when he is open only use magic dont attack him and he can only try and posin ya

Yeah, that's it. :)

Necronopticous
04-26-2005, 05:35 PM
I did level 1 Ozma not too long ago so I'm not up for this now, maybe later.

Ultima Shadow
04-26-2005, 07:44 PM
I did level 1 Ozma not too long ago so I'm not up for this now, maybe later.
I DID do that long ago... but I'm still not up for this right now. I've got my hands full with other things at the moment but yea... maybe later. :cool:

Heath
04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Beat Tantarian on Disk 2 with a Lv.1 party :)

I managed to do this a while back and helped another guy do it, and now I want to get someone else to try it. Any takers?

Tantarian is on disc 3.

Old Manus
04-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I think you have two chances at fighting Tantarian. One is definately on Disk 3, but the other is either on 1 or 2.

SoftReset
04-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Tantarian can be fought on both Disks 2 and 3. The Disk 2 party is Freya, Steiner, Vivi, and Zidane. The Disk 3 part is Amarant, Freya, Vivi and Zidane, and he can be beaten pretty easily on Disk 3 with that party at Lv.1

eestlinc
04-26-2005, 11:54 PM
You can fight Tantarian on disc 2 but you are on a time limit.

SoftReset
04-27-2005, 05:44 AM
That doesn't really matter, you can take him down in about 5 minutes no matter what level the party is. The only crappy thing I've found about the timer is if you're trying to steal the Demon's Mail it makes things reeeally difficult, or if you end up getting caught at every turn by Alexandrian soldiers it can be a problem.

BudSoda02
04-27-2005, 03:53 PM
It's impossible to be level 1 at this/that point of the game! You wouldn't be able to beat the previous bosses. (I don't know like Gizamaluke, not to mention the regular battles you are FORCED into at Evil Forest & at Cleyra.) Skipping battles when you're at low levels is extremly stupid, in fact, pretty much at any time it's stupid to do so. I don't know why you'd do that!
Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com p.s. It's my b-day today! :D

Llanowar
04-27-2005, 04:04 PM
It is possible......first of all you dont gain XP from boss battles only AP and the forced battles you just kill off party members and use the chars that are only in the party a short time...i.e. blank marcus etc. Level one Ozma can be done so lvl. 1 tantarian can be done. I did it one disc three before Ozma so i have already doen it.

Masamune·1600
04-27-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm actually considering trying to play a Level 1/Excalibur II game, but I don't really care at what point in the game I beat Tantarian, to be completely honest.

Ultima Shadow
04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm actually considering trying to play a Level 1/Excalibur II game, but I don't really care at what point in the game I beat Tantarian, to be completely honest.
The problem is... you can't get to Memoria at level1. In that weird place in Terra, there's forced battles that you gain EXP from. That's really sad because I really wanted to get to Neo Kuja and Necron with a level 1 party. :greenie:

Masamune·1600
04-27-2005, 10:06 PM
True. I think, however, that all experience gained from the three fights in Pandemonium can be applied to characters other than Zidane (and those characters are not Freya or Quina, so the 9999 attacks remain intact for Ozma and the end of the game). It's a shame that there's no way to Petrify/Stop the creatures, or add something like Virus to your characters. If I keep everyone at Level 1 until that point, and never use the leveled characters again, I would personally count it as a legitimate Level 1 game.

SoftReset
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I've only done a Lv.1 Ozma up to this point, but everyone I know who has beaten the game with a Lv.1 party has done it by dumping the Exp from the forced Pandemonium battles onto Amarant, Steiner, and Dagger, so that way they could have Quina, Freya, Zidane, and Eiko all at Lv.1 for Kuja & Necron.

"It is possible......first of all you dont gain XP from boss battles only AP and the forced battles you just kill off party members and use the chars that are only in the party a short time...i.e. blank marcus etc."

Actually, Blank will mess with Amarant's staring level if he gains any himself. The trick to that is resetting until you encounter only 2 Plant Spiders in Evil Forest, so that way everyone gets 11 Exp, which is 5 short of reaching level 2.

You can level Marcus up as much as you want though, and it can actually benefit Eiko's stats because of a programming bug. I wrote a guide about that if you'e interested, it's on GameFAQs as the "Marcus/Eiko Glitch Guide".

"Level one Ozma can be done so lvl. 1 tantarian can be done. I did it one disc three before Ozma so i have already doen it."

You didn't do it on Disk 2 though :P

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder

Heath
04-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Ah, my apologies, I knew you were able to get to the Alexandrian castle library on disc 2, I just had no idea you could fight Tantarian then.

Dreddz
04-30-2005, 04:59 PM
is the game any funner if u do it on lvl 1

SoftReset
04-30-2005, 07:15 PM
It depends on your definition of fun I suppose. It can be very frustrating at times but as far as challenge games go I'd say this is one of the best.

ruby_91
05-01-2005, 11:51 PM
i've begun a lvl 1 game, but i'm stuck....the black waltz and sealion boss....i have read somewhere that if i use the mage masher to attack and the tidal flame attack in trance, i should kill sealion before it can cast tsunami on me(that will kill me). but, the mage masher deals way more damage! and the dagger deals too little damage.... (i've tried to attack all the time, use free energy, but sealion always kill me with tsunami in the end...)so, what am i supposed to do?

SoftReset
05-02-2005, 12:43 AM
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_ix_level_one_ozma.txt

"BOSS: Black Waltz NO.1/ Sealion Hp: 229/472

This battle is one of the hardest boss fights during your quest. The main
problem is Sealion. He casts Blizzara on Zedane when his Hp is below 320,
and Tsunami after his Hp is below 236. These two spells could deal up to 80
damage on Geta, and with Sealion's agility, Zedane may not be quick enough
to heal himself. Also, in this early part of them game, auto potion ability
is not available yet.

One guaranteed strategy of beating them is by using Dyne attack. Follow the
tactic listed below and you should be okay.

--Must have AT LEAST 15+ potions. You can steal them from monsters, and you
might need more than that.

--When battle starts, steal MYTHRIL DAGGER from Sealion in every Zedane's
odd number turn and use potion to heal Geta in his even number turn.

--Once Zedane trances, use FREE ENERGY to finish Black Waltz NO.1. DO NOT
USE TIDAL FLAME. It will trigger Sealion using TSUNAMI.

--After Zedane's trance is over, attack Sealion THREE TIMES (40 x 3 = 120
damage). DO NOT attack anywhere more than that!!! Heal Zedane only when his
Hp is at critical stage and cannot even hold one attack. Keep stealing if
you still don't have MYTHRIL DAGGER yet.

--Once Zedane trances again, have him use TIDAL FLAME (370 damage) will
finish Sealion.

Save the game after this tedious battle."

Gwelenguchenkus
05-02-2005, 02:47 AM
SOFTRESET? From our social board? I didn't know you had an account here. Holy mackeral, this place is more popular than I thought.

I can't really do this challenge right now, but if I could do any FFIX challenge, I'd most likely go with the excalibur 2 challenge at extremely low levels, because Excalibur 2 challenges are just so much fun!

SoftReset
05-02-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm more from the General Board than the Social, but yeah, same guy <_>

Howdy >_>

ruby_91
05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
thank u so much, softreset!! ^_^

SoftReset
05-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Thank Hyprophant, she wrote it. If your interested I have a foolproof way of getting the Coral Ring from the Festival of the Hunt in a Lv.1 game, you won't find that in any Lv.1 FAQs and it's a really handy thing to have at that time.

ruby_91
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
yaeh, i would really like that! :-D

SoftReset
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM
-> Getting the Coral Ring from the Festival of the Hunt in a Lv.1 game:

1. Set the ATB to "Wait" in the Configuration menu.

2. Zidane's starting point is the Theater District. When he gets dropped off
have him hop back on the air cab and head for the Business District.

3. Head North from the air cab station. You'll encounter a Trick Sparrow
and Mu along the way. The Mu can be avoided, the Trick Sparrow can't, but
neither will be a hard fight and you won't gain any Exp from it.

4. On the next screen (Lindblum/Shopping Area) head right and position Zidane
in front of the bridge. Let the timer run down to 4:30. The Zahgnol will not
appear before that time, and by then Freya will have the lead in points.

5. Head North into the next screen (Lindblum/Square). Have Zidane steal the
Needle Fork before anything else, it is a must-have item in a Lv.1 game. After
that have whichever character has a full ATB first select the Item command. If
you leave the Item menu open and do nothing the Zahgnol will be unable to
attack. Let the timer run out and as long as Freya is still alive she will win.

ruby_91
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
thanks, it helped me a lot! (not sarcastic)