PDA

View Full Version : End the great debate.

Harvest Moon
04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Don't get me wrong I think FF is cool, but in my opinion Legend of Zelda is much-much better. Real time combat whomps turn based rpg element factors and I'm really more of a loner anyway so playing the heroic Link against a world of angst seems alot more feesible to me then in a group. (Especialy considering my reputation. :tongue: ) And perhaps my biggest beef with FF over Zelda is the fact that in FF you easily catch "dbz syndrome" as you start to level and become godly powerful. Magick is suppose to be rare and yet pretty much everybody and your party can cast something, thier damage heights are remarkable, and practicaly nothing but a boss can hurt them. I also enjoy simple dungeon crawling and puzzles over countless hours of roaming a land encourtering monsters time after time after time and having to finish some sort of stupid mini-game to countinue. (More then likely chocobo racing.) I don't know, what do you think?

Old Manus
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I think I'm right.

DMKA
04-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Me too. *votes FF*

Besides, comparing FF and Zelda is like comparing 50 Cent and John Denver.

Dreddz
04-27-2005, 05:48 PM
nothing beats da FF formula

Anakin
04-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Final Fantasy gets my vote,because it's Final Fantasy.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
What great debate? They're in completely different genres and shouldn't even be compared.

Sephex
04-27-2005, 07:32 PM
What great debate? They're in completely different genres and shouldn't even be compared.

That's why I'm not voting either. Stop reading my mind Kishi!

Xander
04-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Yeah stop reading my mind too. I love both the series' <3

Psychotic
04-27-2005, 07:50 PM
On an FF forum, you're going to get a biased result. Doesn't GameFAQs frequently have Zelda vs FF Showdowns?

Vyk
04-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Well if you group all RPGs together... Though I've honestly never been a fan of Zelda, and it's only rare that an action-RPG can maintain my interest. Not that I have anything against them. They just don't usually have the elements I need to stay enthralled. But I see your point. Unfortunately I have to keep my loyalty to turn-based since they've given us the wonders of Final Fantasy 6, Phantasy Star 4, Xenogears, Golden Sun, etc.

Sepho
04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Like a few others, I'm of the mind that the two are incomparable. I love 'em both, though.

Laguna
04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I like them both, but in different ways. They are two really different styles. This would be like comparing Metroid Prime and Halo- you could, but you shouldnt. The only Zelda vs FF battles I've seen are the character battles on gameFAQs.

XxSephirothxX
04-27-2005, 10:15 PM
I love them both, but if I had to live with one and not the other I'd choose Zelda.

Lord Chainsaw
04-27-2005, 11:02 PM
This is easy for me. I enjoy a good deal of the Final Fantasy games, although as a whole I do not think the series is as spectacular as some other stand-alones.

Zelda has disappointed me. I can count three of them that I enjoyed. The original, Link's Awakening, and A Link to the Past. The series is really starting to get stale. Nothing has changed over the course of time. Sure, Miyamoto puts in gimmicks in the new ones such as the masks and time element in Majora's, the shrinking in Minish Cap, and that stupid sea from Wind Waker, but it's the same thing over and over. Complete an annoying puzzle, get an item, use it on the boss, repeat. It took Final Fantasy 4 games to change its gameplay system, then another 6 after that, but at least they decided to change it up a bit. Even then, Final Fantasy at least has an interesting story so that the repetitive gameplay ubitquitous in all of its games doesn't wear down on you.

At most I'd like to see a shift away from those annoying puzzles, and a shift towards exploration and adventure in the Zelda series. Zelda should take a hint from the worlds of MMORPGs and up the ante on the exploration and discovery. I really, really don't want to play a puzzle game.

Except Tetris... that game owns.

fire_of_avalon
04-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I...jus...*explodes*

strawberryman
04-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I...jus...*explodes*
I concur. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Sure, Miyamoto puts in gimmicks in the new ones such as the masks and time element in Majora's, the shrinking in Minish Cap, and that stupid sea from Wind WakerAonuma has been the main one controlling the series since Majora's Mask, not Miyamoto.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Sure, Miyamoto puts in gimmicks in the new ones such as the masks and time element in Majora's, the shrinking in Minish Cap, and that stupid sea from Wind WakerAonuma has been the main one controlling the series since Majora's Mask, not Miyamoto.

And that is exactly why it has sucked.

Anyways the best is a combination of the two. .hack, tales and star ocean are great examples of a mix of real time and turn based. It gets you more involved and keeps the stat building of traditional RPGs.

I, like many, have to point out why you are compairing two completely different genres.

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Anyways the best is a combination of the two. .hack, tales and star ocean are great examples of a mix of real time and turn based. It gets you more involved and keeps the stat building of traditional RPGs.
Don't forget (somewhat) Dark Cloud 2. That game was awesome. :(
It's way underrated, if you ask me.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 04:41 AM
WHOA! Don't kid yourself. It wasn't very good.

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 04:44 AM
WHOA! Don't kid yourself. It wasn't very good.
Which is exactly why I think it's underrated.
Not many people appreciate it's brilliance.

Back on topic... I voted FF.

Lord Chainsaw
04-28-2005, 06:14 AM
Aonuma has been the main one controlling the series since Majora's Mask, not Miyamoto.

Well that explains most of it then. The early games that Miyamoto had control over I enjoyed. And I really did like the trade quests from Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time. Those are examples of fun puzzles, something that isn't incorporated into the adventure game enough.

And while we're on the topic of Legend of Zelda, I'd just like to point out that some of Miyamoto's inspiration for the series came from the Ridley Scott movie of the 1980's - Legend.

Very good movie by the way, one of my favorites of all time. I recommend everyone view it at least once.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 06:18 AM
Ridley Scott is a kick ass director. I have no doubt the movie is awesome. I may rent it if I can find it.

Lord Chainsaw
04-28-2005, 06:22 AM
I have no intent to hijack this topic, but...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 06:26 AM
AW SNAP! It starts Tom Cruise? This movie had the makings of Kick assery before but now it is assured that the movie kicks ass!

Vyk
04-28-2005, 07:05 AM
One of my all-time favorite movies... I think I'd rather watch Legend than play Legend of Zelda. Tom Cruise, Tim Curry in an awesome role, Tangerine Dream did the music for the American release. Very awesome magical movie.

DMKA
04-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Besides, comparing FF and Zelda is like comparing 50 Cent and John Denver.

Rase
04-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Neither, just stick with Pong.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-28-2005, 08:03 AM
I generally prefer Final Fantasy, as the storyline is a bit more involved than "Hero go! Kill bad guy!"

OK, so maybe not, but there's more dialogue and character development in Final Fantasies, and there tend to be more motives and other elements that make a good story. Basically, I love playing games that are like a good book, that can draw a person in. When I play Zelda, it's more because of the play style than the storyline (or lack thereof). While I do play some games like that, I far prefer the RPG genre.

Not to say that Zelda doesn't have a story, of course, just that it's always struck me as weaker than that of Final Fantasy.

Given the choice, I'd like to see more games mvoe towards the hybrid form used in games like Phantasy Star Online and Tales of Symphonia. As I understand it, FFXII will utilize such a system, and I'm rather enthusiastic about it. The only problem with that, of course, is that you can only control one character, but if the AI is good enough I tend not to mind so much.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 08:14 AM
From what I have read, FFXII reminds me of .hack.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2005, 08:50 AM
And while we're on the topic of Legend of Zelda, I'd just like to point out that some of Miyamoto's inspiration for the series came from the Ridley Scott movie of the 1980's - Legend.That's a myth. See #20 (http://www.gannon-banned.com/gbrules.htm).

Haemo
04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
What chance does Zelda have on a FF forum?

Xander
04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Plenty of chance, people here play more than FF =P

Anyway, I'm kinda confused as to why people think the "gimmicks" in zelda were a bad thing. I thought they were innovative ideas, the shrinking and the sea faring. It made Wind Waker one of my favourite games EVER and I haven't even finished it yet. Same with Minish Cap, I loved the whole shrinking thing. Just going from dungeon to dungeon with nothing extra special to the game would be boring, in my opinion.

Jack
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
What a stupid question...