PDA

View Full Version : Is SNES Chrono Trigger actually a rare game?

Zackh123
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I've noticed that Chrono Trigger sells for a lot of money on Ebay and several of the listings claim that the game is very rare. Sometimes up to $40 for the cartridge alone. However, I recently saw a rarity guide on Super Nintendo games that rates Chrono Trigger as a D rating for rarity.

http://www.invertedweb.com/community/article.php?a=371

The list was compiled using auction sites to discover how often a game is actually listed. I've talked about this on IGN and some other message boards. Some users actually say it's not rare at all. They actually produced 2 million copies in the US. The amount of people listed on Gamespot that actually own the game is pretty high as well.

Necronopticous
04-27-2005, 10:02 PM
A copy in mint condition with box and all is fairly rare, but the game alone isn't. It's uncommon at most.

Zackh123
04-27-2005, 10:19 PM
What makes a complete game besides the box and the instruction manual? I actually have one of the posters that I kept. I have no idea what exactly happened to my copy of the actual game. The battery was dead in the cart anyway so I probably just sold it or traded it in. Anyway, I recently looked on Ebay and saw the outrageous prices. I looked at some of the rarity guides to see if it was worth it and I don't think I'm willing to pay that much for it.

Flying Mullet
04-27-2005, 10:54 PM
If part of that list's criteria is how often the game is for sale on auction sites then it won't be very accurate as super mario world might never be for sale thus it will be "rare".

EDIT: After looking at the list it looks like they based it strictly on the amount of cartidges produced, or that there is a direct correlation.

Zackh123
04-28-2005, 12:01 AM
I assume they base it on any data they can get about how many are manufactured as well as Ebay sites. I know that one of the NES rarity guides was discussed on one forum and they said the creator(s) checked Ebay for an entire year to see how rare each game was. I know that one forum discussed doing research of their own and each member would choose a set of games to check on every week for a whole year.

BTW, there are 205 Super Mario World carts on sale right now ;)

Super Christ
04-28-2005, 03:10 AM
I could probably make a small fortune off selling my copy if I really tried - I've still got everything that came with it, even the ad for Nintendo Power. Not that I'd be willing to part with it. If the battery ever ran out I'd probably find some way to replace that.

crashNUMBERS
04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Hell yeah, it is!! I saw it for like $54 bucks once. And still is. Even a used copy is the same...

Zackh123
04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Hell yeah, it is!! I saw it for like $54 bucks once. And still is. Even a used copy is the same...

Just because someone says something is rare and jacks up the price doesn't mean it's actually rare. Gamestop sells it for $60. It's convenient for the sellers to say something is rare because it makes them a lot of money. The rarity is based on the actual sales on Ebay. Not necessarily the price people are paying for it.

Martyr
04-29-2005, 03:41 AM
Yeah, you're mixing rarity with value (Or supposed value)

I bet you couldn't get a Ford F-150 for $54.00 and those are so common it isn't even funny.

Rase
04-29-2005, 04:19 AM
According to everyone on eBay, it is.

And they havn't lied to me yet.

Anyway, I don't think it's rare, but I've yet to find a cartridge for sale for less than $40 (which, while lower than the original price when it first came out, is still too expensive for this poor man).

Fourleafclover
04-29-2005, 09:31 PM
I have my own copy of course but I found one at a yard sale for three bucks. I turned around and sold it to my neighborhood gaming store for forty dollars in credit.

crashNUMBERS
06-24-2005, 06:06 PM

Just because someone says something is rare and jacks up the price doesn't mean it's actually rare. Gamestop sells it for $60. It's convenient for the sellers to say something is rare because it makes them a lot of money. The rarity is based on the actual sales on Ebay. Not necessarily the price people are paying for it.
Well then if its not rare then those people are just dumb to put it at that price...

Edit: Weren't you the one who just said it was rare because of the price??

edczxcvbnm
06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Here is what would make it rare.

1 game
1 box
1 instruction manual
2 maps
1 Offical Nintendo Players guide

That would make it rare because the maps, instructions and player's guide are not super easy to come by.