PDA

View Full Version : New Revolution Details/Rumors Emerge!

Daggers64
04-28-2005, 04:29 AM
http://www.comcast.net/games/invasion/index.jsp?fn=/2005/04/25/607437.html

According to that, Nintendo has come up with some pretty unique features.

Not only will the controllers be wireless, and have gyroscopes inside to detect tilt, they will also have a touch screen on them! XD

And it looks like the Revolution wont use a TV screen anymore! Some form of projected 3D will be utilized! O_o

This information is not confirmed... but certainly an interesting developement... and if it does become confirmed, that would be pretty awesome!
Hope Nintendo can make it work. If anyone can, they can. lol

Tidus Andronicus
04-28-2005, 04:33 AM
O_O holy heck AWESOME! XD

I was hoping Nintendo would do something like this! lol

Lets just hope this is more than a rumor...

*imagines what 3D projection will look like* Wonder if its some kind of hologram? Wouldn't that be awesome?!

I can only imagine!

Supposedly the system will be backwards compatable? how would GC games work on a hologram?

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Its not a hologram. It would be goggles that you would wear...at least that is my guess. I believe the gyroscopes and the 3D as nintendo has had their wallet in these sorts of things for a while now. I however still have to see it to believe the instanity.

Tidus Andronicus
04-28-2005, 04:53 AM
Nintendo wont use goggles. I'm almost positive... they will cost the consumer too much, especially for additional pairs.
Thats nitnendos biggest selling point, their price and quality.

I don't know if they will use holograms or goggles... but I'm sure they've got something thats inovative, useful, and quality, and still cheap for the users.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 04:56 AM
Maybe just some cheap 3D glasses to look at the screen then.

strawberryman
04-28-2005, 05:00 AM
Either way, 3D imaging sounds cool.

貴方死
04-28-2005, 05:03 AM
I hate to be one to argue, but Nintendo doesn't do cheap either, their accessories are among the most well built in the industry. Compare one of their Wavebird's to a Mad Catz controller that is also wireless. Notice the seek time and distance it covers. Take a look at their Bongo Drums, compare it to the Pelican counterpart. In short, Nintendo, doesn't cut corners.

Shoeberto
04-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't doubt the reputability of the source, but you have to admit that this all seems a bit far-fetched. I want to see how this would work in application.

Tidus Andronicus
04-28-2005, 09:15 PM
This will either make, or break Nintendo...
And this will either be a HUGE step in gamming, or a complete flop... we wont know until more info comes out...

As it is, Nintendo is not doing so well, If Revolution doesn't get up enough profit, Nintendo may become history... =/

XxSephirothxX
04-28-2005, 09:16 PM
The Revolution has been shrouded in mystery for months, and I have a feeling the gyroscopic controllers and/or the touch screen is a distinct possibility. Also, seeing wireless controllers is almost a given, seeing as how Microsoft is doing it, and the GameCube Wavebird was so successful. As for 3D, I find it hard to believe it would work well, but if Nintendo has come up with some way to pull it off I'll be quite impressed. And ecstatic.

Shoeberto
04-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah, it's the 3D thing that gets me. I can see everything else. They said that they're saving everything for E3, so we'll have to see.

omnitarian
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I sincerely doubt they would make the Revolution 3D. They would either have to use goggles (Virtual Boy deja bu) or some sort of wacky 2-projector/metallic screen/3D glasses setup. Nintendo is innovative, not crazy.

Tidus Andronicus
04-28-2005, 10:23 PM
I still think anything like projecting onto a wall isn't such a good idea... and I doubt Nintendo would make everyone wear goofy goggles to play... I'm still hoping its something amazing... like 3D hologram... though I don't know how that would be possible. lol

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2005, 10:42 PM
3D holograms are a reality but far too expensive. The type of 3D that they would use would end up being glasses or googles of some sort. The kind of 3D in an IMAX theater. There would be an option to turn it on and off(there would have to be to play Cube games...right?)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2005, 11:20 PM
As it is, Nintendo is not doing so well, If Revolution doesn't get up enough profit, Nintendo may become history... =/Rumors. Nintendo is actually doing perfectly fine financially.

Sepho
04-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Nintendo has never been in trouble, financially. Many seem to forget about this little place called Japan, where the GameCube consistently outsells the XBox by more than five times, when assessing Nintendo's financial well-being. In addition, they dominate the handheld market world-wide, and while they average third in console sales in the U.S., there's no rule written somewhere that says only the sales leader and second place in sales turn out a profit.

Lionx
04-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Interesting ^^ i hope its good in the long run. Nintendo is admirable in making innovative things, i just hope it works out. Unlike Sony or Microsoft where they would not go into new territories unless its already done, playing the safe game =/ The only time i feel that isnt true is when they went online but then again other games went online first and they are just trying to appeal to a bigger customer base.

Shoeberto
04-29-2005, 12:22 AM
The only time i feel that isnt true is when they went online but then again other games went online first and they are just trying to appeal to a bigger customer base.
The online gaming market was huge with PC gamers before Microsoft even had plans for a console and when the PS2 was unheard of. So yeah, you're pretty much right with them not exploring new territory.

squareSOFT
04-29-2005, 03:04 AM
It doesn't matter WHAT Nintendo does. In the end they'll receive zero third-party support, just like n64 and gamecube. After the initial "wow" wears off Nintendo will end up taking a backseat to Sony once again

edczxcvbnm
04-29-2005, 03:07 AM
If this new technology is really that cool then developers will take an interest in it. Imagine playing a FPS where you can actually see the depth of the world you are in. I would buy that FPS to play online. That would be so sweet.

Lionx
04-29-2005, 03:15 AM
The reason they didnt have enough third party support was no one was interested in them after the N64 cart problem. I would think the GC's small but efficient disc also turned a few people away since DVDs are much more sexier in every way. Look at the GBA, there are tons of games on there because people think it will work out for their company.

In order to make it work Nintendo needs not only to wow us, they need to impress the game makers and quickly send developer's kits(hopefully easy to use) to the third party support designers asap so they can start tinkering with it. The GC has much potential, just no one pushed it. Hopefully they can secure the game maker's eyes on their machine. RE was a good step however on their GC console i have to say.

How else did the PSX get up the ladder? By impressing other game makers with their technology and signing tons of deals with them to secure their place with their new console. Its not a matter of technology sometimes...just signing that deal for the big green which EVERYONE wants.

HSU: Not to mention the Dreamcast o.o

Daggers64
04-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Nintendo is nice about their Dev kits!
Nintendo gave 2 GC devkits to some guys me and Tidus know at the C.O.D. videogame developement club for free! ^_^

edczxcvbnm
04-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Part of the Cube's problem is the controller. It just can't work for some games. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is a perfect example. The game was designed for way more buttons and functions than the controller could allow or do. Here is what the next controller needs.

Everything needs to be analog. I like the digital clicks on the sholder buttons. Two more buttons behind the current sholders. A dimond face button layout! The design of the PS2 controller(greatly ripped off from the SNES) is very versitile and is good for just about any game.

Lionx
04-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Yeah the GC's controller while not bad, just doesnt work for certain games. I liked it better when it was SNES-ish.

mmm its not about niceness its about the speed of sending them out. Once they are out people can plan about what to do, if you send them out late (like revolution...i heard the other companies already sent them some kind of early kit for people to play around with) they would have less time to deal with your console. Make it simple too, otherwise its a nightmare and they wont bother with yours.

edczxcvbnm
04-29-2005, 05:55 AM
I hear what you are saying with the Dev Kits. You can probably bet that they have given kits to their closest developers. Capcom would be a good example. They are probably just under very tight NDAs.

Nintendo has usually done a good job of creating a development kit that is easy to develop for also with lots of support...at least that is what I read. I wouldn't be surprised if the Revolution was the same way.

Lionx
04-29-2005, 06:09 AM
I hope Revolution is something easy enough to do and people are willing to push it to its upmost potential. If it works well enough, a new era of Video Gaming might even be started by this. Who knows? I hope for the best ^^;

Omg imagine RE in like that enviroment @_@ eek

貴方死
04-29-2005, 07:56 AM
As it is, Nintendo is not doing so well, If Revolution doesn't get up enough profit, Nintendo may become history... =/Rumors. Nintendo is actually doing perfectly fine financially.
Nintendo has some solid footing in the handheld industry, but they did loose alot of money on the gamecube, not because of space limitations or lack of confidence, but because of hype. Nintendos current tragic flaw is marketing. The GC may outsell the Xbox in Japan as well, but keep in mind that that is just one terriroty, and they are very much against american products, except the 3DO for some reason. Nintendo is in more of a financial trouble than they themselves care to admit, just look at the NDS, a great console, but it was conceived to hinder sales of the PSP. Thats all. Nintendo IS in trouble, and Revolution will either make or break them.

Devourment
04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I hate to be one to argue, but Nintendo doesn't do cheap either, their accessories are among the most well built in the industry. Compare one of their Wavebird's to a Mad Catz controller that is also wireless. Notice the seek time and distance it covers. Take a look at their Bongo Drums, compare it to the Pelican counterpart. In short, Nintendo, doesn't cut corners.Seconded.

What, this is madness!! But in a good way. :p :cool:

I'm really looking forward to the big R, I hope that Ninty will provide us with something special, I've devoted my whole life to them, so I would be dissapointed if they make this a failure. But I'm sure they won't.
Projecting the 3D image sounds pretty crafty... I can't wait to hear more about this. :p :p

Tidus Andronicus
04-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Another interesting article:
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35533&subsectionid=1587

And this image is just someone's idea to what the system might be doing:
http://www.samurainintendo.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2
Obviously, this is just an idea, and is in no way confirmed. And I doubt thats what Nintendo has in mind... but having 2 screens like that is definantly a way to have holographic 3D images. lol

There are a lot of rumors flying around about holograms... and then there is one that even says Nintendo is incorperating sensors into the rev... so that you could physically interact with holograms, in such a way that would be simillar to the first step tword a Holodeck.

Oh and an interesting (but fake) concept image:
http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/are_these_nintendo_revolution_images_02230405/

Super Christ
04-30-2005, 05:20 PM
So when's E3 again?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-01-2005, 12:39 AM
May 18-20.

Super Christ
05-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Awesome, so only 2 1/2 weeks until we find out for real.