PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Table?

Ism
04-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Who thinks that the *108* elements on the periodic table is all there is and everything is some sort of chemical form of them or do you think that there are more elements out there just waiting to be discovered if so what kind of properties (physical/chemical) do you think they will have?

Devourment
04-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Of course there is more out there, because there are planets that have been undiscovered, so there could be anything on there. :p :D

nik0tine
04-28-2005, 09:44 AM
I imagine that, with the immense vastness of space, there is bound to be more elements than we know about.

gokufusionss1
04-28-2005, 09:45 AM
i hate to tell you this people but what the universe is capable of is all evident in our little corner of space. There are a few elements beyond the periodic table but the crowding of the nucleus that they are very unstable and only last a few micro seconds, and are pretty useless.

nik0tine
04-28-2005, 09:52 AM
i hate to tell you this people but what the universe is capable of is all evident in our little corner of space.

And you know this because...?

Ism
04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
YEAH, how the hell heck do you know this???!?!?!?! HMM....HOW??? We are all dying to know.

Adios.

Haemo
04-28-2005, 10:08 AM
uh.. Ism remember at school this term they told us there were more elements in the pereodic table after showing it to us. Unless ur science class left that part out but dont u have Ms Parsons too. Anyway there are more elements because we can creat them... all elements are made up of protens and electrons and nuclear and stuf like that, just like different elements can be combined to make different compounds different parts of the elements can be combined in different ways to make different elements.

Shlup
04-28-2005, 10:32 AM
One of the assumptions humanity is currently under is that there are no more elements in the universe. This assumption is mostly based off of analysis of the hundreds of rocks that land on earth from various regions of outer space each year.

~~~tHe MoRe YoU kNoW~~~

Skogs
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
I guess theoretically there are any number of different elements, but we know enough about nuclear physics to know that they'd be highly unstable. Like gokufusionss said.

ThirstyMerc
04-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Um....I reckon that there is millions of different elements (highly unstable) out there. Haemo, Hydrogen has one proton. So nuclear power might give off H (Helium has 2).

EDIT: H = Hydrogen

Dr.K
04-28-2005, 01:15 PM
The amount of elements that could be theoretically produced is extremely vast, but, as gokufusionss1 has said, they would be so unstable that there'd be no point paying attention to them. So I'd say no in that aspect. However, in other solar systems/galaxies there could be environmental conditions which have given rise to new elements possibly I'd say.