PDA

View Full Version : A question of a newb ...

rpg_player_type_4
04-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Hehe, as the topic title says, I have a probably very newbish question.
Now I mostly play PS games and I never had experience with these before, so I'd better find out someday ... how about now :p

Now here goes: what are expansion packs ?

My guess is that they the complete game, but with all updates from that point already put in the disc.
However something tells me, you need more then just an expansion to play ...

Hey, once again, we were all a newb 1 day :cool:

Lich3636
04-28-2005, 04:19 PM
expansion packs add new monsters,npcs,and events but they dont enclude the actual game you need the game to play and the expansions if you want more areas and monsters in short you need the actual game to play the expansion just adds on

and "you spoony bard" was from ff IV/II

DJZen
04-28-2005, 07:16 PM
The game is the regular game, the expansion is an add-on. Optional. Like getting toppings on pizza.

UltimateSpamGrover
04-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Expansion packs are add-ons that are not mandatory, they take the original game to "the next step."

rpg_player_type_4
04-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Okay, so I buy the game and then buy all the expansions for the best gameplay ...
Thanks for clearing that up for me :)
too bad, I was hoping to save some €'s ... oh well.

And thanks for clearing that quote of Tellah, yeah it's FFIV all right.
My mistake :D

Rostum
04-29-2005, 12:05 PM
In Europe and Australia, both the expansions come with the game already. =) I think it's Japanese version you need to buy both expansions seperate, and American you buy just the newer expansion.

rpg_player_type_4
04-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Really !!!

WH000T

Omecle, once again, you made my day :p

Now for another 3 questions that are very newbish to everyone on this forum:

Is it possible to try out every job class out there (by trying out I mean at least to lvl 40) with the leveling speed or not.

Does your character level himself, or does only the job level (as in only Job levels, or a character level and a job level)

And: What's the best SUB for Black Mage (that wasn't known when I was here back in the days :p )

Rostum
04-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Well firstly, the best subjob for a BLM is WHM (and 'maybe' SMN, but if you're going Tarutaru it wouldn't matter I don't think).

You can change your main and subjob whenever you feel like it. =) So it is possible to get every single job to level 40 (although will take a little bit of time). I'd suggest just leveling your first main and sub to level 40 and see how things go.

Don't be afraid to try out new jobs though.

Lionx
04-30-2005, 12:20 AM
I disagree with SMN..no Cures and -na spells really really hurt...SMN is only for the party that never screws up...and thats like..unheard of. Dont underestimate the power of Cure.

rpg_player_type_4
05-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Ok, I'm mainly going for BM, unless something else comes along that stuns me when trying others out ...

but um ... about SMN as a sub, shouldn't it be SMN main with BM sub ?
IDK, I've never played the game, I'll try WM first ;)

and what about my leveling question.
I'm asking this because I need to know if you keep your character HP when switching job levels ... and if so, which 1 gets the best stats generally ...

Also, does you Sub level with you or do you have to switch it as your main for it to get Exp ?

I keep forgetting asking you these questions on MSN Omecle :tongue:

Rostum
05-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Your subjob will always be half of your main job. But you have to level up your subjob seperately (does not level while you level your main).

A good way you could go is level White Mage up to 20, do the subjob quest, and then level Black Mage (main) / White Mage (sub) up. Your subjob will be half of your main job, but once your main job goes over level 40, your subjob (WHM) will stay at level 20.

You're jobs are seperate to your character, so each one starts at level 1, but you can change them around whenever you feel like it, and they will stay at the same level you left it.

rpg_player_type_4
05-01-2005, 06:18 PM
ok, so if you switch jobs your HP and every stat goes back to base.

Can you switch during a battle (for ex. from WM to WAR if you run out of MP)

Lionx
05-01-2005, 10:27 PM
SMN/BLM is reletively weak and useless because Blood Pacts(your Avatar special moves) is a 1 minute downtime before you can use again, a WHM sub will help you during that downtime. A BLM sub cannot hurt anything because its power is half your level.

Each job and race has a base, if you switch jobs say to a WHM but you already lvled it to 20, you will go to lvl 20 WHM even if you have say a lvl 60 SMN.

You can only switch at a nation's Mog House or in a town's Nomad Moogle.

rpg_player_type_4
05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
okay, thanks Lionx
that pretty much answered everything I wanted to know about the classes ...

God I want this game so bad >_<
-----

Okay, for another question (I'm really bored :rolleyes2 and I want to know)

Which minigames are in the game ? I've heard of something called balista or something but I don't know anything about it, also wasn't that card game of FFIX back in here (something with Tetra I think ...)

Fullmonty
05-04-2005, 12:28 AM
ok this is coming from a 75 BLM, this is how it works, up untill you ge the second RDM fast cast job ability you should sub /WHM that way you can back up heal if needed. I actually went all the way to 75 with /WHM. Now i know you are a noob so maybe you should save this post because if you dont understand it now you will later and it might be helpful. here goes... At 75 in parties: i sub /RDM for (Fast Cast) (Dispel) (Gravity) (Phalnyx) (Higher Magic ATK Bonus) (Higher Enfeeble Magic). At 75 for Dynamis: i sub /WHM for basically one thing... (Curaga) (Curaga II) BLM get hit a lot in dynamis and its good not to have to rely on another person when there are 64 in one area. Lastly for gods: i sub /SMN, this is because the way we set up parties is that 2 tanks, a bard or RDM and 3 BLM/SMN are in one party, when you have summoner subbed you can call Garuda and use her ability: Ariel Armor on the party, which will absorb 3 hits at random, with 3 BLM/SMN you are able to keep blinks up on the tanks which absorbs a LOT of hits and saves a LOT of MP, and still get your stuns off in your stun order with the rest of the alliance (since pretty much all a BLM job is in a god fight is stun, it helps keep you busy). This is how I DO THIS!! i cannot stress enough that you need to play how you feel comfortable, not how others play. But i have found that this works best for me, BLM/RDM for parties, BLM/WHM for dynamis, and BLM/SMN for God fights. There is a lot more to BLM than just blowing /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif up all the time, its a fun job, but it can be very challenging till you get used to it. If you want you can come to my server and ill coach you on all you need to know about BLM, I am prety rich also so i could hook you up with some good gear to get started w/ too. post back here if you need a WP if you havent already started. Hope you read all this and it helped. =)

Lionx
05-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Isnt your enfeeble magic capped at a certain lvl for BLM and cannot be higher? I am pretty sure thats the case, and i dont know if the Magic ATK Bonus Stacks with BLMs, some say it does and some doesnt...most say it doesnt. Phalanx i dotn konw much about besides when you get aggro with AM..which i hope most people dont use. O_o

Renegade135
05-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Well since everyone is already talking about n00bish questions I thought I might ask my own questions wich are at least as n00bish.

Ok when you see certain weapons/armor/earings/rings/etc and they have a small picture of a tornado or something with a nuber next to it what does that mean?

Lionx
05-04-2005, 02:03 AM
The elemental resistance it gives you.

So if you see Tornado 4 there, look at Equip and look at the green dot under your equip, it will b 4 assuming theres no other gear with Tornados in them. You will take less damage to Wind spells and other Wind related things.

Renegade135
05-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Oh cool I didn't have a clue.

Fullmonty
05-04-2005, 02:52 AM
hmmm, aggro w/ ancient magic and phalnx? i dunno about that..... just fought fenrir, stunned his 2-hr :P that was awesome!

rpg_player_type_4
05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
wow, fulmonty
that's one heck of a pickle :tongue:
thanks for your advice, I'll keep it all in mind !

anyone have an answer to my mini games question ?

Lionx
05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Mini games include:

Ballista - pay gil to do PvP with special rules.
Fishing - Tug fish left and right to wear it down and then press enter to fish up fishie and other goodies.
Lucky Lady(or whatever) - pay 100 gil, he rolls die with 1-6 and if the running total is over 400(i think) you get 10K gil, if you hit certain ammounts you get more. Not that great.
Crafting COULD be one...
Clamming - Get clams in Bibiki Bay areas and hopefully get something...gauge how much you can clam and dont break bucket.

Many Events that pop up during the year like right now is Feast of the Swords, you get wooden katana and try to whack a fleeing armor enemy at lvl 1 cap and get little prizes like things you eat to turn you to a male kid of whatever race or a stronger version of that Katana.

Tetra Master is extra although i would love to get that in the game somehow....1 buck extra to play.

rpg_player_type_4
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
1 buck extra each month ?
can you change during play time, or do you choose in the beginning only ?

hmmm, I might do it, but I'd rather just level my character instead of trying to get all cards or something ;)

Fullmonty
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
the new ballista area is awesome! dio-something ghelsba rox! no more waiting for uncapped matches to start, no more spending gil on chocobos trying to get to the herald before entry time runs out..... IM LOVIN' IT!

Rostum
05-04-2005, 10:44 PM
1 buck extra each month ?
can you change during play time, or do you choose in the beginning only ?

hmmm, I might do it, but I'd rather just level my character instead of trying to get all cards or something ;)

Well the thing is, Tetra Master is seperate from FFXI. It's just an extra game on PlayOnline, so you don't actually play it in FFXI. People say it's not even worth it. But if you want to, you can sign up to it whenever.

UltimateSpamGrover
05-05-2005, 03:47 AM
no more spending gil on chocobos trying to get to the herald before entry time runs out..... IM LOVIN' IT! You know you can talk to a Pursuivant in any main city to teleport to the match, right? :D

rpg_player_type_4
05-05-2005, 07:33 PM
oh so it's not like you can challange other people in Vana Diel to a Tetra Masters duel or anything ...
too bad, I would've been interested, but if it's seperated I can just play TripleTriadAdvanced (http://www.ttadvancex.com) or something for free :)

It seems I'm running low on questions ...
Oh wait, I got another 1 :D

What's this "hate" THF's use, and which other classes can use it ?
I don't even know if it is the THF that uses it :rolleyes2

Renegade135
05-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Well it is a theif that uses it but I don't know what it is even though I am a theif.

rpg_player_type_4
05-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Well it is a theif that uses it but I don't know what it is even though I am a theif.

LOL, so much for knowledge :p

Fullmonty
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
hmmm... the hate i think you are talking about is how much hate a charatcter has, anything a player does to a monster draws hate. The trick is to keep hate on a "tank" type character, like a Paladin or Ninja. Whichever player has the most hate is the one that tha mob will attack. What i think you are asking about is what you may have heard about a thiefs sneak attack(LVL15) and trick attack(LVL30) abilities. Sneak attack by itself does not help put hate on the tank, it only scores a critical hit when you are behind the monster, dealing huge damage. When a thief hits level 30 Sneak attack becomes more useful because they gain the ablility Trick attack, which makes the mob "Think" if you will, that the person that the thief is standing behind dealt the blow. If i lost you heres a scenario, a warrior provokes a mob so that it looks at him, a paladin will stand behind the mob and a thief behind him, when the thief used sneak attack, it made him score a critical hit since he is behind the mob, and since he used trick attack, it made the mob think that the person in front of him dealt the blow, so the paladin will get the hate instead of the thief. I hope you can understand, its hard to explain it withough actually seeing it over and over many times lol. Hope this helps explain how a thief can dump hate onto people.

Lionx
05-06-2005, 02:35 AM
THF gets a DEX modifer in dmg from Sneak Attack and a AGI dmg modifier in Trick Attack, however in THF sub its only a crit and transfer of hate respectively.

I would think a THF main job transfers hate better than say a THF subbed person espcially with the Assasin Job Trait at lvl 60 in where they can do good hate transfer with just Trick Attack.

Hate=Enimity in which will determine where the monster will target next. Its not clearly cut in which you have to figure out how much Cure will make the monster piss off at your or how much dmg you do will piss it off. Generally the Melee and the Tank should get the higher end of Enimity line if they can, and the mages should get as little as possible.